Modding gone mad/crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modding gone mad/crazy

A guy posted this "beaty" in a forum that's owned by an online computer store here:

https://www.mygarage.ro/pc-tuning-mo...ml#post2256867

Yes, that's right. 3 exposed, live 220v sockets (2 actually working), an extra power supply, a 12v 4a power adapter for the led strips, 15 fans, 46 buttons.

He even posted a video in the thread, linking it here in case he removes from thread : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_VKzDR2SNI

Re: Modding gone mad/crazy

He's a dumb shit for allowing those sockets being exposed like that, you can easily short them if you have an "accident."

If they were low voltage, I would probably not care since all it does is trip the protection in the PSU.

But to the house circuit? No way.
    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I think I'd much rather put my money into a better power supply than useless junk like flashing lights and crazy numbers of fans.

Comment

In the car community, this guy would be the ultimate 'ricer'..
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Why is there a fan blowing into the PSU's exhaust vent?

Comment

^ because it came out of china i wonder how that works with the 120mm fan trying to blow air out the back

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              In the car community, this guy would be the ultimate 'ricer'..
              I just love how that HP "emblem" is prominently displayed...

1. Putting a name brand on your ricer-krispy does not un-cheepify it.

2. 1 is irrelevant because "HP sux."

So, one voltmeter and rocker switches to connect meter to the rail you want to monitor, verrry interesting.... What happens when you try to "monitor" 3.3V and 12V at the same time?

Oh, wait. Not all the switches/pots are connected, but their lights sure are!
              Last edited by kaboom; 04-10-2014, 06:44 PM.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                I just love how that HP "emblem" is prominently displayed...

1. Putting a name brand on your ricer-krispy does not un-cheepify it.

2. 1 is irrelevant because "HP sux."

So, one voltmeter and rocker switches to connect meter to the rail you want to monitor, verrry interesting.... What happens when you try to "monitor" 3.3V and 12V at the same time?

Oh, wait. Not all the switches/pots are connected, but their lights sure are!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                  [CB_jokes]

That guy "Dave," he "Made" this one...

Who knows? Maybe it's better than a Paolmar fulla Black Widows.

I wouldn't know either way, since my 1-pill Skeleton "swaangs a lotta pounds."

[/CB_jokes]

That "computer" looks like it's ready for "Deer season."

I love the fake certs on the 5-dollar tin box- er power supply... two fans fighting each other? As I live, I'm seeing things. This "mod" just might top the infamous "Adam computer!"

Just might... And does, sadly.

Those nasty cases aren't that strong to begin with. The drive bays, which provide support to the enclosure, have been hacked up. Typical "ricer geek" MO- a million fans exhausting, but with zero makeup air.

This is good- almost like Mike Holt/PeterD/480Sparky/IWire's/etc "spot the violations" from '08 or so.
                  Last edited by kaboom; 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM.
                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                  Originally posted by shango066
                  All style and no substance.
                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

The second PSU fan fighting with the original fan looks like one of the "mods," based on the label. I don't think the company that made it would be using fans from old CPU heatsinks.

Comment

Agreed, it's a ricer box.

Some people are dumb... and some people are DUMB.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

This is definitely someone who would spend $12000 to rice up a four cylinder microcar, only to be beaten from the mark by a bus while the tiny engine with the massive exhaust revs itself to 6K without even losing traction. Bonus FailPoints to the PC ricer if the OS is a pirated 32-bit Windows XP.

Comment

The video appears to have been deleted.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                            A guy posted this "beaty" in a forum that's owned by an online computer store here:

https://www.mygarage.ro/pc-tuning-mo...ml#post2256867

Yes, that's right. 3 exposed, live 220v sockets (2 actually working), an extra power supply, a 12v 4a power adapter for the led strips, 15 fans, 46 buttons.

He even posted a video in the thread, linking it here in case he removes from thread : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_VKzDR2SNI

Sweet god.Not even if I'd try and make something like a street racing car-style PC out of my 1.7 P4 Willamette box and I wouldn't get something as awful as that.And that using a Delux case and a 400W Delux PSU.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

On the other side,if I were to do mods on my PC,they would be a few leds here and there (not a huge load of them),a PS1 incorporated in there (someone did a tutorial about that)and maybe a MP3 player.Also a laptop LCD screen maybe.
                              Last edited by Dan81; 04-13-2014, 01:25 PM.
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Having just seen Monster Squad, and noting the source of the page, I couldn't help but think those exposed 220V male connectors are for giving Frankenstein's Monster a jumpstart - one extra for redundancy, of course. But I guess putting a silver skull on it would perhaps be taking it too far, with that swastika already there - it describes the whole thing well enough!

Those three power outputs...aside from the obvious dangers, how is somebody supposed to keep straight where to plug the thing in? And how did he connect it, by plugging something into one of the individual rails?

Active PFC this isn't!
                                Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                a PS1 incorporated in there (someone did a tutorial about that)
                                A PlayStation in a PC?
                                Last edited by Ed Herdman; 04-13-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

They were actually INPUTS, one for the 12v 4a laptop charger he used for the led strips and one for the second power supply he used to power the fans and fan controller (it's hidden under the dvd writer and fan controller.
                                  The third mains socket wasn't actually working (he disconnected it).

Anyway, i had a discussion with him in the original thread... he basically flipped the psu fan around so both fans were pushing air inside the case through the psu. Like most people, he had no clue about actual power consumptions, he assumed the system will use 500 watts because that's what AMD said for the 6870 and he thought the delux psu was legit. But he added the second psu for the fans and all those leds anyway.

The video card is a 6870.. it was idling at 45c but he still thought it was too much, hence the fans on the panel bringing the idle temperature to 35c
                                  Last edited by mariushm; 04-13-2014, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Herdman View Post
                                    A PlayStation in a PC?
                                    Exactly.I know somebody did that,yet I forgot the name of the site.(the guy who did that was in a team of tuners that had their own site)
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

I found the link to the original mod:
                                      http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/183/1
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Aside from heat or interference issues, the mod seems awful from a usability standpoint unless you are using something which outputs a 15KHz signal (i.e., Powerstrip or Soft-15KHz). That probably wasn't a deal at the time that mod was dreamed up, but today you are going to have to lug your PC over to a classic TV (better than moving the mountain), or add an upscaler to even connect it to many modern TVs or computer monitor, let alone get acceptable quality and responsiveness. The PlayStation is tiny - even the original models - and its best output is RGB (the PS2 adds component).
                                        Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                        They were actually INPUTS, one for the 12v 4a laptop charger he used for the led strips and one for the second power supply he used to power the fans and fan controller (it's hidden under the dvd writer and fan controller.
                                        The third mains socket wasn't actually working (he disconnected it).
                                        Huh. That makes somewhat more sense. I thought I had read something, using an online translator to read the posts, to the effect that the computer would be used in series with some other machines. Probably just an artifact of the translator, I guess. For what it's worth, I have seen some computers which incorporate a power plug in them - to be used to drive some other device immediately nearby, maybe even a CRT monitor. Dumb, but I guess power strips take up too much space for some people. Of course, these used proper (if ungrounded, just two-prong) female plugs without exposed metal.
                                        Last edited by Ed Herdman; 04-14-2014, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X