50" Sammy 5084 plasma with half screen vertical lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50" Sammy 5084 plasma with half screen vertical lines

Starting my own thread, I got this for nothing it turns on and plays on all inputs but has vertical lines halfway down the center of the screen.

If I tap on the back the lines shift and sometimes for a split second the image comes back (blurry/scrambled) then pops back into what you see below.

I haven't taken it apart yet as I thought it was toast but a few think it can be saved.

What you see below is the lines and progression if I tap the back they will shift for a minute then rest on a random display of colored lines. I did a Factory reset when I first got it and the black void became white like the one photo before.

Is she dead Jim!? Should I check for a bad buffer board? The set looks great but unfortunately it must have been used for a display at a realtor office as it has burn in.

Here are the images of the screen.

I know the pros here are stretched thin with a million questions but if one has time to help me trouble shoot I am all in if it can be saved!

Re: 50" Sammy 5084 plasma with half screen vertical lines

You could certainly try reseating the E/F buffer board connections (bottom panel boards)but be careful. The full length aluminium angle strip is in fact a heatsink. Do not run the set without this fitted or the chips fry in no time on the panel ribbons and bye bye panel.

I did that and destroyed a whole panel.

Comment

I also have done that as well on an insignia (samsung). Panel was bad anyway. Yes use a wooden dowel and press on ribbons and buffers in that section
      Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

So did I get lucky? I took a long slim piece of dowl and gently pressed sliding back and forth the connecter side of the ribbon cable and it started to change colors and and then a blurry image were the void was after I released the pressure BAM the void was now filled with the missing image.

So should I risk pulling the back off and reseating the ribbon cable? Does this mean the IC on that ribbon cable is good and it was just a dirty/loose connection? After a minute the void came back for a split second after I moved the tv back but the image came back and has been going for more then 30 min no issues.
        Last edited by Shinju; 05-12-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Comment

So after another 20 min or so the void came back but if I moved or touched the ribbon cable at the connecter it comes back.

I am going to take off the back and clean them all, would a qtip with rubbing alcohol be enough? Can of air for the insides of the connecter?

Comment

Rubbing alcohol is not a good option. I'd use 99% alcohol and electronic contact cleaner.
              LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Ah ok, looks like I have to tear apart quite a bit to get some slack on these ribbon cables. I did pull down the black tab and gave it a good air cleaning and seated it back seems to be doing fine.

I applied pressure with the dowl and it's not changing so I am going to let is run for a bit and see if it come back.

Guess I will have to make a trip and get some proper cleaner!

Comment

Vetco in Bellevue and Fry's in Renton sell 99% alcohol. I've never seen it at Radio Shack. Radio Shack does sell the electronic contact cleaner, though. If you can wait until Wednesday, I can bring both with me.
                  Last edited by capkid; 05-12-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Safe to say this is cureable then?

Comment

Makes me wonder if those little black snap connectors get warped from heat and start to lift up causing the ribbon cable to lift up and loose connection.

Comment

It appears so, but you'd probably have to run it for a few days to confirm the fix. Sometimes corrosion builds up on the contacts or the cable is just loose. I had a Vizio LCD with green shadows onscreen that was back to normal after I cleaned the contacts.

Comment

4 hours in on a pixel flipper and it's still going. I been moving the panel and lightly pressing the afflicted cable and nothing changing for the bad yet!

Working on helping fix the burn in!

Comment

After 13 hours of being on its still going strong, I have moved the panel around and pressed on the area that was being fickle before and nothing is affecting the display.

I now see another slight issue that I think is just a simple voltage adjustment.

On black scenes I am seeing green pixel sparks, I assume this is a V-Scan voltage pot up adjustment?

Comment

Are the voltages to spec as-is?

Comment

I will take a reading when I get home this evening. I was on my way out the door to work when I noticed the green sparks. So I just shut it down

Comment

Panal vs and va voltages according to the sticker, va 65 vs 202, my voltmeter readings are va 65 and vs 210-208 these readings are from the power supply and on the z and y sustain boards as well.

Comment

Green sparklies on a black screen can just be the user menu brightness set a little too high.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I turned off dynamic contrast and and the black level off too. And I adjusted the picture a little too with brightness ect. This panal has had a hard life as a display in a realtor office 8000 hours of close to static images cycling over and over lol.

I put the back on, can those copper heat sink deals be removed? The set is quite with the back off with those hitting the back of the case the buzzing is quite noticeable.

Comment

A lot of plasmas buzz if not every screw is installed. My Panasonic plasmas do.
                                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
                                        X