Samsung 920NW 2 Seconds to Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 920NW 2 Seconds to Black

Picked up a few monitors from an office clear out all with different faults so I have decided to play with this one first.

It seems to suffer from the same symptoms as the majority of similar Samsung models.

When starting it you can see the bios check screen the as windows would normally start to load the monitor auto adjust screen comes on a couple of times but windows does not appear. I also tried to F8 into safe mode which did show me the black and white option screen then it went off. when the screen goes off the options button do not display anything but the power light remains blue.

Here are the pictures for people to see what I am talking about. I am going go through retiredcaps step by step guide and post the results as I go.

I have managed to get my proper camera back so hopefully these pics will be butter than my last poor effort.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jasgriff; 03-11-2012, 06:33 AM.
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Re: Samsung 920NW 2 Seconds to Black

Checked the fuses they are fine :

F801 - 0.4 Ohms
    F802 - 0.4 Ohms

Also found the service manual :

http://monitor.espec.ws//files/samsung___920nw_136.pdf

I tested the voltages on Pin 1 and Pin 2 which should both be 5V they are both reading 5.2v steady which is fine.

I placed a resistor between Pin 1 (5v) and Pin 4 (On) the backlight came on for 2 seconds that went off again. I unplugged the power and plugged it back in leaving the resistor in place and it still didn't come back on. When I unplugged the power and the removed one leg of the resistor then replaced it there was a very short flash of the backlight as if it was just using the stored power from the power supply. When I plugged the monitor back in again with the resistor in place it again came on for 2 seconds and then went off.

Comment

CCFL's have been tested.

I connected each of the CCFL's into another Power supply and tested them one by one and they all light up and stay on for more than the 2 seconds.

I also tried all 4 CCFL's from another monitor on the Samsung Power supply and they light up only for a split second each time after being turned on.

Comment

Tried swapping out 2 of the capacitors on the off chance that it might have been those.

Samxon 1000uf 10v GK(M) Z1A Replaced with 1000uf FR 13VCS
        Su'scon 1000uf 25v SG 0807(M) Replaced with 1000uf FR 144TG

These replacements are a lot smaller I hope that these are ok. These new capacitors didn't have any effect.
        Attached Files

Comment

I circled what I think are the secondary inverter transformer pins. Measure the resistance between the 2 red pins. Do the same for yellow. Report both readings. They should be within 3% of each other.

PS. The pictures are very good. It helps us help you.
          Attached Files
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Both readings were taken with my meter set to 2000 OHM's.

Red was 592
            Yellow was 595

Just tested the diodes as follows. (These readings are with my DMM set to Diode)

Top Side
            D804 = 561
            D802 = 549
            D806 = 618

Bottom Side
            D501 = 611
            D505 = 611
            D513 = 604
            D503 = 602
            D504 = 606

ZD803 = 729

There is a bit of a burn mark around R804 could this have failed?

Comment

How are the 4 very small blue ballast caps for the lamps, should Ohm them out also.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Will do...

DMM set to 2000 Ohm Scale
                C523 = 608
                C506 = 613

DMM set to 20m Ohms scale
                C509 = 6.21
                C528 = 6.94

Does that sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
                  Both readings were taken with my meter set to 2000 OHM's.

Red was 592
                  Yellow was 595
                  Your inverter transformers are likely good.

There is a bit of a burn mark around R804 could this have failed?
                  If you have multiple 920NW's crack another open and check R804 for the color band and compare with this one.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

List the legend for CN801 and measure the DC voltage on each pin.

2 seconds to black can also be bad caps. If the caps are bad, one result may be unstable or low DC voltages going to the inverter section.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

CN801 is as follows

These reading were taken with a resistor from pin 1 to pin 4. with no logic board connected.

1 VCC5v = 5.2V
                      2 VCC5v = 5.2V
                      3 GND = GND
                      4 ON/OFF = 5.2V
                      5 Brightness = 0v
                      6 GND
                      7 Volume = Not Used
                      8 Audio Mute = Not Used

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
                        CN801 is as follows

These reading were taken with a resistor from pin 1 to pin 4. with no logic board connected.

1 VCC5v = 5.2V
                        2 VCC5v = 5.2V
                        3 GND = GND
                        4 ON/OFF = 5.2V
                        5 Brightness = 0v
                        6 GND
                        7 Volume = Not Used
                        8 Audio Mute = Not Used
                        It would be a good idea to verify voltages on the 16 pin inverter controller IC501?
                        You will need to see if you can find a data sheet.
                        Verify power and grounds and that back light on signal is OK.
                        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

These tests were done with a resistor across 5v and On/Off.

I can see from the service manual that Pin 10 of IC501 is the ON/OFF pin.

I used the negative pin of my DMM on Pin 14 which it says is ground (is that the correct pin?). With my positive probe on Pin 10 and I get 4.2v. Should that be enough to turn on the inverters?

I also tested the following....

Pin 14 - Pin 2 = 5.2v
                          Pin 14 - Pin 1 = 0v
                          Pin 14 - Pin 15 = 0v

U501

Pin 1 - Pin 2 = 0v
                          Pin 1 - Pin 4 = 0v

Pin 4 - Pin 5,6,7,8 all read 14.2v on U501 and U502

Should U501 and U502 have an on signal going to Pin 4 and Pin 4?

If there is nothing on the Dim Pin would this cause the screen to remain off?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Are you getting steady 14vdc for feeding the Inverter circuits? Attach a 12v lamp (car lamp #1157) to it and see if it can handle the lamp. Do not hit the power switch when testing with the lamp since the power supply will be running when the monitor is plugged in, it runs 24/7 even when the monitor is off, unless the monitor has the real toggle/Rocker power switch that actually cuts off the power to the board
                            Never stop learning

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                              Are you getting steady 14vdc for feeding the Inverter circuits? Attach a 12v lamp (car lamp #1157) to it and see if it can handle the lamp. Do not hit the power switch when testing with the lamp since the power supply will be running when the monitor is plugged in, it runs 24/7 even when the monitor is off, unless the monitor has the real toggle/Rocker power switch that actually cuts off the power to the board
                              I will have to pop out and buy a bulb tomorrow I will make sure that I get the 6v one at the same time.

IC501 is a OZ9938GN Pin 10 (ENA) is 4.2v that should be enough to turn on Pin 1 and Pin 5?

Comment

Found the Inverter controller diagram.

I will work through the pins and feedback what im getting on each pin.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                  Got the bulb today and solder a couple of wires on. Could you please show me a couple of points on the board to solder this bulb to so that I can give it a try?

Comment

Ordered the remaining capacitors. Hope they will arrive tomorrow so that I can eliminate them.

Comment

Connected the bulb up and switched on the power. The bulb lights up then gets brighter as the inverter kicks in and powers up the back lights.

Whats very strange is that with the buld connected the backlight stays on for longer than 2 seconds?

I am guessing that I wired the bulb up wrong for this to happen?

Does this mean that the 14v line is definitely good if it can power the inverter and the bulb?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

But the backligts did go off later, right? You are doing this with the active PC connected to the monitor?
                                        The bulb also lights up with steady brightness without a lot fluctuation and the voltage is steady at 14v or so?
                                        Never stop learning

Comment

Working...
                                        X