Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic Celeron overclock or new CPU... whatcha think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Celeron overclock or new CPU... whatcha think?

It appears that after researching the different alternatives to getting an additional speed boost out of my new rig, I have once again acquired the overclocking bug. I'm therefore considering attempting a BSEL pad mod on my E3400 celery since essentially that is the only way I can overclock my rig since the OEM BIOS is nerf'd. If successful the CPU should be running around 3.4ghz (266x13, up from 2.6ghz) with a FSB of 1066. I'm thinking this should bring the performance of the CPU up to the equivalent of a mid range E7000 series or low end E8000 Core 2 Duo simply due to raw frequency increase.

I hear these CPU's are capable of hitting 4ghz on air... think such a moderate overclock would be doable using the stock cooler and Vid?

The other option would be to purchase a used CPU... but they are not exactly cheap... and pretty much anything less than a E6850 C2D would be a downgrade according to the benchmarks I have seen.

Thoughts?

Re: Epic Celeron overclock or new CPU... whatcha think?

Get a better board (P35 chipset preferably) that actually supports OCing and has all the necessary settings :P
    Much better investment than swapping CPUs (expensive for fast ones) and then still not being able to OC.

Comment

Working...
    X