Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sceptre X20-WC screen goes black

Hello, all!

I've an older LCD monitor that's being bad - I hope you can help me to figure out where I should look next towards fixing it (if I can!).

The situation:
    -The screen works fine for 3-15 seconds after powering it on and then it goes black. The status light on the front remains blue (it's normal "all-is-good state") so I assume the issue is backlight related.
    -Taking the screen apart, there were three bulging caps on the power board which I replaced, to no avail. If nobody has any better ideas, my next step is to replace the remaining caps in that area (there are 8 total).
    -There is a slight hissing sound when the backlight starts up. It lasts for just a couple of seconds and peters off (sounds a lot like a hard disk powering down, except much quieter). Very occasionally, the hissing will increase in volume and the screen will flicker at the same time. However, the screen goes black after hissing has ceased. If I had to guess, the hissing is coming from the power supply board.
    -When the screen is not black, there is a slight shimmer.

For pictures of the board, see this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11757

For what it's worth, I took the same voltage measurements as the OP of that thread and got the same values.

Thoughts? Let me know if you think pictures or anything would help...

Re: Sceptre X20-WC screen goes black

Hissing may well be caused by bad Backlight wiring, and your symptoms would support that.

Comment

OK, so I have the two CCFL lamp housings off of the 1/2" block of plastic that (I assume) diffuses the light. The next step, presumably would be to unbury my power supply and test the six bulbs. . .

There is some fairly significant discoloration (see picture) on part of the plastic and the lamps that were near it. I am hoping someone can tell me if this is normal or not - is it likely that the power board would shut off all the lamps if one fails? Since the screen goes completely black after a few seconds of power, it doesn't just dim.
      Attached Files

Comment

That is faulty.Also if one lamp fails the monitor does shut down.

Comment

Working...
        X