Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U stand by with new boards!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U stand by with new boards!

AT THIS POINT I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A POLL

I don't know what your time schedule is, but I am learning a lot here, and I don't want to stop. I feel that we are on the heals of the problem with this TV, and I am excited!

With that being said, I expect that you two can't be sitting at your computer, as I am, for the next few hours?

If at any point during these testings, you need to take a break and won't be able to respond for the rest of the day, please by all means do so. But, if so, please let me know, so that I am not glued to the computer. I will take a break as well and get a bite to eat. Right now I am just working off of caffeine, which might not be the best idea when I need steady hands to hold the meter, haha.

Thanks again

Comment

Im on the phone to the DMV , so ill be here till they close in 30 minute

But ill be on later as well, so you should go eat if your hungry.

You can try testing the pins of B without the wires connected, but most likely the tv will not turn on / show any signs of life iwthout B connected. You should still get bu5v without the connector conected though.

So far you have 2 out of 4 voltages your PSU appears to be correct. So i wouldnt suspect the power supply to be bad, so this might not be as simple as a fix as we would like it to be
      Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by cashkennedy View Post
        Im on the phone to the DMV , so ill be here till they close in 30 minute

But ill be on later as well, so you should go eat if your hungry.

You can try testing the pins of B without the wires connected, but most likely the tv will not turn on / show any signs of life iwthout B connected. You should still get bu5v without the connector conected though.

So far you have 2 out of 4 voltages your PSU appears to be correct. So i wouldn't suspect the power supply to be bad, so this might not be as simple as a fix as we would like it to be

OK! So, I will grab a bite to eat with my dad.

Before I go I want to fill you in on what I just tested.

1) I crossed two pins on the power supply board (connection C) and got a spark! I don't think it killed anything - there was no smoke, the TV stayed on, and there was dead fuses.

2) I did end up getting a solid reading of 15volts from both pins on connection C, so that seems to be working, and sending power to the "terminal board"

3) E & F both tested fine with 12voltes.

4) The D connection going to the T-Con Board (the board on top of the TV with the LCD ribbon cables - which turn the pixels on and off - forgot the correct term for it) had no voltage at all. I did test it with and without the connector in there. I got no readings at all.

All other connections (aside from the main board's BU5V - couldn't get the probe in there) tested fine. I did test the main board's UR15V and it test fine (really pushed the probe in there!). I tried to test it without the cable in there, but the motherboard wouldn't turn anything on (since it didn't have power), and I got no readings.

So, do you think the problem might be the T-Con Board (i think that is what it is called)?

Thanks! I'll check back here throughout the night and tomorrow, or however long it takes.

Good luck with the DMV!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by eTanium; 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Ive never seen a TV with a power connection going to the Tcon, but i wouldnt doubt that its possible from sharp. If your not getting 12v from the pnl 12v pins in connector D, try testing it while you turn the tv on / and in both states to see if it ever gets power. If its not getting 12v the problem could be in the powersupply, or that the mainboard isnt sending a signal to power up that part (maybe it only powers up the tcon once the backlights pass inspection).

Someone with more experience with bizzare sharp layouts might be better able to help you, or have you seen if a service manual is easy to find for this model?
          Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

I will run the aditional tests when I get home (in different modes - start up and sand by and such).

I do already have a wiring diagram and service manual for this TV.

I see your point about the main board requesting power for the t-con through the power supply. That might result in there be no power in stand by?

Hmmm.... Again, I am rather sure that the power supply and Main board are sound - I just replaced both of them (unless the issue I am having is destroying these boards - both the old and the new ones).

I am leaning towards the inverters at this point, or maybe the terminal board. Do you have any experience testing those components/boards?

Comment

Ive attached the diagram that shows sorta what communication goes on between the boards. Using it someone might be able to sugest a good path for you to test for errors.
              Attached Files

Comment

Inregards to testing the inverters, most of what you need to test you should do with the tv unplugged. Set your multimeter to the resistance setting bellow 200 which has a speaker icon next to it. Now it will beep when you have less then 200 resistance between the 2 probes. test any fuses you can find on the inverter boards. (connect the probes to each side of the fuse and see if you hear the beep and see 0 on the multimeter).

You can also test the transformers on the inverter (should be around 5-10 on each inverter, maybe has a lot of copper wires if you can see inside them). You will have to post a picture of 1 of the transformers up close (or the reverse side of the board where the transformer is mounted) so that we can number the pins and tell you which to test.

Comment

@etanium: Did you down load the SM from ELEKTROTANYA?
                  Which one matches your chassis?
                  http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresul...oria=&kat2=all
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                    @etanium: Did you down load the SM from ELEKTROTANYA?
                    Which one matches your chassis?
                    http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresul...oria=&kat2=all
                    Yes sir, I have downloaded the service manual for my set, and I have access to the wiring diagrams and such. Yet, it's been all Greek to me.

cashkennedy and multimeter have been kind enough to teach me some Greek, but there is still a lot more to learn, and I am ready to do so.

I will post some pictures of the inverter board in an hour or so

Comment

i think budm is asking for the exact one which you downloaded that matches your set so maybe he can download the same one and look at it for you?

Comment

I tested the power supply board with the TV in error mode (when it is flashing error codes, and there is no steady power light). The power output to the inverter boards only half worked. The 12v post was reading fine, but the 60v had no reading at all. The connection to the terminal board and the t-con board were still reading fine.

Ok, well, the inverter boards are going to be hard to trouble shoot, and I think I would like to leave them for last? There are two to each side of the board, and each pair is connected with a strange bridge (see "connection.jpg" attachment). I am worried about breaking it when I try to detach it and separate the boards. Also, the boards have "high voltage - caution" all of them, haha; intimidating.

Moving onto something that I can handle easier, the terminal board. The TV repair man said that I needed a new Main Board, which I have replaced, and the main board is connected (via a bridge) to the terminal board. So, maybe it is the terminal board? Lets reference attachment "terminal.jpg"

I know I can test the connection (A) coming from the power supply board because they should be the same voltages as labeled on the power supply board. But after that, everything else isn't labeled; I believe it is listed on the system block diagram (attachment "system-block.jpg") but I have no clue what is what on that.

Connection C and D look like they are going to be impossible to test. The plug is going to be in the way. Can I use the probe and touch against the solder point to the board? I feel that this is risky, because I can very easily slip and cross connections - I don't want any more sparks.

Any thoughts?
                        Thanks.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                          i think budm is asking for the exact one which you downloaded that matches your set so maybe he can download the same one and look at it for you?

If that is the case, I downloaded this one:
                          http://elektrotanya.com/sharp_lc-42-.../download.html

sharp_lc-42-46-52d64u.pdf

Comment

I dont know much about testing the tuner board, but there is 1 regulator that i can see on the tuner board that you can test.

Connect everything and get the TV in the state where all the voltages are on. Then set your multimeter to B region for DC voltage and 20v, and black probe to metal / screw. and then red probe to each leg of the regulator.

The regulator is the black dime sized peice on the tuner board that is left of the A connector that goes to the power supply. It has 3 legs, but the middle one might be cut off. it also has a top metal tab that is soldered to the board, the metal tab at the top is the same as the middle leg.

You should see something like 12v on the right leg, then something between 3.3 > 9v on the middle leg. and then possibly 0 or a voltage on the left leg.

Comment

OK, since the thread is getting long, if you do not mind, I would like to verify the followings:
                              1) What do you have on PS_ON pin on PD connector (B) when you hit the power switch on the TV?

2) "The power output to the inverter boards only half worked"? Do you mean that you are not getting 60v from connector LA_L (E)?

There are error signals that the controller will be looking for, the error signal from the Inverter board and from the LCD panel controller board.
                              So if you do not have 60v for the inverter board to operate, the controller will sense that as an error.
                              Attached Files
                              Never stop learning

Comment

OK, since the thread is getting long, if you do not mind, I would like to verify the followings:
                                1) What do you have on PS_ON pin on PD connector (B) when you hit the power switch on the TV?

2) "The power output to the inverter boards only half worked"? Do you mean that you are not getting 60v from connector LA_L (E)?

There are error signals that the controller will be looking for, the error signal from the Inverter board and from the LCD panel controller board.
                                So if you do not have 60v for the inverter board to operate, the controller will sense that as an error.
                                Thank you for taking pity on me. I apologize for having two posts - but the first one was not well organized - this is less confusing and has more detailed pictures.

Before I can answer your question, I need to describe the two states that I did the testing in.

State A: TV is on, with the LED error codes blinking on front panel. There seems to be little, or no, power going to necessary boards. This is what happens every time I plug the TV in without depressing any buttons on the panel.

State B: TV is reset while booted by depressing the Volume Up button and Channel Down button while plugging in the TV. This is supposed to boot the TV into the service menu. At this point, the Power LED on the front panel is solid, and I can hear the main board cycling (the chip under the heat sink seems to be hissing with electricity).

1)
                                State A: When I test the PS_ON connection - which I had to do from the main board's soldering joints for each pin, due to the fact that the connection on the power supply board covers the pins/solder joints completely - I only get 1 to 2 volts at max when I press the power button. The power supply board seems to "click" on, and then immediately "click" off.

State B: When I test the PS_ON connection - again from the main board's solder joint - I get a steady 2 volts before, during, and after pressing the power button. There is no noticeable change or sound.

2)
                                State A: The connections E and F from the power supply board, as well as the connections on each of the inverter boards connected to the power supply board, only read 12 volts for UR12V pin, and 0 volts for the UR60V Pin.

State B: The connections E and F from the power supply board, as well as the connections on each of the inverter boards connected to the power supply board, read 12 volts for UR12V pin, and 60 volts for the UR60V Pin, as they should.

Something is tripping an error as soon as the TV is plugged in, and the main board seems to be telling the power supply to switch off - at least for the 60volts to the inverter boards. The T-con board still gets the correct voltages.

Any ideas?

Comment

Since the 60v power supply does come on in state B, the PS_ON is working OK.
                                  So now I need to figure out why it detects the error from some where before it is being told to tun on (when it is not on, then there will be no 60v for the inverter, and there will be no PS_ON from the main board, so at this point, it should ignore the error line from the inverter board). The only thing is always running is the main board and the LCD control panel board which is receiving the always ON 12v. So the error may be from the LCD control panel. I will have to dig deep int he service maual to get more understanding. There may be other error signals from some where els also, the maunal is kind of bad since they split the pages into half, you have have to print out both pages and tape them together to see what is going on. Ii will be awhile for me to figure it out.
                                  Never stop learning

Comment

out of curiosity,on the main board,can you see a 8 pin chip marked ie 24cxxxxxx 25cxxxxxxx? etc,this is a eeprom or flash chip that controls the booting of the tv ,im inclined to start at the beginning though,eliminating the psu,but it needs to be fired up without nothing else connected, which means turning the supply on via ps-on signal with a resistor,then creating a semi load on the outputs via a resistor or the like,then the outputs can be measured to verify that the psu is oprative fully
                                    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
                                    please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Since the 60v power supply does come on in state B, the PS_ON is working OK.
                                      So now I need to figure out why it detects the error from some where before it is being told to tun on (when it is not on, then there will be no 60v for the inverter, and there will be no PS_ON from the main board, so at this point, it should ignore the error line from the inverter board). The only thing is always running is the main board and the LCD control panel board which is receiving the always ON 12v. So the error may be from the LCD control panel. I will have to dig deep int he service maual to get more understanding. There may be other error signals from some where els also, the maunal is kind of bad since they split the pages into half, you have have to print out both pages and tape them together to see what is going on. Ii will be awhile for me to figure it out.
                                      Thank you for digging so deep with us. If it makes it easier for you, I can photoshop the two pages together and post them to the boards? I did that with some of the wiring diagrams already.

I haven't closed this post in the past two days and refresh it every 10 minutes or so. If you need anything, or would like me to meter things, please let me know.

Thank you again.

Comment

One possibility for why the error occurs when its is off is that possibly after a reboot it has to complete 1 full boot , and if it failed to finish the boot and is powered off then it triggers a failed boot error.

IDK what would be causing the boot to basically freeze in the middle (that appears to be the case, as normally if the boot was detecting an error it should start flashing the error lights), but it would probably be ither a bad main board / mismatch with the tuner, or bad eeprom, or main board not getting proper power. From other sharps that have been worked on it seems that it wouldnt not be the inverter boards that would cause it to freeze in the boot because it completes the boot, then turns them on as well as the tcon at the same time and monitors for an error. And from my experience with most TV's they usually dont care if the tcon isnt connected.

Comment

Yes, it may have failed seftest.
                                          By the way, when you got the new board, did you check to make sure the Model ID plug setting is correct per page 3-14?
                                          Attached Files
                                          Never stop learning

Comment

Working...
                                          X