Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster S23A550H no video on VGA

Ciao David.
    My wife is happy with her 19". She doesn't want to change.
    I had some nice monitors, but she didn't want none of them.
    I have used a VGA cable with the 27".

Comment

I say Guy not Girl.. ..thanks for the second answer..

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
        Ciao David.
        My wife is happy with her 19". She doesn't want to change.
        I had some nice monitors, but she didn't want none of them.
        I have used a VGA cable with the 27".
        I don't know any women who would be happy with a 19" one if you catch my drift

And yes, all you need to reflash the firmware (besides the software provided by Samsung) is a vga cable. The ID pins in the cable are used as a I2C bus, so no JTAG-cable or other fancy stuff required.
        Tonight I saw an advert for a defective Samsung 22A300, with exactly the same symptoms. I have already mailed the seller instructions how to fix his monitor, in case he'd rather want to keep it.

re-atari
        Last edited by re-atari; 05-23-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

After installing drivers firmware update utility started the update. It restarted about 20 times going from 0-10% and then would not progress, i assume the computer restarted and now monitor does not power on and firmware utility no longer sees the monitor although windows does. Any suggestions?

Comment

had the same problem. I installed the software and tried to update the firmware. It wnet from 0 to 10% and would loop for about an hour before I tried to use the hdmi. It wouldn't even power on after that. Does anyone have any suggestions other than a replacement board? Many thanks.

Comment

Also going to be attempting this on TWO of these faulty monitors tonight from work. Really sucks for a small business that's exclusively working on Mac's that can't run these firmware EXE's. Gotta take them home where all my Windows machines are.

Does anybody have a firm answer on the most recent version of Windows is that's confirmed to work with the flashing process? Tried it on my Windows 10 machine the other night and kept getting the message that no monitors needed an update at this time, with it plugged in to VGA off my mobo (had to disable my GPU) and with it plugged into the HDMI off my GPU and mobo (neither of those worked either).

So now my goal is to dig up an older machine (maybe a Win7 rig with a native VGA on it I guess...) I'll report back with findings--this still seems to be an issue for many people today. :/

Comment

Huzzah! After multiple attempts, I finally found the right secret sauce on this one. For any of you still suffering through a life of using these monitors, here's how I got them to bring back the image:

I started by hooking up one computer to a functional monitor and got Google Chrome Remote Desktop set up on it. I had to do this because I didn't have ANY Windows computers laying around that had both a VGA and another port so that I could dual screen (for purposes of monitoring the upgrade process via the working monitor). SO instead, I set up CRD and got logged in to the first computer (running Windows 7, not sure if that was necessary, but it was an older OS so that may have helped, I don't know). Before I disconnected the working monitor from computer 1, I disabled User Account Control (UAC) so that I wouldn't get stuck as remote desktop software doesn't let you click through a UAC popup (which comes up on the Samsung Firmware Updater software).

Once I had UAC disabled and I was logged in to computer 1 using CRD on computer 2, I then connected computer 1 to the first non-working Syncmaster monitor using the VGA. Once that was tightly in there and the "Check Signal Cable" was just bouncing around on it, I went to computer 2 and pulled up computer 1's desktop via CRD. I right clicked the desktop and went in to Adjust Screen Resolution and then clicked "Detect" to make sure that it recognized the non-working monitor as the one that was currently plugged in). I suspect if you skip that step, you may run into the "All monitors are up to date" error.

SO then I ran Samsung's automated firmware updating software, which is pretty easy to find on Samsung's website (just search for the 30MB+ EXE file under Syncmaster on their site or Google your model number and "Firmware"). After about 2 minutes of updating (a green bar gives you progress update), it will shut off the previously non-working monitor, and you can simply press the power button (Red LED comes back on) and VOILA, working monitor.

I then repeated the same process for the second monitor (again, just making sure to "Detect" in the screen resolution settings to make sure it updated as it didn't do it automatically either time). Boom. 2 monitors back up and running and several hundred dollars saved for my company.

Now, that's probably a lot more work than is absolutely necessary, as many people likely still have laptops with VGA ports (which would be ideal, I suspect) or graphic's cards with VGA ports and an additional working port for the second monitor, but I did not have any of that stuff, so I was rather thankful to be able to figure out another way to make this process work (after working on it a couple different times before with no success).

I hope this in some way helps somebody else. Of course, none of it was hardware related, so I understand if it's relevant to this particular forum, but I figure it's always best to try to figure things out from a software/firmware side first instead of starting a teardown on the hardware right off the bat.

good luck!

Comment

now you just need to find out what spyware just got installed, because there is no way it takes 30meg to flash a couple of megs at most over a serial bus.

Comment

Working...
                  X