Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compaq CQ60 Wont Charge( MultiMeter TEST)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq CQ60 Wont Charge( MultiMeter TEST)

Hi

i have a compaq cq60 in front of me that will not charge or run off the power pack. runs fine if battery is charged.

first thought was bad dc jack, but i thought i would test the power pack voltage, im getting 0.1v, im not sure if thats correct or if thats all it needs before the motherboard tells powerpack it needs more???

but i tested my acer laptop charger and im getting around 40v from that?

does anybody know if 0.1v is correct for this power pack?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Liam.25; 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM.

Re: Compaq CQ60 Wont Charge( MultiMeter TEST)

0.1V is not good.
    Laptop power supplies are in 11-22V range.
    Bend the cable when the meter is connected to the jack to see if the cable is interrupted and/or check inside PS.

Comment

tried bending the cable, voltage is still sthe same. its not even a steady 0.1v, its 0.1v for a second then 0v, if i remove the postive probe then reconnect its 0.1v for a second then 0v.

im just off to pick a new charger up, first thing i will do, is check voltage then report back with what the voltage should be.

Comment

Saw the second picture just now.
        Labeled 18.5V. That's what you should measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam.25 View Post
          but i tested my acer laptop charger and im getting around 40v from that?
          Acer is normally 19v, if the Acer ac adapter is running fine, then your multimeter is bad.

This Compaq ac adapter is 18.5v, you should get the values measuring with the red probe inside and the black probe outside the adapter connector.

Try to use another multimeter.

Comment

Make sure you're putting the probes on the right parts of the power connector. For this power supply, the ground is the outside surface of the barrel. Voltage should be measured between this and the inside surface of the barrel. The pin in the center of the connector sends a data signal, not power. So if you touch a probe to the center pin, you probably would receive a very low voltage reading.

And if you buy a new charger, be sure to get a genuine HP part. There are a lot of cheap generic chargers out there that are missing important safety features. There's a link on here to a page where someone disassembled an imitation Dell charger, and it wasn't pretty. Unfortunately, I can't find the link at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
              And if you buy a new charger, be sure to get a genuine HP part. There are a lot of cheap generic chargers out there that are missing important safety features. There's a link on here to a page where someone disassembled an imitation Dell charger, and it wasn't pretty. Unfortunately, I can't find the link at the moment.
              Probably this page. http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/acadapter.html
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

sadly i read these posts after purchasing a charger (unoriginal) :-(.

tested voltage - around 19 :-)

plugged in to laptop, charge light comes on. i thought it was christmas.

nothing happens when i press power button.

do i have a charger fault or another internal problem?

take into mind. i know nothing about the history of this laptop.

Comment

Does the notebook still works on battery?

Comment

well im assuming the battery is flat, because it doesnt power on with battery.

Comment

It may be a lot of things. First you should check the voltages, 3v, 5v, power button voltage, etc.
                      You can start with the coils.
                      It's gonna be very difficult to help you without at least those basic tests.

Comment

Working...
                      X