SCSI termination -D'OH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCSI termination -D'OH

Well, that problem I was having with SCSI adapters not detecting the drive was a classic
    newbie blunder on my part. I did not have a terminator on the cable, put one on and bingo
    the drive was detected.

Does it matter if the drive is between the card and the terminator? I see that there are these terminators that attach to the output SCSI connector (ie on the back of the case).

Re: SCSI termination -D'OH

1. Good SCSI drives should have terminator built in, enable or disable accordingly. And many older drives use resistor packs, (old times) easier to leave them unterminated and put them between the terminated SCSI bus.

2. Golden rule: always terminate the ENDS of the SCSI bus. Anything in between left unterminated. Even use a SCSI drive with terminator enabled at the one end. The controller card should have their terminator enabled or disabled and use the cable ends terminated. Flexible.

FYI: SCSI technology is a bus.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

lvd drives must be terminated on the backplane or cable.no on drive termination.
      Originally posted by Wizard View Post
      1. Good SCSI drives should have terminator built in, enable or disable accordingly. And many older drives use resistor packs, (old times) easier to leave them unterminated and put them between the terminated SCSI bus.

2. Golden rule: always terminate the ENDS of the SCSI bus. Anything in between left unterminated. Even use a SCSI drive with terminator enabled at the one end. The controller card should have their terminator enabled or disabled and use the cable ends terminated. Flexible.

FYI: SCSI technology is a bus.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

The only SCSI I've seen on recent hardware is LVD. Everything else is FC or SAS.

Comment

When it comes to SCSI terminators and drives, even one SE device or terminator on an LVD bus can cause all devices to operate in SE mode, most likely with lower performance.
          The only terminators I would recommend are active ones, and FPT terminators are recommended in high noise environments.
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
          X