Need help with what to do.. guide me please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with what to do.. guide me please

check that the lvds cable is connected properly its the cable that goes from the main board to the panels tcon board

Comment

Lumberjack and R_J,

I am most happy today. I just had a look at the cables (before you both even posted) and you both are dead on. I missed the LVD cable

You guys/gals have helped me out tremendously. After all said and done, total cost was 13 bucks ($8 for Desolder gun (didn't really need this though) and $5 dollars for resistors and capacitors for a total of 13 bucks

I am more then thankful for your patience in all this!! However, before I close this thread may I please ask one last question?

The paranoia in me tells me that since the soldering job I did (I have no skills in this at all as stated) sucks with the left over steel wire from the capacitor and resistor prongs (I didn't know how to get close enough to cut the wire properly) is there the slightest chance from what I did, that my monitor could "blow up" or cause a fire due to this/changes I made(as well as with the repair parts I bought)?

For the record, I don't believe it could but I am just throwing it out there just in case I decide to leave it on all night.

For all others who are reading this... if I can do this job successfully to get a non working monitor functional again, with no skills in electronics, then anyone can. Please save yourself some money and try first before you throw it away or bring it to a repair shop!!

Comment

Well, the leads should always be trimmed with wire cutters. You could probably use a pair of good scissors even. But if it hasn't "sparked and smoked" yet; it probably won't. That would have happened instantly when you plugged it in. You could always go back and trim those leads down to the solder when you get a chance. Good job on the repair, and thanks for the feedback

P.S. I would definitely trim those leads though. Just to be sure the repair lasts.
        Last edited by Lumberjack777; 10-15-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks Lumberjack,

Damn I didn't know I could use scissors

Well, when I say I left some, I mean like a very small amount and I pushed them to the side with pliers. So they are facing outward, away from the solder.

Man I guess to be safe I will need to open this monitor up again. (obviously to which I don't want to do).

Thanks again!!

Comment

Well. Some guys might disagree with me. But if they are short. And they are not touching anything. And they haven't
            You could probably just leave it alone. The *bang* would have happened instantly. No worries!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Ok, now I like the sound of that .

I have had it up for over an hour now with no bang so maybe I am all good. (fingers crossed).

Thanks again Lumberjack!!

Comment

Nail clippers will work to trim the leads, take a picture of your work if you are worried and we can inspect it.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                  Nail clippers will work to trim the leads, take a picture of your work if you are worried and we can inspect it.
                  Nail clippers. That's a good idea.

I'm thinking since it was his first repair. There's always the possibly of damaging the repair with another disassembly. LCD damage, panel, pull a trace. Crack a solder joint by clipping it.

Since nothing is shorting; it might be wise, in this instance, to just leave it alone. He did very well to repair his first time. Just my humble opinion.

Looks like we were right. It was those 3 resistors. Thanks for all your help R_J

Comment

Sorry to let everyone know but a week later and I am back to sqaure 1. The monitor does not turn on, no blue power light and no picture (as was posted originally). I am suspecting that the resistors and capacitors may have been fine and there is something else wrong with it however, why would it turn on after changing those parts. I did not hear any bang so I don't think anything is fried.

If anyone else has any other ideas I should try (1 last attempt) before I scrap it. It's just unfortunate cause it looked like the capacitors and resistors did the trick however..

Thanks again everyone and sorry to be a pain and reopen this.

Comment

i would check/re solder all the joints on the new parts you put in it first it could very easily be a bad soldered joint.

Comment

Can you post some photos of your soldering work - in better lighting than the first ones.

Check the main fuses again. Are they still OK?
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Thx again every.

Let me open it up, take the power board off again grrr, take some pics of the soldering job (again please don't laugh as I have never done this before but feel I put enough solder to hold everything) and I will check my fuses.

However, to be honest I feel something else could potentially be causing the resistors or capacitors to go bad, shorting them) however what do I know.

Let me get that stuff out to you and hopefully you can come up with something.

Thanks again...

Comment

It could be something causing that, which is why good photos are helpful. Sometimes others spot something that was missed.

Don't worry, we won't laugh. We've seen some pretty bad jobs here, and you'd have to do a pretty darn bad job to beat those. Of course, even if you have, it doesn't matter - we would advise you on how to go about learning to do it properly.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Well darn it anyways. If it lasted a week it means you did change the proper parts. Otherwise it would not have worked at all. I'd suspect some sort of soldering problem (as mentioned). Also, one of the capacitors may have been put in the wrong way. Or, the components were not trimmed properly. (as mentioned).
                              Did you ever get that Digital Multimeter? Because you can test some parts, instead of replacing them.

Comment

Ok thanks again everyone.

So i disassembled the monitor and have attached some pictures. Hopefully they are clear enough to make something of it.

I do not have a multimeter yet, but I could get one if need be. I just figured with the cost of the parts, I would go ahead and change them.

I did not change the fuses nor did I change the remaining capacitors that people say potentially could cause issues (cm862 & cm 863).

As for the fuses, do they have to be ceramic? I couldn't find ceramic ones at the electronic parts store but did find the clear, glass ones (for 1 dollar).

Thanks again.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Yup, that definitely looks like a soldering problem. When done properly, you have this shiny little mound, that forms a metallurgical bond.

I suggest you watch this video and try again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

I'm not sure if one of those resistors is fried or not. You could probably start with new resistors, since they are so cheap. It looks like some of the solder may be bridging and actually touching another solder joint.

Just solder like the guy shows in the video, and you'll have 6 shiny joints. Then make sure to trim the leads this time. Good luck.

Comment

Yes, you should try to clean up those solder joints to start with. I also see what might be a lifted pad, but the images are too dark to tell for sure.

Another good video is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYz5nIHH0iY
                                    And the first one where he discusses equipment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ

If you don't have a multimeter you should get one. Aside from testing the fuses, you will need it for voltage measurements and further troubleshooting if cleaning up the soldering doesn't help.

You can use glass fuses, but ceramic ones are better for safety. If glass ones blow hard they can sometimes explode.
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                      Yes, you should try to clean up those solder joints to start with. I also see what might be a lifted pad, but the images are too dark to tell for sure.

You can use glass fuses, but ceramic ones are better for safety. If glass ones blow hard they can sometimes explode.
                                      And to state the obvious: remove all of the brown glue on the entire board. In the background on one of your photos I can see another component covered by it. It's a tough job, but very necessary.
                                      If this glue isn't the cause of the problem with your 245 right now, it will be in the future. Usually the glue causes components to fail, which leads to collateral damage in other components.

re-atari

Comment

Thanks again everyone for the info and the links.

Agent 24 you may are right about the lifted pad (if I think I understand what that means). I tried to hold it down with extra solder but don't think it did a good job.

What I will do is remove all solder, clean it up a bit and post some picture of the board all cleaned up and then maybe you can clearly see the lift and advise.

Re-atari, any ideas on how to remove this clean (or the easiest way)?

Lumberjack, yes some solder, although minute, is touching another point but it was like that for a week before it broke. Like I say I will clean it up and post some photos and take it from there.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Yup, there definitely might be a lifted pad. As mentioned above check the polarity of the caps. If you have replacements for the caps you didn't change last time, do it now. They probably aren't the problem, but they might be, and they are, most likely, going to give you problems in the future so you might aswell change them now and same yourself some time and headache later.
                                          Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

Working...
                                          X