Is my motherboard dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my motherboard dead?

I washed the back of my my motherboard with running water, now it won't switch. I had the cmos bottery on. Is there any hope for my mobo? Did I just kill it?

Re: Is my motherboard dead?

Not looking good. Read this thread for details on washing motherboards. At minimum, you'll need to blow out any trapped water from under ICs and let it dry for awhile (a few days?).

Comment

i poured water over my 2wire dsl gateway circuit board. it still works

Comment

How long did you let it dry out for before trying it? Are you sure water didn't get on the other side too? Did you check the power switch? The connection on the board is correct? Is the PSU power on? Is the PSU in working condition? Is it plugged into the wall? So many variables.. I really hope that stupid little CMOS battery didn't really kill it and it's some other reason..

Personally, I've dropped an mp3 player in a pool of oily water while it was turned on and it worked again in less than 24 hours.

My parents dropped their digital camera in shallow ocean waters while it was turned on and it survived too after a rinse and dry. Though now the LCD only displays things in monochrome green.

I know only know one person that wasn't so lucky. They spilled coffee on a laptop while turned on and some traces shorted. That person kept trying to turn it on before it was washed and dried so that might have caused it.
        Last edited by Deft; 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

The problem has been solved. Thank you all for your suggestions, especially Wrog. I put the motherboard in the sun for a few hours then re-tested. It switched on. I think I had trapped water under IC's or something. Thank you guys for giving me hope.

Comment

I'm happy for you

Comment

Working...
            X