Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: more win10 stuff

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    On modern 2TB drives I am getting around 160MB/sec sequential. On older 0.5TB HDDs I get anywhere from 70 to 90 MB/sec. However the seek rate of these mechanical HDDs dominate their speed and the bump in transfer rate is virtually meaningless for random accesses.

But it's great for copying videos and ISO images...
    My 0.5 TB Barracudas get close to 130 MB/s.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

thread derailed.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

First:
        Anyone who used a SCSI drive as main knows what a piece of shit IDE is...
        With SCSI the system is always responding, even under full load of the drive. Not that much with IDE...
        And there are some things IDE doesn't have but SCSI does. Some things got implemented in the S-ATA protocol but at a later time. NCQ for example...

And well, ATA comes from the AT Bus...
        Originally posted by diif View Post
        I'm only aware of the WD Velociraptor 10k rpm hard drive in SATA.
        The entire Raptor series from WD is 10k
        Even the old things I have here, WD740GD...
        And those things really used a S-ATA to IDE bridge chip...
        They were not natively S-ATA X-D

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        I will benchmark a modern drive and an old drive... both 7200RPM 3.5" SATA, when I get to work... Just to show that there are other differences besides RPM that determine drive performance.
        Yeah, Access Time for example. And I think that the access time may get worse over time...
        And IDE drives do not have NCQ witch helps a lot, I think...

On the topic of Windows 10, upgraded a family friend from 8.1 to 10 yesterday and he's very happy. Computer is an 4th-gen i3 with 8GB and 1TB hard drive. He also has a brand new Dell laptop with some i7 from the company he works for that's running 7 Pro. He even said that Windows 10 "opened stuff faster" on the desktop than on the laptop, and that "it looks nicer" so clearly unbiased people that don't care about computers beyond them being an effective tool for them to get work done like Windows 10.
        Yeah, I kinda like Windows 10 too. The UI is clearly better than 8, you can get used to it pretty quick. But you have to get used to it!
        It's kinda pointless to use Windows 7 or even newer ones with the old, classical Windows 95 start menu...

But there are also some things wrong with Windows 10 also...
        Somehow some things that worked under Windows 8 or even 7 don't under 10. That's kinda sad.
        That programms can't change the file association isn't a bad thing. It's more like a security thingy...

Originally posted by goontron View Post
        thread derailed.
        Better than everyone insulting each other

Comment

the o.s. should be a background task that exists to help you run your programs,
          people talk about windows as though it's the main event!

i could understand if people talked about office (MS or "open") or a browser/game this way.
          but the o.s. really shouldnt be front-stage like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
            I have plenty of slow IDE drives such as the ST340823A model which are 5400 RPM IDE drives. Seagate U Series with the rubber cover.

Check the spec sheet here if you don't believe me.
            Oh I do. However, the Seagate barracuda goes back 1992 as Seagate's first 7200RPM drive. They went ata in 1999... and before that, they had the medalist 7200 pro in 1997/1998 (by then IBM also had ide 7200 drives, although they were shit).

Yes, newer SATA drives are faster... but the RPM isn't much different.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Budget stuff might have been more prevalent over here back then... Don't think we had the multitude of cheap Asian computer parts retailers we do now. Most of the older IDE drives I ended up with are 5400RPM and pretty slow.

I did have a few Barracuda 7200.8(?) though, but almost all suddenly died at one point or another. A common problem it seems.
              Last edited by Agent24; 08-03-2015, 06:31 PM.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2...no-longer-have

you may want to skip the article and just read the comments.
                it looks like the fun is begining with incompatable FORCED drivers!

Comment

And you can't just disable that? If not, that's bad...wow

Comment

according to the comments, there is a disable option - and it's ignored!!!

so it makes me wonder how many other options are ignored - like the privacy opt-outs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      according to the comments, there is a disable option - and it's ignored!!!

so it makes me wonder how many other options are ignored - like the privacy opt-outs!!!
                      Perhaps they just put the button in before they put in the code to implement its function?
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post

Better than everyone insulting each other
                        its rolling right on down I-80....
                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Perhaps they just put the button in before they put in the code to implement its function?
                          lol
                          so they implement the "user choices" in win12?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            lol
                            so they implement the "user choices" in win12?
                            Depends if you vote for it in Win12 beta review...

Maybe there will be no Win12. Maybe it's just going to be Win10 rolling release forever - until people stop buying it anyway.
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Depends if you vote for it in Win12 beta review...

Maybe there will be no Win12. Maybe it's just going to be Win10 rolling release forever - until people stop buying it anyway.
                              People actually PAY for this?
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                People actually PAY for this?
                                yes, not in direct monetery form, but they do pay a heavy price for it!

Comment

y'all are way overblowing every little issue Win10 is having on a few specific configurations.

For example today I upgraded a computer with a Promise TX4-300 PCI SATA controller to Windows 10. The latest drivers I could find were for Vista. Same goes for the INTEL AMT SOL and INTEL AMT HECI crap. And it worked just fine. And the computer is much faster feeling going from 7 Pro to 10 Pro. It was a Dell Optiplex 755 with a 2.5GHz Core 2 Quad, 8GB of DDR2, and 256GB SSD. No hardware changes during the upgrade, and that's actually a pretty mediocre old computer.

The point I am trying to make it that of the millions of people using Win10 only the complainers will post about it. Just like that dowel pin thing on the Cummins 5.9 diesel and Chevy 5.3 gasser AFM issues and whatever else... both of those trucks have millions on the road with those engines with 100K+ miles but the <1000 people with the problems will bitch about it.

Comment

y'all are way overblowing every little issue Win10 is having on a few specific configurations.

For example today I upgraded a computer with a Promise TX4-300 PCI SATA controller to Windows 10. The latest drivers I could find were for Vista. Same goes for the INTEL AMT SOL and INTEL AMT HECI crap. And it worked just fine. And the computer is much faster feeling going from 7 Pro to 10 Pro. It was a Dell Optiplex 755 with a 2.5GHz Core 2 Quad, 8GB of DDR2, and 256GB SSD. No hardware changes during the upgrade, and that's actually a pretty mediocre old computer.

The point I am trying to make it that of the millions of people using Win10 only the complainers will post about it. Just like that dowel pin thing on the Cummins 5.9 diesel and Chevy 5.3 gasser AFM issues and whatever else... both of those trucks have millions on the road with those engines with 100K+ miles but the <1000 people with the problems will bitch about it.
                                    Actually i have seen two old Hams typing about this on the radio forums. Apparently it is not just custom builds having problems, its stock units like his Dimension E510 too.
                                    Plus my current WTF. Virtualbox has drivers for Win10, but the upgrade nagger says it is not compatible because of the video card.
                                    Last edited by goontron; 08-04-2015, 09:33 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

one of the fucked ms drivers being pushed is for an integrated realtek audio chip used on a lot of newer motherboards!

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                        Dimension E510
                                        Belongs in a fucking scrap heap.

Comment

Same here. Pre-C2D = straight to the metal recyclers.
                                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X