Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Lockup Blues

Hello,

I hate to say this, but I have been having random lockups the last few months. A few hours ago I switched from the OCZ Mod-X-Stream 600 to the Seasonic M-12 II Bronze 520W Evo Edition (probably less than 50 hours of use on it), and it locked up within an hour.

Any ideas? Should I try Linux for a while? Should I unplug the KVM at the next lockup and plug the keyboard/mouse into the motherboard directly? Here's the scoop:

Gigabyte 970A-UD3
    AMD Eight-Core 8150 processor
    16 GB Ram
    Gigabyte completely passive-cooled 6770 video (takes 2 PCI-E slots)
    (I put a 120mm fan on it)
    PCI wireless card
    Sound card (I'm using motherboard sound though)
    Unicomp keyboard (clicky, basically it's an IBM Model M)
    Microsoft Mouse
    IOGear MiniView PRO KVM switch (usb keyboard/mouse, DVI video)
    Mod X-Stream Pro 600 / Seasonic M-12 II Bronze Evo 520
    CONEXT AVR 900 UPS, good battery

There are lots of polies on the motherboard, none bulging/visible damage (yes I have seen polies that blew).

Any ideas what to try? If I have to "get a new computer", it will probably be used equipment, which may have worse problems than what I have now. And I'll have to buy another Win 7 license, no way I'm going to Windows 8/10. (Actually, Win XP is not a bad idea if I can get some used hardware that I can TRUST.)

(Gigabyte doesn't have much in the way of official support forums, but I'll try their unofficial forums soon.)

Any help is much appreciated.

Re: Random Lockup Blues

Booting and running a live Linux CD would help narrow down whether it's hardware or software related.
    Have you checked the event viewer ?
    Have you got another video card you can try ?
    Last edited by diif; 07-25-2015, 06:20 AM. Reason: video card

Comment

Just system lockup or do you get a BSOD? If the latter please ZIP your files in Windows\Minidump folder and attach them here so they can be analyzed.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Reseat the RAM and reseat the cards.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Hondaman View Post
          Hello,

I hate to say this, but I have been having random lockups the last few months. A few hours ago I switched from the OCZ Mod-X-Stream 600 to the Seasonic M-12 II Bronze 520W Evo Edition (probably less than 50 hours of use on it), and it locked up within an hour.

Any ideas? Should I try Linux for a while? Should I unplug the KVM at the next lockup and plug the keyboard/mouse into the motherboard directly? Here's the scoop:

Gigabyte 970A-UD3
          AMD Eight-Core 8150 processor
          16 GB Ram
          Gigabyte completely passive-cooled 6770 video (takes 2 PCI-E slots)
          (I put a 120mm fan on it)
          PCI wireless card
          Sound card (I'm using motherboard sound though)
          Unicomp keyboard (clicky, basically it's an IBM Model M)
          Microsoft Mouse
          IOGear MiniView PRO KVM switch (usb keyboard/mouse, DVI video)
          Mod X-Stream Pro 600 / Seasonic M-12 II Bronze Evo 520
          CONEXT AVR 900 UPS, good battery

There are lots of polies on the motherboard, none bulging/visible damage (yes I have seen polies that blew).

Any ideas what to try? If I have to "get a new computer", it will probably be used equipment, which may have worse problems than what I have now. And I'll have to buy another Win 7 license, no way I'm going to Windows 8/10. (Actually, Win XP is not a bad idea if I can get some used hardware that I can TRUST.)

(Gigabyte doesn't have much in the way of official support forums, but I'll try their unofficial forums soon.)

Any help is much appreciated.
          ugg, what is with you people and you Model M clones...
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

the Unicomp comes in black - looks real nice!
            not as nice as a Sun type-5 though.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              the Unicomp comes in black - looks real nice!
              not as nice as a Sun type-5 though.
              meh, i like the type 6 better. Now if only i could find a map for those extra keys.....
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

is the type-6 still real clicky keys?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  is the type-6 still real clicky keys?
                  no, but the tactile feedback is still pretty good!

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

^^Thread status: DERAILED
                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

temporary detour.

Comment

Sometimes it acts as if the power was lost whether I am using it or not, sometimes it locks up when the screen saver is running, sometimes it locks up when I am surfing the web. Pretty sad when your PC locks up and all you do is (a) Office tasks, and (b) web browing and e-mail, and (c) let it run idle. Well-ventilated, good PSUs, undemanding tasks and it still randomly locks up (or shuts off). If this were Win 3.1 or 98, I might be understanding. But this is Win 7 in the year 2015.

I have a suspicion this is OS-independent. Should I "hedge my bets" by getting another board?

Should I grab another 970-UD3 from Fleabay? Should I consider Gigabyte's 990 series? It might need another Win 7 license but CPU and RAM would almost certainly transfer right over. The 990 might be better in some way, but the 990 is "Ultra Durable" and "2X copper" just like my 970, so maybe it wouldn't be any more "Ultra Durable" than the current board.

Is the whole 970 a bad model? Are all "Ultra Durable" boards bad? Or do I have a single bad board out of a production run of good ones?

Any thoughts?
                        Last edited by Hondaman; 07-26-2015, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Boot from a Live Linux CD to rule out OS.
                          Run memtest and also the manufacturers hard drive diagnostic tool to rule out memory and hard drive.
                          Try another graphics card.

Sure you can throw money at it and buy new kit but far better to do some simple diagnostics first surely ?
                          Last edited by diif; 07-26-2015, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Since my last post, the machine locked up again. I'm working 50 hours a week for the rest of the year. I'm making decent money. I perceive the Windows 7 era as closing soon. And my time management has always been poor. (On May 4th of this year I parked my V-Star/Dragstar 650 until I could do some maintenance work. It only took a few hours but yesterday I finally got to do it. It feels good to ride again.)

It will be difficult, but I'll try to get at least some testing done. Maybe I'll leave Memtest running, or Mandriva 2010.2 running. (don't laugh. It works well - Mandriva "went off the rails" after that with the 'systemd' thing.)
                            Last edited by Hondaman; 07-26-2015, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Download either singularly or on Hiren's CD. Run each before you go to sleep if you are lacking time.

Comment

It might not be a bad idea to check the hard drive with its mfg. utility (ie: seatools) I have seen some problems like this before and have had a couple bad sectors, I suspect they could have been in the page file area, that would cause the random failure. Just a guess but its easy to check.

Comment

i would strip the board down to bare minimum, just the video card and one dimm.
                                  then run a linux live disk on it with nothing else connected - specially to the sata ports because they can hang a system.

if it runs o.k. then start adding stuff back slowly.
                                  is the latest bios installed?

Comment

Question did it lock up with OCZ Mod-X-Stream 600? Other question do you know how much power all of your system needs to run and have you consider in rush current when you system turns on certain devices?

Comment

[ontopic portition]
                                      Pretty much every single time I had a machine that freezes up randomly (without any hints of errors, etc.), the replacement part that "fixes" the computer is most likely... motherboard. PSU sometimes helps but if an o-scope looks clean, it's the MB.
                                      The CPU should also exhibit similar behavior but I think AMD and Intel did a good job making sure they don't deadlock to a hard freeze. Not so sure about motherboards or other CPUs.

[offtopic portition]
                                      I thought Unicomp is now the official IBM Model M patentkeeper and official source for new keyboards and spare parts?

I recently got an true blue 1986 Model M but it's missing a keycap. I might have to go buy one from Unicomp but not sure how I can tell them I want the "original" key (the printscreen key, which should have sysrq printed on the skirt and not the cap?)

Comment

^
                                        [on topic]
                                        Ive seen a bad northbridge do this kind of thing. The OP could try replacing it if he/she wanted to.
                                        [off topic]
                                        i have the original IBM branded Model M. Do the new ones have a super (Windows) key?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                                        X