Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the motherboard burn the PSU?

Dear technicians,
    I have got an old Asus ATX motherboard and an old ATX PSU.
    I used the PSU with other motherboards and it worked fine.
    then, I connected the PSU to the mentioned Asus motherboard. then the motherboard turned on but I smelled burning plastics from my PSU. and the PSU failed.
    After that, when I connect the PSU to other healthy motherboards, it does not work.
    I measured the ATX power pins on the mentioned Asus motherboard. no pin was shorted to ground. offcourse, there might be some short on other parts of the Asus motherboard. but not on the power pins.
    Now I have a question.
    How can an ATX motherboard without short on its power socket, burn the PSU?

Re: Did the motherboard burn the PSU?

it cant, it was just coincidence.

open the psu and look for somethingg burned.
    if your eye's cant find it, your nose usually can.

Comment

before I connect the PSU, I knew the Asus motherboard was faulty.
      but I did not know it will burn the PSU.
      How could I check the motherboard to discover it will burn the PSU?

Comment

a junk psu without proper working ovp, overload or short circuit protection can fry itself if whatever its connected to is shorted. u could have some other connected component, ram, gpu, cpu etc. that is shorted and that fried the psu by overloading it.

there is no easy way to check if a mobo will burn a psu. what u can only do is to NOT use a junk psu. a proper working branded psu will shut itself off to protect itself from overload.

Comment

that is right.
          my PSU was an old cheap one.

Comment

Had the same thought as stj; Coincidence ... My laptop stopped when my baby cousin touched it ... My PSU exploded when my cat hit the desk three weeks ago !! why it didn't explode immediately ? , i don't know ...or i don't know if my mother played her favorite game , but i think she's the guilty one ...Hundreds of thousands of weird unbelievable reasons , but , something will go faulty one day , for a reason or not ...

Comment

Working...
            X