X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hey folks!
    My name is Andrew and I'm from Virginia. Mostly I've done small bits of tinkering and I am very novice. I've worked as a construction worker for years, done some wiring and very little with electronics short of putting together computers. When it came to the circuits, I would just buy a whole new one instead of troubleshooting what was wrong with mine. Lately I've begun soldering and testing and whatnot, coming to this forum quite often to read other people's experiences and get some insight. I decided it was time to go from ghost to member. Hope to keep learning.

Comment

Hey all,

Josh here from Kentucky (Whats up Jeff!) and I am a total tech junkie. I am an IT admin who is returning to college for a Computer/Electrical Engineering degree. I guess you could say I'm a glutton for punishment. I grew up in a house with a master electrician for residential and commercial applications so it kind of runs in the family. I am usually "that friend" that everyone brings me their broken stuff to fix or harvest parts from. I hope that someday soon I can be an asset to this community but for not, I am here to soak up all the information I can.

@Jeff- I may need your help on an issue, what part of ky are you in?

Comment

Hello,

I am a Biomedical Engineer from Switzerland. I have studied Electronics in the Late 70s and then went to New England to Study Biomedical Engineering.
        Ever since then I am involved in designing electronic devices - mostly for research - but also in repairing everything that falls into my hands. This is a great place for information and people here really know a lot.
        Thanks to All of you for the valuable information, hope to bring you back some of mine...
        McTrombone

Comment

Hi All

My name is Alan, I like tinkering around and fixing things for friends and family wherever possible, Be it computers or mobiles, however I don't have much experience with SMT components but can follow instructions, I will help others wherever I can.

Cheers

Comment

Hello all members,

I'm Marc from Amsterdam, The Netherlands and just new to this forum.

Today I did read an interesting discussion on bad caps & fakes.
            Seeing some photo's, I didn't believe my eyes! Should I cry or laugh?

Although I'm not into computer repair, I'm buying a lot of caps to
            recap and repair musical gears (synth's mainly).

I hope to read more interesting information about caps.

A part of my story is visualized at:
            http://marcmarc.home.xs4all.nl/ele/index.html

Regards,

Marc Marc

Comment

Hi all.
              I am Radoje from Bosnia and Hercegovina.
              37 Years,maried,two children
              I deal with pc repair as a hobby.
              Otherwise I'm an electrician.

Comment

I'm John Smith from Melbourne FL USA. I've been an Electrical Engineer since 1972, and lived in this town since 1976. My first PC was an Apple ][e. The first part of my professional life I mainly worked on DEC PDP-11 based products, and the 2nd part I worked on Sun Microsystems based products. In my semi-retirement, I'm taking care of systems and networks for a medical practice, which is what brought me here when a Google search on a power supply led to some pictures on this forum (which I had to register to see)...

Comment

hi im ash... simple , teachable & likewise willing to teach what i know..

hope im welcome here

Comment

Hello to everyone!

Comment

Do not remember if I posted when I signed up a while back ?
                      John here , I am mainly joining because of my interests in repair and that is mostly related to ham radio , my call sign is KD0CAC .
                      Thanks for being here with all this info .

Comment

Ello folks I'm Earl from Republic of Indonesia
                        Micron Scrap

Buying Electronics scrap since 2005

Comment

Long time reader first time poster. Electronics is just a hobby for me.
                          Thats why i have one room of the house dedicated to me. Not enough
                          room for all my stuff and i got to sneak new gadgets past my wife lol.
                          Anyways, just happy to be a member here and learn all i can.

Comment

IaOrana Ia Oe! Hello from the Sacred Island of Polynesia. The island that was once called Havaiki Nui, and is the island where the most sacred spiritual site of Polynesia still exists today. The place is Taputapuatea, and it is located on the South East Corner of Raiatea. We are the island where the Hawaiians and Maoris of New Zealand originated.

Me and my family live on the North Coast of the island and just off the west end of our airport. Flights are not too bad, and one gets used to them after over 35 years of their coming and going.

Nuff about my home and my country, I will tell you about my qualifications and what I have had as experience. I joined the US Navy way back in 1954 and retired out as a Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer in 1974. I served on several ships in my younger years up until the time I made Cheif and then it was ashore to work on them all. My experience included the USS Fechteler DDR 870, the USS Helena CA 75, the USS Saint Paul CA 73, the USS George Clymer APA 27, US NavComSta, Japan, NAS Cecil Field Ground Electronics. USS San Joaquin County LST 1122 (on which I was initiated as a Chief Petty officer and transferred to MOTU 7 in Yokosuka Japan. This was the start of a set of tours as a Military Tech Rep. We were the highest echelon of people who could not only fix everything the Navy had but we could also teach and train the shipboard technicians in maintainance and repair of their equipment and the ships systems. I spent the better part of 5 years running in and out of Viet Nam and its waters repairing and training the crews in maintainance of their comm, radar, gunfire control, missle fire control, sonar and ECM along with the "new" digital age that had come very quickly among us and of which we knew very little about. I have been interested all my life in the magic and wonder that electronics impressed we with as a child, and my interest only grew by leaps and bounds when I could indulge myself fully in a passion and still get paid and honored for the fact that I wanted to learn even more.

After serving in Asia working out of the MOTU Units in the Philippines, and the two in Japan, I was transferred back to the United States to serve out my twilight cruise in Pearl Harbor's MOTU 1. I had decided to retire and was quite sure that I would not have too much of a problem finding a Tech Rep position with the Defense Contractors whom I had worked with for over 12 years. The Navy came out with a new Program called the CETA Program and chose 24 of us to be CETAS (Civilian Electronics Technicians Afloat) meaning that we would go back to sea as Ships Company on a US Navy man of war as a member of the Ships Crew... I took off my Chief's Hat, became a civilian, and it was right backi to the Navy as a Sperry-Univac Field Engineer as a CETA and my first ship was the USS Berkeley DDG 15 and then when she went into the yards for Overhaul and Upgrades, I was transferred to the USS Lynde McCormick DDG8 where I made 2 West Pac Tours and was placed on the USS Tarawa LHA 1. All of the ships I served on won the Communications C, Operations O and the Battle Effeciency E, during the times I served aboard them, I know that it takes a lot more than one man to win these and I had those men who worked to see the asperations of this Civilian serving on the Navy's Greyhound Navy and its Amphibious Branch the Tarawa, The crews deserved the credit, they did the work and learned and gained experience and managed to become the finest in their squadrons and divisions. I laid out the ideas, and kept them interested and learning and we did exactly what we were supposed to do. Win!
                            I had married during this time and knew that my "Sailors" life was rapidly coming to an end. My wife is a Tahitian and being away for months or years wasn't going to cut it, especially living in French Polynesia.

Here I sit, I have done everything from referigeration air conditioning to Computers, Electrical Power Generation and the Diesels that were the prime movers. I am now over 3/4 of a century in age and if I had it to do over I wouldn't change too much of the way it went down.. I worked hard, played harder, and managed to have a job all my life that has left me totally satisfied and enthralled of the advances I have either witnessed or been a part of.

Now that I am here I plan on lurkin' listenin' readin and continuing with the learning. The only things I work on now are friends and familys toys.. TVs Stereos Computers, I am not into the big tools any longer, but still will trouble shoot a tv or something the body is not what it used to be, the mind is still very capable....

The Name is Ken, also Maheanuu is my given Tahitian Name, but you all can call me by the one I really Love........ Yep boyz and gurlz..... You can call me Chief, I earned that one all on my own.......

Comment

Hello all to this wonderful place . I am graeme and have been an electrician for 30+ years and have a hobby of electronics. this world is a throw away world and like to repair things instead of replacing it so if i can i will repair it just for the challange. I love my spare time playing with electronics making things or making test rigs to test various modules or parts of things. Hiope i can help as many people as i get help. but i have found this place so will do a but of reading 1st. Thanking you net for me to find it

Comment

Hi, just a little palaver to break the ice here. Actually I am iced in here near Boston, where I have to work for a few months. I normally reside in Miami and I miss the sun a lot. I have worked on so many kinds of things over the years I can't even remember, but I am currently working on an LCD monitor changing the CCFLs, and I ran into a little problem restacking the plastic sheets in the panel. So if anyone wants to put me onto the right forum to post that would be nice. Thanks https://www.badcaps.net/forum/images/smilies/compy.gif PS how do I change the viewing order of posts?

Comment

Hi to all. I'm Italian, I apologize in advance for writing errors.

I started with the PC in 1990, in the Office there was a 8086 XT Disitaco, a 12 MHz with TURBO button inserted, 8087 coprocessor and 10 MHz, 1 MB RAM.
                                  In 1992 I bought my first PC AT: a 80386 33 MHz, AMD in 1996 changed the M.B. with an AMD 80486 DX2 66 MHz, idem in 1998 with a CYRIX MII 300, and in 1999 with a Celeron 400 MHz S370.
                                  After a few years I changed the CPU with a 433 MHz, and finally with a 500 MHz. This PC AT Celeron 500, used again until 2010 to see the TV.
                                  The first PC ATX that assemblai was an Intel Pentium!!! 800 MHz, then another PC Intel S478 ATX Pentium 4 2000 MHz, and finally an ATX PC Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz. But I also have many other PC AT ATX, which here are in short some AT: AMD 40 MHz 80386 + 80387 Coprocessor 33 MHz Intel, CYRIX 486DLC 40 MHz + 40 MHz IIT Coprocessor, AMD DX4 100 MHz, AMD x 86 133 MHz, Intel Pentium, Pentium MMX, K6 and K6-2 and even AT AMD K6-III 450 MHz on M.B. QDI Titanium IB + (Intel TX chipset).
                                  For the ATX I: AMD Athlon, Athlon XP, Sempron 754, Intel's Celeron and Pentium II, and Pentium Celeron Slot1!!! Coppermine s. 370, Celeron and Pentium!!!S Tualatin, Intel Pentium 4 s. 478 and LGA775 Pentium 4 HT.
                                  For some years now as a hobby I make repairs, especially ATX power supplies (more than 50), some replacement capacitors MB, an LCD monitor.
                                  A greeting and thank you all.

Comment

Hello guys.
                                    By Google I found this is good place for me to learn useful ABC about passive caps.
                                    I start a shop to repare PC boards for customer in my town.this site is instructing me how to use reliable brands and caps to do my job.thx to all

Comment

Hello, hoping to get help with a x32 Septre ,seems to be the power supply. If I take it to repair its 150.00 min. The tv only cost 200.00.

Comment

Hello. Don from Sioux Falls, SD. I have been in the repair of consumer electronics for over 20 years now. Work on mostly audio and installation of law enforcement equipment into vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                          As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                          So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                          where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                                          oldtiredtech Hi all Started in tv shop in 1960 caps were made from tin foil & wax back then. Just retired and started playing with flat screens tvs after being laid off from large comm. music provider doing satellite audio,CCTV, soundmasking and anything else they could sell for big bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                          X