Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Neutral you say? A story of carnage at Gooontrons house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Neutral you say? A story of carnage at Gooontrons house.

To preface, this is 100% my fault. I installed the plug in the dead of winter, and i didn't manage to torque anything to spec... (off site images warning)

This is what happens when the cord that powers all 50 amps of a mobile home gets pulled out of the plug assembly.

This really is a shit design. The live(s) should disconnect before the return, but US plug standards so...

Yep. You lose neutral first! It started with Neutral getting pulled, then next came the red phase. As you can see, white has been warm for some time....

Heres the extent of the damage, the controller of an evap cooler. Some blown fuses otherwise.

Real lucky on this one!

Here's the MOV since the one on the surge suppressor did jack for shit!

I think i might make jewelry out of it.... It already has a hole punched in it!

Here's the surge suppressor that was running the AV system. (all 120-240v systems)

It did its job. And without starting a fire!

Not much damage to speak of.

No load disconnect?

This one was on countertop duty what for the microwave and whatnot.

Load disconnect. Good! A little soot. Not teabag!

Hmm. On the older side for sure.... Did its job! I ripped the trace.... Oops.

This bastard did its damndest to burn the place down! This is what ran my bench.

Nice soot. No disconnect here either!

Jesus fuck! I don't think the thermal fuses are real here....

Nope! That's why it blew sparks that lit my bowl of cotton buds on fire.

Now for the protectors that did jack shit for all. Belkin. This is what the evap was plugged into!

Belkin. A white and a black one. Both the same (lack of) failure mode!

Nope. Not the boards fault!

Sadly, the black one was powering my Radios, both Ham and broadcast. The ham radios switch modes swallowed it and burped, while the Yamaha receiver was saved by a line noise filter i installed that included surge protection. It clamped and blew the fuse. I pulled the module and bypassed it, but after testing, it would seem to still work, surge and all, so i reinstalled it. My furnace i thought had blown the trafo. But i found a note scribbled in pencil on the sheet metal about an edison screw fuse service center in the air-space above the furnace. The 15 amp fuse had blown. I replaced it and all was good.

Now for the "surge suppressor" that ran my 13/5 Centimeter packet and part 15 data wireless "rack"

*cough* i'm an idiot *cough* This had a shit-ton of switch mode "Wall Warts" plugged in. They all are rated 110-240v. No damage here! I got lucky. This won't do jack shit for surges! Make sure your surge suppressors, are surge suppressors! Sadly, this is dead as well as i had to break the case to open it.

If i can find the fuses (and i'm asked) i will post those as well.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: Open Neutral you say? A story of carnage at Gooontrons house.

I have a surge protector that just has a single MOV with a fuse in series... it is a surge protector, alas there's no way to tell if it's still surge protecting or not...

I have this other surge protector that has an LED that indicates whether it's surge protecting or not. Turns out it's just hooked up to power and has no bearing of the status of the surge protection. The MOV actually looks like it's still good...

Comment

These surge protector are real shit I feel real safe

So what surge protector are left that really works
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Geez goon, that really sucks. Luckily I gave up my trailer and the truck 8 years ago. But I miss my nights hamming inside that shoe box parked on a hill very close to the ocean calling CQ. Good luck getting all that repaired!

Comment

plug should have had a good cable-grip.
          also it should have been locking.

like this:

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post

they are for spikes, not a continuous voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              plug should have had a good cable-grip.
              also it should have been locking.

like this:
              [img]
              Now, you see, that's one i would trust. Instead we have https://www.amazon.com/30-50A-BLK-Ra.../dp/B00GRTSRSK

Looks sturdy, eh?

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              Geez goon, that really sucks. Luckily I gave up my trailer and the truck 8 years ago. But I miss my nights hamming inside that shoe box parked on a hill very close to the ocean calling CQ. Good luck getting all that repaired!
              Think we got some terms wrong here, don't worry, we confuse the canadians who come down here to Wy during hunting season as well

Mobile/Manufactured homes are called trailers here, and pull behind trailers are called campers....
              Last edited by goontron; 07-25-2017, 09:31 AM.
              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                Now, you see, that's one i would trust. Instead we have https://www.amazon.com/30-50A-BLK-Ra.../dp/B00GRTSRSK
                Mehhhh. The picture stj posted was an IEC-309 connector, basically for industrial use rather than home use. This would be the closest US equivalent AC plug:

FWIW, Hubbell, who makes the connector pictured above also makes and sells IEC-309 connectors. IEC-309 connectors are reasonably available in the US. If you've been in a McDonald's in the past 5 or 20 years you've probably seen IEC-309 connectors in their kitchen area, like these:

The real advantage IEC-309 connectors have over regular Twist-Lok connectors is that they are, in varying degrees depending on the type, moisture-proof. But they still have to be hand-wired, like a Twist-Lok or the appliance type you pictured.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

yes, the minimum is splashproof, the highest are potentially submersible!
                  and they all lock.

they cost nothing like that robbery you posted at Amazion btw!

oh yes, in Europe we use them on campers and caravans as standard - because they are rain-proof.
                  Last edited by stj; 07-25-2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

and they all lock....
                    The pic you posted above is in the higher end of degrees of watertightness. That ribbed ring screws onto the mating connector, and that gray ring is a nice rubber gasket. At the other end of the white shell (where the cable enters the shell) is another rubber gasket.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

and they all lock.

they cost nothing like that robbery you posted at Amazion btw!

oh yes, in Europe we use them on campers and caravans as standard - because they are rain-proof.
                      Im not sure what that seller is smoking, but i got the one i have from an Osram retailer here in Wy for $17.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                        Mehhhh. The picture stj posted was an IEC-309 connector, basically for industrial use rather than home use.
                        Depends on where you live and what you need...
                        Here in Germany we rarely use anything else than that.

There is the Perilex system wich looks like Schuko for 3 Phases but nobody uses them anymore. And if you have a 3 phase device, you need to change the plug anyways (they all come with the IEC these days)...
                        OF course those Perilex things look better in a living enviroment...

And you can still get both if you want to...

Besides: How do you americans connect your electric stove/cooctops??
                        Here we use 3x230VAC, 16A (because against Neutral, not each other)...
                        Last edited by Stefan Payne; 07-25-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

^ the plug on amazon i posted... The only difference from using that on a stove and a mobile home is that its uprated to 60 amps for mobile home mains feed use... Stovetop use is 50 amps....

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                            in the u.k. we just have a single-phase 240v 45A wall outlet!
                            real power, none of that low voltage multi-phase crap!

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post

Tripp-lite Isobars are pretty good, but pricy (from $25 for the basic 2-outlet unit to well over $100 for the large rack-mount units, with the popular 6-8 outlet units running from $50-$80). Most UPS units should offer decent protection as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                                Besides: How do you americans connect your electric stove/cooctops??
                                Similar as our driers: a beefed up plug, providing two phases, a neutral, and more recently a ground. Most US driers and ovens/cooktops are rated for 240 or 208V. Typically residential homes get two 120V phases 180 degrees apart (so phase-phase voltage is 240) from a center-tapped transformer (center tap is tied to neutral). But in commercial areas or buildings with 3-phase power, the voltage is 208V between any two phases, so that is used instead. That's why most US ovens and cooktops will say on the back they are rated for 208/240V.

As for the plug itself, it varies depending on the vintage of the home. But this page will show you some examples:
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_c...r#Nomenclature
                                Last edited by momaka; 08-04-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

they are for spikes, not a continuous voltage.
                                  Shouldn't matter. After enough spikes, most MOVs will go short-circuit, so they definitely need some type of a breaker/disconnect/fuse circuit - preferably one that will disconnect the whole surge protector too and not just the MOVs, because otherwise, it will no longer be a surge suppressor.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    Shouldn't matter. After enough spikes, most MOVs will go short-circuit, so they definitely need some type of a breaker/disconnect/fuse circuit - preferably one that will disconnect the whole surge protector too and not just the MOVs, because otherwise, it will no longer be a surge suppressor.
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXecTM8yuo

Comment

I like our system here open neutral = low voltage

If earth bonding is bad electric shock hazard as the taps outside will become live with respect to ground.

We used to have 2 phase into houses one was continuous and the other was controlled for load shedding would run night store or hot water heater.
                                      now we use one phase with a remote control. or use a smart meter.

in larger dwellings so 2 or more 2 or 3 phase will be found open neutral could expose the equipment in the dwelling to 415V but requires your neighbors to have lot's of power hungry devices. more of a issues for 2 phase supplies i think as floating neutral will balance better with 3 phase.
                                      My pc
                                      CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                                      MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                                      RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                                      PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                                      GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Well, just an update. The control transformer on the furnace puked. It got roasted by the looks of it... Im surprised it lasted more than a year.

As for 240v appliances, still none. Nat. gas is cheap. The cost of electricity went UP when we switched over to the wind turbine farm to the west of me. $0.04/KWh maintenance fee, yay....

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                                        X