Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trippling internet speed with pare of AA batteries, ethernet cable and electric tape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trippling internet speed with pare of AA batteries, ethernet cable and electric t

Originally posted by Captain Bill grace digger View Post
    Will changing the router channel to the one that is not as frequently used by people in my locality help in increasing my internet speed with inSSIDer software to detect which channel is not as frequently used.
    Possibly, it depends how congested your area is. Ideally it should be set to either channel, 1, 6 or 11.

Comment

Re: Trippling internet speed with pare of AA batteries, ethernet cable and electric t

Also will eSpeed Accelerator from Predator studios which is a registry edit file help in increasing my bandwidth to a minimum of 30%.

It is like you never even bothered to read my suggestions.

Now into

mode for the rest of this thread.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.
        Are you saying I need to post pitchers of my modem and router.
        Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 06-30-2016, 04:02 AM.

Comment

If your ISP doesn't give you the bits of information fast enough, it doesn't matter what you use inside your house.
          You could have the fastest best connection inside your home, but from the moment it goes in the ISP box (cable modem, DSL router etc) it's out of your hands.

Cat5e is more than the required quality level for 1 gbps speeds, using Cat6 or Cat6a cables won't give you lower pings or faster speeds, you'd still be limited by the INTERFACE (the network jack) the ISP offers you on the router/modem/whatever and then by the traffic shaping or limits they have installed inside that box or at the ISP level.

There's four pairs inside the network cable (for 1gbps, just 2 for 100mbps) , and you're dealing with AC voltages on each pair, batteries won't do shit for the signal going through those wires. Reducing resistance also doesn't do shit, all those types of videos are just to troll people or they claim ridiculous things for increased number of video views, which in turn makes the video owner money.

The resistance thing is bogus for other reasons as well. Normally, network cables are made out of strands of copper with a standardized resistance per meter. Network cards and equipment like switches and routers and modems are designed from the start to send signal through those 2-4 pairs of wires with such strength to achieve the standard 105 meters maximum length in the standard.

Because this 105 meters distance is very rarely reached and most people use network cables in offices or locations where distance between devices doesn't go over 20-30 meters, some clever guy thought of using aluminum strands plated with copper, because aluminum is cheaper... so the percentage of copper in network cable is much smaller, cable is cheaper, but the resistance of the cable is higher than the one in the standard. These cables are called CCA , Copper Cladded Aluminum.. and they work great for small distances.

However, recently other "clever guys" that make network equipment figured the same thing and said hey, let's "invent" power saving features, a green mode for the network card, where the card will gradually lower the transmission power as long as no transmission errors are detected, to save power and to add another marketing point on the network card's chip feature list.

In time, the quality of the network chips has improved quite a lot, the algorithms to detect signal, amplify and decode signal have improved a lot, so even with reduced power transmission at the other end, the chip receiving the data is smart enough and powerful enough to receive the data and auto correct whatever bits are hard to read due to low power transmission, so modern chips can work well even at distances as high as 105 meters with proper network cable.

However, when you have two chips talking to each other at low power (green mode active on both) and you also add a CCA cable that has added resistance, everything gets screwy at long distances (let's say if you use cables over 20-30 meters long). Disabling the power saving features from the network card's driver setting solves the problem.

So just use quality Cat5e network cable (doesn't have to be Cat6 or Cat6a, you only need these if you think you'll use 10gbps router/switch at some point in the future)

Another thing that's worth keeping in mind is congestion.. let's say the ISP gives internet through a 100 mbps network cable but let's say you're in an apartment building with 20 apartments. Well, those 20+ apartment cables go into a network switch somewhere in the building and that switch probably has only 1gbps port at the output - those 20 apartments share a 1gbps link to the ISP, so if all people would use their internet connection, each person would only get a maximum of 50 mbps because the output to the ISP literally can not do more than 1gbps in total.
          Luckily, having 20 people use their internet connections to the max happens extremely rarely, almost never.
          BUT, those fiber cables going from each apartment buildings are also going somewhere... for example you may have 6-8 apartment buildings each with a 1gbps fiber cable and these go somewhere to a sort of switch that converts those to a single 2.5gbps+ connection or maybe several 1gbps fiber pairs in a larger fiber cable...

Basically the idea is that between you and the ISP there can be multiple choke points, where there's potential in some situations to appear limitations unrelated to how good your home connection is.
          mariushm is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

Thank You for this nice explanation.

Comment

i stuck a bunch of 18650 cells on my Ethernet cable.
            now the packets arrive before i request them.
            anyway modern modems get configured for speed by the headend.
            there are hacks around to "uncork" them.

Comment

I can't believe this is making a comeback! It was around a few years ago. Back then, I want to say they used AC from the wall and you'd plug it into the USB port on your cable modem. Something like that. I wonder how many people actually did it. I had a few customers calling me asking if it'd really work back then.

Also, Stj, are you sure about ISPs using coax? Don't they use fiber now? I know Corning Inc, here in my city, they have a fiber backbone to one of their offices down in Kentucky. And DCSI, they had a fiber backbone to the local cable / telephone company. DCSI wasn't that big of a company. Deposit and Corning aren't that big, so if companies here have fiber, I'd think ISPs would definitely be using fiber. Last I heard, coax could only do 300Mbps. Is that something different though? Just curious.
              -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

I want to know if I can increase my internet speed by attaching a pair of rechargeable AA batteries and also Sata and IDE cables which are optional to a CAT 5 or a CAT 6 Ethernet cable with electrical tape.
                I saw that video on Youtube as well .. its complete bullshit!

The ONLY way you can increase speed from your ISP and still keep your service running on a single public IP address, is to:

1) Pay more money for faster service
                2) If they have maxed your capacity, then you'll need an ISP that will channel bond multiple services (ie you buy TWO internet connections from them) into a single PVC.

Option 2 requires some pretty complex routing, some networking skills on your part ... and a very flexible ISP. A combination that I think is fair to say the majority of people don't have available to them.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
                  I saw that video on Youtube as well .. its complete bullshit!

The ONLY way you can increase speed from your ISP and still keep your service running on a single public IP address, is to:

1) Pay more money for faster service
                  2) If they have maxed your capacity, then you'll need an ISP that will channel bond multiple services (ie you buy TWO internet connections from them) into a single PVC.

Option 2 requires some pretty complex routing, some networking skills on your part ... and a very flexible ISP. A combination that I think is fair to say the majority of people don't have available to them.
                  This post of yours reminds me of a recent news article. Point 1 might be invalid! Here, in my state, it seems a lot of ISPs are charging more money for faster speeds but cannot provide what they promise! For example, when I called Spectrum to try and get our "package" changed a bit, they said we had 50 Mbps internet speed. I said it was 30 Mbps. They said it's 50 Mbps. Shortly after, I see in the local news paper how Spectrum's being sued for not being able to provide the speeds they advertise. It's a class action lawsuit.

From the article, it seems this is common in some areas. Companies offer newer, faster speeds, but don't actually upgrade their hardware and cannot provide the speeds they claim they can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                    From the article, it seems this is common in some areas. Companies offer newer, faster speeds, but don't actually upgrade their hardware and cannot provide the speeds they claim they can provide.
                    Not sure what area you're in, but I can assure you ... your situation with Spectrum is not something that can and should be accepted as the default for all ISPs.

If they are in fact not providing the speeds they say they are, then surely a court will find them liable for some form of false advertising. And someone at Spectrum is probably playing games by saying things like internet speeds are completely non-linear and also highly dependent on the server you are accessing over the Internet, which is 100% true. However, they should be able to point their customers to a Spectrum managed server which will provide accurate speed results to the client using a TCP/IP method of streaming packets under controlled conditions so that they can prove that the client does in fact have that bandwidth available at their home or place of business. If the legal action has gone "class action" status, then someone has already done their homework and determined that they had a valid case or that would not be happening.

My point in all of what I was saying is that simply taping some batteries to your ethernet cable and expecting packets to flow faster over the Internet is quite literally as absurd as saying that if you take two feathers and tape them to the handles of your car door, your car will now fly like an airplane ... thats about how ridiculous the assertion is concerning taping batteries to an ethernet cable, and if not for the fact that I understand how much people don't understand the technology, I would be mortally horrified to see such a video on youtube presented as fact as it is ... but people will believe anything they don't understand if its designed to sound convincing enough and the viewer is completely ignorant on the issue.

Mike

Comment

but people will believe anything they don't understand if its designed to sound convincing enough and the viewer is completely ignorant on the issue.
                      Developing "street smarts" is not something everyone can do. I know at least one family/friends that will almost certainly fall for the latest sales pitch and spend more money than necessary to get the job done.
                      --- begin sig file ---

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                        Developing "street smarts" is not something everyone can do. I know at least one family/friends that will almost certainly fall for the latest sales pitch and spend more money than necessary to get the job done.
                        I am quite literally amazed at how many people still forward those spams that say if you forward it you're going to get money from bill gates ... or whatever billionair they use in that chain letter .. now they're printing at the top of these letters (no really, its true because it was on the news for three days straight) ...

*SMH*

I always ask the sender ... "so ... when did you see it on the news ... or who else told you about it being on the news ... oh ... you didnt see it? and no one told you about it other than this letter? thats odd ... maybe because it NEVER FRIGGIN HAPPENED??? Ever consider that???"

Im telling you im amazed were still around as a species ...

Common sense ... not so common it seems ...

Comment

Not sure what area you're in, but I can assure you ... your situation with Spectrum is not something that can and should be accepted as the default for all ISPs.

If they are in fact not providing the speeds they say they are, then surely a court will find them liable for some form of false advertising. And someone at Spectrum is probably playing games by saying things like internet speeds are completely non-linear and also highly dependent on the server you are accessing over the Internet, which is 100% true. However, they should be able to point their customers to a Spectrum managed server which will provide accurate speed results to the client using a TCP/IP method of streaming packets under controlled conditions so that they can prove that the client does in fact have that bandwidth available at their home or place of business. If the legal action has gone "class action" status, then someone has already done their homework and determined that they had a valid case or that would not be happening.

My point in all of what I was saying is that simply taping some batteries to your ethernet cable and expecting packets to flow faster over the Internet is quite literally as absurd as saying that if you take two feathers and tape them to the handles of your car door, your car will now fly like an airplane ... thats about how ridiculous the assertion is concerning taping batteries to an ethernet cable, and if not for the fact that I understand how much people don't understand the technology, I would be mortally horrified to see such a video on youtube presented as fact as it is ... but people will believe anything they don't understand if its designed to sound convincing enough and the viewer is completely ignorant on the issue.

Mike
                          Here's one article on Spectrum not being able to deliver.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/02/t...net-speed.html

I'm in NY State. It was my understanding (cannot find the article now though), that Spectrum isn't the only company having problems. Multiple companies offer speeds they just cannot provide, for various reasons.

Here's a not so long summary of it: http://www.syracuse.com/business-new...ag_says_1.html

Maybe it was just Spectrum not being able to provide. I think the syracuse.com one was the one I read originally and just misremembered it.

And yeah, the first time that double / triple internet speed thing went around years ago, I got calls from a couple people who were thinking of trying it! I think maybe it was meant as a joke or something but people took it serious? Pretty insane, huh?

Comment

Fourfold will be the increase in speed, made by me. Just ask me and by the power of my mind I will make all the transfers four times faster.
                            Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                            1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Maybe it was just Spectrum not being able to provide. I think the syracuse.com one was the one I read originally and just misremembered it.
                              Of all the ISPs I've dealt with, INCLUDING the mom and pop shops, Spectrum has been the most incompetent company to date.

I think fiber technology threw them a curve ball and they have been playing catch-up ever since Verizon started their hard core FIOS push - which there is no way Verizon has begun to see a return on their investment for all the fiber they planted in the ground throughout the nation ... those guys laid a lot ... and I mean A LOT of glass in a very short period of time. And that fact kind of explains why they have been selling off their FIOS division because it's about the time where their share holders are going to want to see a return on the investment and they probably have to sell off the areas that have barely broken even. I would have thought that they would have made this a 20 year plan but who knows.

I do know that the Verizon built FIOS network and the accompanying services they offer, is the closest thing I have ever seen to heaven where Internet service is concerned. They truly understood what you can do over fiber, and they definitely maximized its use and offered services to their customers that utilizes back end technology that most people dont even know exists ... so from that perspective, my hat is off to them for sure.

Spectrum on the other hand ... it's like grandpa owns this company and he doesnt want to be bothered with all this new fangled technology stuff so he just has his 12 year old grandson deal with it for him because he seems to understand it well enough ... and the results of that? Well ... you tell me

And yeah, the first time that double / triple internet speed thing went around years ago, I got calls from a couple people who were thinking of trying it! I think maybe it was meant as a joke or something but people took it serious? Pretty insane, huh?
                              I saw the videos for it ... and the dude that was in the videos sure as hell seemed believable in terms of his vocal tone, body language and sheer confidence in what he was saying... it was obvious to me that he actually has zero understanding of electronics, simple electrical physics etc. because if he had even a little knowledge of those things, there is no way he could have made those videos with a straight face.

But in terms of coming out with a video that has (I think) over 2 million views ... and has actually convinced people to do the equivalent of putting a paper towel on their apple so that the next day it will taste sweeter ... or tape feathers to their car so it will fly ... this guy gets the award for that ... I guess you could call that category "duping the people" ...

I mean seriously ... taping batteries to a cable so that the electrons go faster?

UNBELIEVABLE!

Comment

This post of yours reminds me of a recent news article. Point 1 might be invalid! Here, in my state, it seems a lot of ISPs are charging more money for faster speeds but cannot provide what they promise! For example, when I called Spectrum to try and get our "package" changed a bit, they said we had 50 Mbps internet speed. I said it was 30 Mbps. They said it's 50 Mbps. Shortly after, I see in the local news paper how Spectrum's being sued for not being able to provide the speeds they advertise. It's a class action lawsuit.

Does this apply to Spectrum in Wyoming too?
                                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Of all the ISPs I've dealt with, INCLUDING the mom and pop shops, Spectrum has been the most incompetent company to date....
                                  We had Time Warner Cable until Spectrum bought them out just recently. TWC wasn't that bad. You could work with them with the price and everything, but Spectrum is just awful!!!!

We bought a house, my wife handled transferring the service. Spectrum had already bought TWC at that time. They talked her into this whole home DVR thing, but instead of transferring the account, she had to cancel the old and setup a new one. I didn't realize she was doing the whole home. I tried it before and hated it. When she got it here, she hated it. We called and had them switch it over to just two normal DVRs instead of the whole home ones. Anyway, the bill comes and it's 800$!!! They said we broke the promotion by switching!!!!

When we called to switch though, the lady said it'd break the promotion and told me how much it'd cost. I said we'd like to cancel the service then. Then she said oh wait, we can do it, it'd be 170$ a month. Don't leave yet! And we went through, but the bill came and it was 800$!!!!! I called and said we were going to call the Attorney General (my aunt knows him). They made the bill 170$ a month after I said that.

But we're going to switch to this new (at least to this area) fiber company called Empire Access. They buy their fiber optics directly from Corning, Inc (I live in Corning, so this is good in my opinion). But right now, they don't offer IPv6, something I need. They have plans to support it, but eh.

65$ a month for the first 6 months, then 120$. That's for 100Mbps down, 20Mbps up, telephone (all the US), and television. We can go for 1,000Mbps down, which is something like 265$ a month (total). That's real good I think.

I am so tempted to switch anyways, with just the IPv4, and then maybe try setting up one of those tunnels, but I've never done that before and not sure if it's possible or how I'd go about doing it. I'd have to do some research. People that have switched to Empire have given them great reviews, at least the ones I've talked to. There's always a 6 month or 1 year contract, depending on what you get, to pay for the cost of installation. They'll run the fiber directly to your house I guess. I've seen them do a couple houses on this block already.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                    Does this apply to Spectrum in Wyoming too?
                                    Goontron,

I'm not sure about any other state than NY. But you should google it and see. Something like Spectrum class action lawsuit internet speed

And see if you see anything about your state. From the limited dealings I've had with them so far (they just bought TWC not too long ago), they seem to be a nightmare! Just crazy expensive and not a great company.

Every time I need to use IPv6, I have to call the company and have them reflash my router. The NVRAM becomes corrupt or something. They won't send someone out to replace it. They said I have to bring it into the local office to get it switched out, which is ridiculous! Why? We don't have a local office. I have to drive all the way down to Elmira (or maybe Horseheads) to get it replaced!

Comment

That Theo Joe guy on Youtube is a tit

Comment

They made the bill 170$ a month after I said that.
                                        Amazing how they can sharpen their pencils if you know the magic words ... huh?

But we're going to switch to this new (at least to this area) fiber company called Empire Access. They buy their fiber optics directly from Corning, Inc (I live in Corning, so this is good in my opinion). But right now, they don't offer IPv6, something I need. They have plans to support it, but eh.
                                        OK, I'm curious ... why do you NEED IPv6??

I'm not aware of any services connected directly to the Internet that ONLY use v6 ... in fact, it's my opinion that v6 was a panic response to a "problem" that NATing fixed quite nicely. They were convinced that by now, we'd run out of v4 addresses, but someone forgot to include the whole NAT thing and how that would ease the need for addresses ... by A LOT since you can literally have thousands of computers behind ONE address using NAT ... but I digress...

65$ a month for the first 6 months, then 120$. That's for 100Mbps down, 20Mbps up, telephone (all the US), and television. We can go for 1,000Mbps down, which is something like 265$ a month (total). That's real good I think.
                                        $265 for gigabit Internet would be amazing to me ... but $120 for 100 meg seems high to me - but every area is different. I'm kinda rural ... sort of ... we pay like $65 for 80 megabit out here (10 up).

I am so tempted to switch anyways, with just the IPv4, and then maybe try setting up one of those tunnels, but I've never done that before and not sure if it's possible or how I'd go about doing it.
                                        I've set up somewhere around 300 tunnels in my day I guess ... I've even set up some meshed tunnels and some with failover etc.

In order to know what kinda tunnel you need and the right way to set it up, I'd have to know a few things like is this something that goes from your home to your work? And if so, does the network admin have a pre-established way of tunneling in? Can you use hardware as a termination point, or do you have to use a software VPN client (like the one built into Windows)...

And based on the fact that you can use a tunnel to solve your IPv6 problem, I'm going to say that the use of v6 is more likely something that is internal to your company and not required on the Internet directly ... since in this case, your tunnel would be end to end terminated with IPv4 addresses then your IPv6 addressing would simply happen through the tunnel... kind of confusing I know but once the tunnel is established, and your computer starts sending traffic through the tunnel, the IP addresses that actually create the tunnel are "invisible" to your computer once the tunnel is up and working ... so it could very much use IPv6 address through a tunnel that is terminated with IPv4 addresses ...

People that have switched to Empire have given them great reviews, at least the ones I've talked to. There's always a 6 month or 1 year contract, depending on what you get, to pay for the cost of installation. They'll run the fiber directly to your house I guess. I've seen them do a couple houses on this block already.
                                        Fiber to the home ... believe it or not ... was something I fantasized about when I was only 13 years old back in the early 1980's .. while I was using my 300 baud modem which was 300 BITS per second yielding roughly 37 BYTES per second ... compare that to a 56k modem which is about 7 thousand BYTES per second ... a technology that happened like 13 years later .. and today, we have MEGABITS per second which is literally MILLIONS of BITS per second, or 120 thousand-ish BYTES per second (per each megabit) ... so a 100 megabit connection can pass roughly 12 MILLION BYTES per second ... compare that to my measly 37 bytes per second when I was 13 years old ... tech sure has advanced at an exponential rate, thats for sure...

Anyways ... fiber to the house is a good thing!

Comment

...OK, I'm curious ... why do you NEED IPv6??

I'm not aware of any services connected directly to the Internet that ONLY use v6 ... in fact, it's my opinion that v6 was a panic response to a "problem" that NATing fixed quite nicely. They were convinced that by now, we'd run out of v4 addresses, but someone forgot to include the whole NAT thing and how that would ease the need for addresses ... by A LOT since you can literally have thousands of computers behind ONE address using NAT ... but I digress...
                                          I do software development. There's a personal project I've been developing for a very long time (I've lacked the time or the skills to finish). Anyway, it uses IPv4 and IPv6. I need it for successfully testing the IPv6. Also, cPanel wants me to write a plugin for their cPanel software, but to test successfully, again, I need IPv6. Just to make sure it works with IPv6 and IPv4.

Eventually, we will run out of IPv4 addresses. Personally, I think it's good we're switching to IPv6. There's some sites I guess that are only IPv6. I think last estimate I saw was something like half the internet can be connected to with just IPv6, but most servers have IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
                                          $265 for gigabit Internet would be amazing to me ... but $120 for 100 meg seems high to me - but every area is different. I'm kinda rural ... sort of ... we pay like $65 for 80 megabit out here (10 up)....
                                          Keep in mind, 120$ isn't just internet. That's internet, telephone (all of the 50 states plus the district of Columbia or something like that), and television. So, when you add all of them together, it's not that bad. Not sure how the TV is though or how many channels come with it. I'm sure it's not as many as some of the other bigger companies (ie, Spectrum, Dish, Direct, etc) provide. Everything's over fiber though, so one point of failure...

I've set up somewhere around 300 tunnels in my day I guess ... I've even set up some meshed tunnels and some with failover etc.

In order to know what kinda tunnel you need and the right way to set it up, I'd have to know a few things like is this something that goes from your home to your work? And if so, does the network admin have a pre-established way of tunneling in? Can you use hardware as a termination point, or do you have to use a software VPN client (like the one built into Windows)...

And based on the fact that you can use a tunnel to solve your IPv6 problem, I'm going to say that the use of v6 is more likely something that is internal to your company and not required on the Internet directly ... since in this case, your tunnel would be end to end terminated with IPv4 addresses then your IPv6 addressing would simply happen through the tunnel... kind of confusing I know but once the tunnel is established, and your computer starts sending traffic through the tunnel, the IP addresses that actually create the tunnel are "invisible" to your computer once the tunnel is up and working ... so it could very much use IPv6 address through a tunnel that is terminated with IPv4 addresses ...
                                          I know almost absolutely nothing about tunneling, so I do appreciate the insight. I have a VPS (Virtual Private Server) that I rent from Linode. It has an IPv4 address and an IPv6 address. I don't have physical access to the server. At my house, if I switch to Empire Access (which currently only provides IPv4 addresses), would I be able to setup a tunnel to connect to my Linode server via IPv6 only? I mean I would need it so when I test my programs, it's only through IPv6 and doesn't fall back on IPv4. Would that be possible and if so, how would I go about setting something like that up? Right now, our IPv6 is broken again with Spectrum, so I think I could try to test this tunnel out and if I can get it working, then we can switch to Empire Access.

Fiber to the home ... believe it or not ... was something I fantasized about when I was only 13 years old back in the early 1980's .. while I was using my 300 baud modem which was 300 BITS per second yielding roughly 37 BYTES per second ... compare that to a 56k modem which is about 7 thousand BYTES per second ... a technology that happened like 13 years later .. and today, we have MEGABITS per second which is literally MILLIONS of BITS per second, or 120 thousand-ish BYTES per second (per each megabit) ... so a 100 megabit connection can pass roughly 12 MILLION BYTES per second ... compare that to my measly 37 bytes per second when I was 13 years old ... tech sure has advanced at an exponential rate, thats for sure...

Anyways ... fiber to the house is a good thing!
                                          I remember the days of the dialup modem, but I was a bit older when I got into them (near the end). My first modem was a 14.4Kbps modem that I paid 100$ for. A Haynes compatible. I used to run a BBS and a person who I chatted with (only through the computer, never in real life) connected and downloaded Doom. It took something like 3 days! He only had a 2400 baud modem. I couldn't imagine a 300 baud!!!!

Anyway, the software I've worked on since I was really young is a BBS program. It was called JetBBS. The "developer" released the code as freeware, but never released the source code. I think I know why. Pretty sure he didn't write it from scratch. Just modified the source from another BBS and sold it for money, but I could be very wrong on this. He was a teenager from Seattle and when JetBBS spread to NY (my state), I was the first to buy a legal copy. They mailed it to me but they actually called me asking all kinds of questions and said they couldn't believe how fast it spread and wanted to know how I heard about it and all that. After that, they never released another version. They just abandoned it. But around that time, BBSes were dying out anyways, so who really knows.

I always wanted the source but he wouldn't give or sell it to me (even now, all these years later!!!!). I decided to just try and write an open source clone (although there'd more than likely be no use whatsoever for it). The hard part is the MNU scripting language. I'd need to write an interpreter but it's not a simple one. The scripting languages has GOTO statements. Those are a bit harder to implement. Only way I can think of is reading the MNU files twice. Try to find the labels and the GOTOs, store them in some sort of array, and then go through a second time and process the code.

Comment

Working...
                                          X