Pioneer plasma PDP-6020FD won't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer plasma PDP-6020FD won't turn on

I've got a 60" Pioneer plasma PDP-6020FD that won't turn on. It clicks like it is trying to power up, but then stops and shows a sequence of two blinking red lights. It doesn't get to the point of displaying a picture or sound. Some preliminary research led me to believe it was a power supply, so I bought a new one in hopes that simply changing that would fix the problem and avoid having to lug it to a repair shop. Unfortunately, the "new" power supply didn't make any difference. However, I had doubts about the power supply because it wasn't packaged very well. The tops of the capacitors were rubbing on the bottom of the other half of the power supply board (it is two pieces on this model). I don't know if that would create a functional or just cosmetic issue, but something to consider.

Since my initial attempt wasn't successful, I set upon trying to find a repair shop. The only shop in my town that would look at it wasn't familiar with Pioneer plasma displays so it took him some time to diagnose. I was not happy with the communication and level of service, which led me to doubt his diagnosis. He said it needed a Y main and upper/lower buffers. I did not proceed with the repair because of my doubts so now the TV is back at home. There is a repair shop with a good reputation and who is familiar with this model, but he is an hour away and this TV is a beast to move, so I'm hoping to do a bit more diagnosis myself if possible.

I found some other ideas after doing more research on this forum. First, I unplugged the Y main harness, which yielded the same sounds and now a sequence of four blinking red lights. Next I plugged the Y main back in and unplugged the X main, which made no difference to the original symptoms (same sounds and two blinking red lights). It didn't power up enough to be able to try to find an audio signal.

Are there any voltage checks I can do to further diagnose this issue? I have a digital multimeter and intermediate electrical skills so I am confident to attempt a bit more in depth diagnosis. Thanks in advance!

Re: Pioneer plasma PDP-6020FD won't turn on

From your diagnosis so far it seems like Y-main is the issue (Y-drive on Pioneer sets.) The buffer boards on these sets are non-serviceable being bonded to the plasma panel (they are very rare failures anyway), so I have no idea what the original tech was talking about there.

Can you get some photos of the internals?

BTW: Nice Kuro... I am jealous... I keep looking for a 60" upgrade to my 50", but they're just too damn reliable, can't find any broken ones. (Aside from a smashed set or two.)
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks so much! I was hoping you'd chime in. It was your thread that led me down the path of the unplugging/replugging tests I did last night. I can get more pictures but it will be tonight. I do have some pics, but only of the buffers. I thought I was missing something because I couldn't find any parts online for them. Now I know why. The Y drive is easy to find and a couple of places have them in the $60 range.

Are there any particular pictures you would like to see? I will also get some pictures of the damage on the top of the capacitors on the power supply to see your opinion on whether that is an issue. I also still have the original power supply.

Are there any other checks I should do tonight?

Comment

Pictures of the overall layout and then one clear one of every major board will do. You can take a photo of the damage if you want (I doubt it is a problem to be honest.)

As for checks, you could try checking Vs and Vd (could also be marked Va/Vda) outputs from your PSU. These will require a multimeter. You can locate the connectors going to each of the X- and Y-drive boards and check there.

For a 9G 60" panel, approx Vs will be 212V +/- 15V and Vd will be 75V +/- 2V.

These need to be tested with power connected so be careful, high voltage, danger.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Here's the pictures that I took last night. Most are self explanatory. The one labeled "power_damage" is a picture of the tops of the capacitors that I mentioned as having some damage from shipping.

The one labeled "power_test points" is where I tried to find those labels you mentioned. I couldn't find them. The two cables on the top are the ones that go to the Y and X drives. The only ones I found were the circles on the board labeled, VSUS, GND, VADR, V+12V, and V+17V (that one is at the very bottom of the pic). Should I be looking somewhere else?

The only cables that I could see that look like they have any business carrying 75 or 200 volts are the big ones connecting the two halves of the power supply board. You can see those clearly in the "power_damage" picture. Maybe the ones you said to measure don't carry much current, but regardless, I couldn't find them.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            From your diagnosis so far it seems like Y-main is the issue (Y-drive on Pioneer sets.) The buffer boards on these sets are non-serviceable being bonded to the plasma panel (they are very rare failures anyway), so I have no idea what the original tech was talking about there.

BTW: Nice Kuro... I am jealous... I keep looking for a 60" upgrade to my 50", but they're just too damn reliable, can't find any broken ones. (Aside from a smashed set or two.)
            When and if you upgrade Tom are you going to sell your 50" ?
            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post

When and if you upgrade Tom are you going to sell your 50" ?
              Just wandering becuase Im after the 5090 but dont want to travel over 300m to pick one up, hopefully one will come up soon.
              Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Nah, 60" wouldn't fit on the wall, and it requires a custom Pioneer bracket to mount it. So I will keep the 50" for a long while yet, unless I get hold of a VT60/ZT60 Panasonic...

Comment

Ohh right, I want to get the 50" to put in the living room looking at some on ebay but too far to travel to them

Comment

Tom, I really appreciate your help so far. Do you think I should proceed with replacing the Y drive or are there any other checks I should do?

Comment

Ok, there's a smaller connector on the top left of the power supply. One goes to Y-drive, other goes to X-drive. That has Vs, and I believe Vd on it. Can you see any pins marked Vs or Vsus? Check them for voltage both with Y-drive connected and disconnected. You only need to disconnect the large power connector.

Comment

Cmo2ws6. If you find out what part you need send me a pm. I have a cracked screen of the same model it's been sitting around already broken down. Only thing I have sold on it so far was the main board. The most expensive part of the tv.

Comment

There is a VSUS on there. I tested that last night and the new attachment here shows where I touched the multimeter, on those circles that I pointed to in the picture. I figured those are test points.

I plugged in the TV and tried to turn it on. The TV did the sequence I described earlier (it stopped trying to power on and started showing two red blinks). THEN I touched the multimeter to test it. The value was low, below 20V, and falling consistently. Could the falling value be because the TV is not powered on and the capacitors are discharging? Should I have the multimeter in contact as soon as the power button is pressed, to see what it does during the couple of seconds it takes while it is trying to power on and before it does the two red blinks?
                          Attached Files

Comment

That indeed are the caps discharging , try to measure immediately!
                            I only repair Panasonic plasma tv's! Currently owning a TX-P55VT50 and still searching for a ZT60!

Comment

You should have the meter in contact with the point then power on the set. May require a helper.

Comment

I measured the voltages last night on the VSUS. With the Y drive plugged in, I saw ~20V for a second or so immediately after hitting the main power button and before the TV stopped powering up. The voltage then dropped consistently as the capacitors discharged. With the Y drive unplugged, it reached 208V before powering down. I did this a couple of times.

Comment

That more or less confirms the Y-drive is at fault.

Comment

Great, thanks, I will proceed with replacing the Y drive. I really appreciate your help!

Comment

Actually maybe hold that thought just now. I did not realise the Vadr is chained from Y/X drive in this set. Can you check Vadr too?

Vadr should would be bad panel and should produce an 8 red code on EU models, not sure how it would behave on the US models, worth eliminating it first.

Comment

Just checked VADR. It is 75V both with and without the Y drive plugged in.

Comment

Working...
                                        X