Dell Studio XPS 16 Notebook Blue Screen Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Studio XPS 16 Notebook Blue Screen Trouble

I recently just Purchased a Dell Studio XPS 16 Notebook. Within a week or two of use I had my first blue screen. It's been about a month and a half since I purchased it and I have had 3 blue screens. It seems to occur when I close the laptop to go to sleep in the night and it goes into hibernate mode and when I boot it up the next day it says it there was an unexpected shutdown, I look to see what the error was and it was a blue screen each time. I have absolutely no idea what can cause this or if its something to even worry about. All help is greatly appreciated.

Intel Core i7-840QM (1.86-3.2Ghz, 8M/8 threads)
    6GB, DDR3, 1333MHz 2 Dimm
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 - 1GB
    RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP,MADISON,XPS 1645
    500GB 7200RPM Free Fall SensorSeagate Hard Drive
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Re: Dell Studio XPS 16 Notebook Blue Screen Trouble

When Windows blue screens, it writes an event to the system log. First step is to check there, and post the details of the error. Without that information, I can only guess...

Another thing you can do is to change the system failure action in System properties. (Control panel -> System Properties -> Advanced tab). Un-check "Automatically restart" under System Failure. This will leave the blue screen on the screen, which will give you time to write down the error. Why do it this way instead of looking in the log? Sometimes the on-screen error gives you the name of a file, such as a driver. This information isn't always recorded in the log, in my experience.

After you write down the error info, hold the power button down for 5 seconds or so to power off the computer.

So...Once you have an error code, post it, and we can offer you some advice.

Comment

return it under warranty.

Comment

Here is a list of the errors and the date they occured:

9/24
        The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff80002fe1477). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 092410-24616-01.

10/2
        The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff88002cf25fa, 0xfffff880094eba60, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 100210-19500-01.

10/12
        The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa8006140060, 0xfffff80000b9c518, 0xfffffa800698f8c0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 101210-24367-01.

10/25
        The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa8006152a20, 0xfffff80000b9c518, 0xfffffa80087332b0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 102510-14710-01.

So it was 4...guess I forgot one. Let me know if you need any more information.
        Last edited by Drew; 10-28-2010, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          return it under warranty.
          I'm probably going about doing that over Thanksgiving Day week, until then I have the machine. In the mean time I would like to find out why this error is occuring and if it is damaging my system at all.

Comment

Go over to the Microsoft Technet forums and send them the memory dump. They should be able to tell you whether it's Windows or your laptop.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

All of those could be caused by a buggy driver. Have you added any hardware to the laptop since it shipped? It could even be something seemingly trivial like a USB device. If you have, make sure to go out to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers. Windows 7 is fairly new, and many hardware devices had buggy drivers early on. The drivers that come on the CD with your device aren't always the most recent.

Next thing I'd try is to goto support.dell.com, enter your service tag number, and download the latest drivers for the hardware that shipped with your computer.

If that doesn't work, it may be malfunctioning hardware, instead of a driver issue. Dell usually puts a hardware diagnostic program on a hidden partition. To access it, press F12 on startup when you see the Dell logo. Select diagnostics from the boot menu. When it loads, select the thorough test. It will test all your hardware. Stay close by, as it will prompt you to do things periodically. If it finds a failure, call Dell to set up warranty service.

It may be worth trying to restore the computer to the factory state. There's usually a hidden restore partition on consumer Dells. Check your owner's manual for how to access it. Back up all your personal files first! It's annoying to have to do this, but Dell will likely require you to go through this step before you can get warranty service on the computer without a failure code from Dell's diagnostics program.

Comment

Alright, I'll start doing those things now and will post the results when I have finished.

Comment

A friend got a new dell inspiron about 3 months ago. Started to randomly blue screen, turns out it already had a bad stick of ram. Ram was kingston brand, too.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                    It may be worth trying to restore the computer to the factory state.
                    I'd rather try a clean install instead of that. I always wipe the darn recovery partitions. Preinstalled systems are designed to give you trouble in the first place - otheriwse how would the tech support guys earn their pay?

When i bought my HP DV5 last summer, it wasn't able to PLAY A DARN MP3 without stuttering and hiccuping. Clean install fixed that.
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                      A friend got a new dell inspiron about 3 months ago. Started to randomly blue screen, turns out it already had a bad stick of ram. Ram was kingston brand, too.
                      With hearing that I think I'm going to call dell technical support this weekend and have them check the hardware and if there isn't a problem with any of it I'll do a clean install. As of right now I don't think it would be reasonable to just go and do a clean install when the cause of the problem hasn't been identified.

Comment

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html <- Let that run for a few hours and it'll tell you whether your RAM is bad.

Comment

Here's the mail I got recently for my problem
                          Yeah, well.... This is a week old computer and I have been getting the system service exception constantly.... it is definitely related to Internet because that's when it happens... no idea what is causing it but it is continual. Hope Microsoft figures this out.... seems I'm not the only one... I am an IT manager so not an idiot when it comes to the computer.

Or otherwise try this: http://www.deskdecode.com/system-ser...on-0x0000003b/

Comment

DELL XPS 1645 PCB DARM5CMB8D1 UMA CONVEARSION .Pls any help

Comment

Working...
                            X