Blinking power light fix for DVP642 DVD Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blinking power light fix for DVP642 DVD Player

The case size is the difference, especially the diameter. As long as space dosn?t mather, use the one with the biggest diameter.

Comment

Thanks for the info, gonzo. I found few 1000uF 10v caps in a nonworking computer power supply, my player works fine again.

Comment

Well, thanks for all your comments in the thread. I did see about the crappy cordless solder pens and won't ever use them on electronics.

Its been over 1 year since the repair on my player, and its still going strong. Whether or not the cap i put in will hold up for years to come..only time will tell, but I still love the DVP642.

Comment

I have a feeling that whether you like the DVP642 depends on whether you were successful at fixing this problem. I was successful, so I still like the player. But c'mon, Philips.

Anyway, here's a little info to help others. I went to Fry's electronics here in L.A. (Woodland Hills to be exact) and purchased an ECG 25 watt soldering iron for $5.99, an NTE "High Temperature" Electrolytic Capacitor (1000MFD, 16V) for $1.90, and some Kester Electronic Silver Solder for $1.99. Total cost was $10.70 with tax. I've never soldered before (or even held an iron before purchasing this one) and it was pretty simple if you follow the pics and instructions on Mike F's blog above.

If for some reason his blog isn't working here's a simplified version:

1. Take the cover off your player.
          2. Find the C316 capacitor... it's on the same PCB that the main power cord comes in on. Mine was bulging slightly upward, but didn't have a leak or anything.
          3. Unscrew the PCB, turn it over and locate the bottom pins of C316.
          4. Apply the soldering iron to the solder surrounding pins until the solder is melted. I held the capacitor at the same time as Mike's instructions said, but it got really hot. So instead I worked on getting the solder melted and occasionally tugged at the capacitor. After about 5 minutes, it came free pretty easy.
          5. Put in the new capacitor... the shorter pin (-) goes into the shaded hole side of the PCB. Once in, I used a toenail clipper to shorten the ends of the capacitor pins to about a half a centimeter. If you don't have toenail clippers, get a pedicure immediately because you are neglecting your toes . I was able to seat the capacitor all the way down to the board. Then I heated the surrounding solder, and added some from the solder I purchased. That was the easiest and most fun part... it just ran down the soldering pen right to where I wanted it. Heed the warning not to let the separate solder trails on the PCB touch... from my experience you'd have to intentionally goof up to have that happen, but who knows.
          6. Lastly, reconnect everything and watch DVDs with the smug feeling that you are some sort of electronics expert thanks to Philips trying to save a couple bucks.

Comment

I have just taken a look at my DVP642 and C316 can be replaced bya fairly common 1000uF 6.3Volt Low ESR capacitor as used on computer motherboards. The operating voltage on the cap is 5 volts. I have placed a 6.3V cap in my DVP.
            Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
            Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
            160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
            Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
            160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
            Samsung 18x DVD writer
            Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
            33 way card reader
            Windows XP Pro SP3
            Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
            17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
            HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Doh! read bottom of first page, thought it was last...so disregard already been answered

The cap I pulled out of my board was 1000uF 10v. I found a site that sells it with low ESR http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merch...CTGY/Capacitors
              there are 2 different models EEU-FC1A102 and EEU-FC1A102L, does anyone know what the difference is? The only difference I see is that one is .10 cents more.

humm think you got panasonic FC series the "L" is a smaller Diameter can, I think

Panasonic FC series PDF

Think the specs change a bit because of this but sometimes you have no choice but to use a smaller diameter can

HTH cheers
              Last edited by starfury1; 08-26-2007, 06:46 AM.
              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

What exactly is the 'blinking light failure'?

I have two of these units (DVP-642), one about 3-4 years old and one under a year old, but both seem to work fine.

I do have an older DVD player that didn't last too long at all. Brand/Model is Blaupunkt DVD-ME1 (same as Shinco DVD-168). This player will play the first disc you put in on power up but will not play the second unless unplugged for 24 hours.

Could this be a similar problem?

(i'll see if i can find the caps on the bad-cap list)

Comment

There are only 6 caps on the power board that have vents.

3 brands i have never heard of and can't find on the 'Bad' list are;

chang
                  FOAI
                  NL

None appear to be bulged in any way but the power problem is similar to a bad PSU i had once. The PC would run fine until shutdown but wouldn't restart unless i unplugged it for a while.

I have most of what i need already (the caps with vents) but i'm guessing that all will need to be replaced.

Maybe i'll take a pre-cap pic.

Comment

Simple little board:

The parts list for the vented caps is:

1 x 220uf, 16v 8mm
                    1 x 470uf, 10v 8mm - (i dont' have one of these, and can't replace it)
                    2 x 1000uf, 6.3v, 8mm
                    2 x 1000uf, 10v, 8mm (there are oversized, 10mm caps on the board for some reason)

Let's see what happens.

Comment

After the update:

470uf, 10v replaced with Rubycon MBZ 470uf, 16v
                      1000uf, 6.3v replaced with UCC KY 1000uf, 6.3v
                      1000uf, 10v replaced with Rubyconn MCZ 1000uf, 10v

This is all i had to work with.

Fingers are crossed.

Comment

No change.

Popping in a disc leads to a near endless wait only to be disappointed by the message "No Disc".

I guess the problem was something else.

Comment

Originally posted by jaykayd
                          NTE "High Temperature" Electrolytic Capacitor (1000MFD, 16V) for $1.90
                          Hit it on the nail right there. According to repairfaqs.org, it more important to have higher temperature tolerance than higher voltage rating. Too high a voltage and the ESR specs start to be too different that what the board expects.

The original badcap on there is 1000uF 10V 105°C, a suitable replacement must be at least 105 degrees as well and not too much above 25V or so. 50V is probably overkill, plus will be difficult to fit, as C135 is stuck between other caps. I got a 25V/105°C radial which is 10mmD x 14mmH and had no trouble fitting it in at all.

Comment

Originally posted by gastorgrab
                            No change.
                            Popping in a disc leads to a near endless wait only to be disappointed by the message "No Disc".
                            I guess the problem was something else.
                            Sorry the cap replacement didn't work ...

You should mention that those pics aren't of a DVP642 power supply board, I was confused for a while until I reread your original posts about the Blaupunkt. This may mislead others into thinking you were repairing the Philips.

Comment

Hi,

I just opened my DVP642 DVD player and sure enough C316 (Su'scon 220uF 16v) was leaking yellow-ish brown goo. I also notice the big black capacitor (?) C304 had similar yellow-ish brown goo around it. The markings on this unit is:
                              TBOR
                              105 degrees celius
                              250v/68uF

I'm not an electrician or that knowledgeable about electronics but have solder before. Is it safe to replace both of these capacitors?? If I can't find these parts, any suggestions on equivalent replacement parts?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes if these caps have bulged or leaked replace them. Usually there is a 1000uF capacitor, replace that also.

Replace with the same value and temperature rating . The 220 and 1000 must be low ESR types.

There are plenty of good brands of capacitors recommended in this forum.

Places to get them are here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613
                                Last edited by davmax; 01-11-2008, 12:07 AM.
                                Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                33 way card reader
                                Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

hello, people:

ESR is not the issue. anyone who says it is, doesnt know what they're talking about, and is just parroting the same misinformation. we're talking about a power supply circuit, not a high speed microcontroller.

the problem is, Phillips put 10V Capacitors on a 12V Power Supply. so of course its going to eventually fail, due it to being overvoltaged. the longer you leave the device on at a time, the sooner it will fail.

all you have to do is put a similar capacitance of at least 16V in its place. I put a 35V cap. if you replaced it with another 10V cap, it will eventually fail again, in about the same amount of time that it took it to fail the first time.

the question is, why is Phillips installing 10V caps in a power supply that calls for 16V? incompetence? negligence? what?

Comment

Originally posted by jephthah
                                    hello, people:

ESR is not the issue. anyone who says it is, doesnt know what they're talking about, and is just parroting the same misinformation. we're talking about a power supply circuit, not a high speed microcontroller.

the problem is, Phillips put 10V Capacitors on a 12V Power Supply. so of course its going to eventually fail, due it to being overvoltaged. the longer you leave the device on at a time, the sooner it will fail.

all you have to do is put a similar capacitance of at least 16V in its place. I put a 35V cap. if you replaced it with another 10V cap, it will eventually fail again, in about the same amount of time that it took it to fail the first time.

the question is, why is Phillips installing 10V caps in a power supply that calls for 16V? incompetence? negligence? what?
                                    My DV642 must be very different to yours. The only 10V cap in mine was on a 5V supply I replaced it with a 6.3V cap. All other caps are either 16V or 35V. My operates without any problems. Are you sure you have got it right?

Overvolting usually causes rapid failure.

I guess all you had was a 35V. A little over the top but OK.
                                    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                    Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                    33 way card reader
                                    Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

The DVP642 has a switch mode power supply (up to 100Khz) run by a KA5M02659 that has a high voltage (650V) MOSFET internal to the package. This being the case the output caps should be low ESR.
                                      Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                      Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                      33 way card reader
                                      Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

if you found a 10v cap on a 12v line its likely due to an error loading the insertion machine.
                                        i have seen this before.
                                        as stated by dav the secondary caps MUST be high quality low esr types to last any time at all.
                                        thank the beancounters for this failure.

Comment

The DVP642 has a switch mode power supply (up to 100Khz) run by a KA5M02659 that has a high voltage (650V) MOSFET internal to the package. This being the case the output caps should be low ESR.
                                          not true at all.
                                          are you aware of the number of smps' in different devices that have normal grade of lytics(non low esr) that lasted in excess of 10 or 20 years?
                                          infact it wouldn't be an exaggeration to state that the only place where low esr caps are a must are pc mobos and simillar devices that operate on rather low voltages so everything counts.

you can put low esr caps there, but you'll still be dumping it to garbage much sooner than good gp lytics can last, because it's cheap mechanics will fail. like gastor's case proves(caps are not the only and exclusive malfunction cause on electronic devices, you know).

so i fully support what jephthah has said.
                                          it's a problem of poor component quality or inadequate ratings of the component.

i've swapped the general purpose lytic in my vcr(leaking and making all sorts of trouble for vcr's operation) with general purpose cap and everything is working as it should. and this was some time ago.
                                          Last edited by i4004; 03-09-2008, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X