Dell 2407wfpb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 2407wfpb

Good catch by newbie1. At this point, you might want to check the heatsinked mosfet (Q65??) to the right of that .22 ohm resistor for shorts.
    Last edited by jetadm123; 08-31-2011, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Not sure how i should test this mosfet. The gate, drain and source are labeled

Mosfet is Q651

Comment

With your power supply unplugged, set your meter to resistance and place your probes as follows: G-S, G-D and D-S. If any of the measurents show near zero ohms, you have a short.

Comment

Somehow i sense a feeling of dejavu. & i think the guys in this thread are experiencing the same 'POP' incident as well.

Somewhere in May, i did replaced Q651 (orginally 2SK3502) with MOSFET FCPF11N60 together with the filter cap, burnt resistors, etc as per my previous thread. And it turn out that once i plugged the monitor, the 0.22ohm sense circuitry resistor did the same 'POP' to me. I have measured my newly replaced FCPF11N60 MOSFET & it turn out that all G-D-S are shorted. So i am guessing yours will be shorted as well.

I have yet to proceed to order the MOSFET 2SK3502 because in my area the only MOSFET close the specs is 2SK3501.. Hope someone can crack the code on why is the 0.22ohm sense circuitry resistor keep 'popping' upon plugging in.

EDIT : or maybe i should try replacing 2SK3501 at Q651 (which will be delivered wihtin 1-2weeks) & see whether 0.22ohm will still 'pop'?..
          Last edited by newbie1; 08-31-2011, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Im pretty sure that the fet is shorted, but ill check in the morning when i get back to my bench.

Comment

Newbie, was your monitor repaired, then the resistor and fet failed? Or did all the components fail at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie1 View Post
                Somehow i sense a feeling of dejavu. & i think the guys in this thread are experiencing the same 'POP' incident as well.

Somewhere in May, i did replaced Q651 (orginally 2SK3502) with MOSFET FCPF11N60 together with the filter cap, burnt resistors, etc as per my previous thread. And it turn out that once i plugged the monitor, the 0.22ohm sense circuitry resistor did the same 'POP' to me. I have measured my newly replaced FCPF11N60 MOSFET & it turn out that all G-D-S are shorted. So i am guessing yours will be shorted as well.

I have yet to proceed to order the MOSFET 2SK3502 because in my area the only MOSFET close the specs is 2SK3501.. Hope someone can crack the code on why is the 0.22ohm sense circuitry resistor keep 'popping' upon plugging in.

EDIT : or maybe i should try replacing 2SK3501 at Q651 (which will be delivered wihtin 1-2weeks) & see whether 0.22ohm will still 'pop'?..
                The 'popping' is easy to explain if you look at a schematic of a SMPS. The positive side of the 165VDC (or higher) across the mains cap is tied to one end of the primary of the SMPS. The other end of the primary is tied to the drain pin of the power FET. The source pin of the power FET is tied to one end of the .22 ohm resistor. The other end of the .22 ohms resistor is tied to the negative side of the mains cap. IF the FET is shorted, that resistor is seriously overstressed and will pop.

The best way to make sure nothing will pop is to replace the power FET, the resistor, and the SMPS controller. Check all diodes in the area, then current limit the primary voltage by inserting a 40 watt light bulb in series.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by knoxrebel View Post
                  Newbie, was your monitor repaired, then the resistor and fet failed? Or did all the components fail at the same time.
                  This was what happened when i received the faulty monitor,

Originally posted by newbie1 View Post
                  Model : Dell 2407wfp

Failure : No power LED. Owner claimed that upon switching ON the Power switch a Pop sound was heard + burning smell coming out of monitor.

Dissambled it and I can see that one of the leg of the Big cap is almost/already broken. 2 pink resistors got burnt. Proceed to measure some of the components & found out that
                  1) Main Fuse open
                  2) Bridge rectifier shorted
                  3) Transistor Q601 shorted
                  4) Transistor Q651 shorted
                  After replacing the above, like for like, except Q651 (see earlier post), the 'POP' thing happened.

After that i measured the components again & now i got
                  1) Main Fuse open
                  2) Bridge rectifier NOT shorted
                  3) Transistor NOT Q601 shorted
                  4) Transistor Q651 shorted
                  5) 0.22ohms near Q651 is burnt
                  6) 0.22ohms near Q601 is NOT burnt. tested within range.

Hope i am not confusing anybody here. ..

I was wondering whether there is another component that we missed out that is causing the sense circuitry resistor to blow. From my ONE & only past experience with this resistor getting burnt, is caused by a bad connection on one of the poly capacitor leg beside the resistor on a power supply of a samsung TV. See thread here. But the mystery continues with this Dell 2407wfpb power board though.

Comment

Yep, Shorted in all three measurements. Under .5 ohm.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                      The 'popping' is easy to explain if you look at a schematic of a SMPS. The positive side of the 165VDC (or higher) across the mains cap is tied to one end of the primary of the SMPS. The other end of the primary is tied to the drain pin of the power FET. The source pin of the power FET is tied to one end of the .22 ohm resistor. The other end of the .22 ohms resistor is tied to the negative side of the mains cap. IF the FET is shorted, that resistor is seriously overstressed and will pop.

The best way to make sure nothing will pop is to replace the power FET, the resistor, and the SMPS controller. Check all diodes in the area, then current limit the primary voltage by inserting a 40 watt light bulb in series.

PlainBill
                      ..aye aye captain..

not sure whether i can get hold of a new SMPS controller. but will try to order the FET, resistor & fuse first & perform the 'light bulb test'...... but would not be so soon though..

Comment

Originally posted by knoxrebel View Post
                        Dell 24 inch that appears to be previously "repaired". It shows no signs of power (The main fuse is good but i get no power lights, sounds or video and the backlight does not turn on.) The main cap is different, not sure that they replaced it with the correct value. Does anyone know what the correct value is for the main cap? I purchased and build the blue esr meter, all the caps appear to be good, so im not sure where to start
                        Hi I found burning in IC651 and Q654 transistor in power board of Dell 2407wfp. Please can you let me know the part no of these?

Comment

IC651- L6561D
                          Q654- mmbt3906

Comment

Check SMD resister R669 should be 1k ohm was open on mine and would cause another blow.

Comment

Working...
                            X