The "Indestructible iMac" v2.0 - Poly revision 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "Indestructible iMac" v2.0 - Poly revision 2

Yeah i got a 17 inch i ordered the regular kit from here long ago and its still running, but i never touched the psu, i have a spare psu with bloated caps i should recap it.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
      i have a spare psu with bloated caps i should recap it.
      If it is a a spare, I would. It's easy and IMHO a good idea.

After you recap it, I'd pop it in the iMac and recap the PSU that came out... that way you have two "good" PSUs, not two "time bomb" PSUs.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
        ...i ordered the regular kit from here long ago and its still running...
        Now thats what I like to see!!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I finally got around to ordering the last of the polies I needed to recap mine (a 17 inch iSight G5 iMac) so I was re-skimming these iMac threads, and re-Googling. I have two questions:

1) Has anyone actually measured the voltages on any of these caps? Looks like most, if not all the 6.3v caps should be running at well under 2V. I have a butt-load of 2.5V 1500uf polies, but I'm not sure I want to chance it. There's no way to measure the voltages without taking the whole damn thing apart, soldering wires, putting the whole damn thing back together, measuring, taking the whole damn thing apart again, recapping, then putting the whole damn thing together again . . . MASSIVE PITA!

2) I see quite a few of the logic boards on sale on ebay as-is, that have either all Panasonic caps, or a mix if Panies and Rubies. Has anyone actually seen Apple use Panies in any of these, or are these all unsuccessful recaps?
          If so, I wonder if the boards have other issues, or if the surplus FL/FJ caps just don't have low enough ESR to make an Apple happy. I'm assuming they're FL or FJ, all I can see is the vents.

Comment

The caps in the low side of the VRM see CPU Vcore - this is well under 2v on all CPUs made in the last 15 years or so. And most of today's CPUs are powered from the 12v rail, so the high side caps are easy to spot, they're 16v. All 6.3v caps in the CPU area can be safely replaced with 2.5v ones - in fact, if you look on a motherboard that has polies from the get go, you'll find 2.5v caps.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
            X