• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Important Memo regarding WD Caviar Green drives

Many thanks for the heads up

Comment

LOL I was worried I had a WD Green MY drive is a blue http://www.wdc.com/global/products/s...897&language=1
      My pc
      CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
      MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
      RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
      PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
      GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
        I would say it's all batch based. Some batches like the IBM DeathStar were so bad that they became infamous. The rest just have good and bad days. Buy a dozen WD's made on bad days and you'll hate them forever. Buy a dozen made on good days and they will be the best drive evarr even after a dozen more have failed. The same happens with Seagate, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Hitachi, and (not) Samsung.

People buy random brands from random batches so their reports are random, and therefore meaningless. I buy whatever has the longest warranty. Seagate can sell me all the bad drives they want. They will pay for each one that goes bad which might encourage them to produce slightly less bad drives.
        Except they dont pay for shipping which gets bothersome after the 7th RMA. I dont think they are learning anything. Their factory "recertified" ones you get back from an RMA are junk. The last 7200.11 I got back showed up with 22 realloc sectors. I ran it in a non-critical app until it inevitably failed. Now its due to go back again and Im not sure I want to. Im about ready to just dumpster all 5 except it would leave my brothers machine without drives.
        My most reliable .11 is the only one of the original 5 that managed not to trip the firmware bug before I found out about the issue and did the firmware update.
        Also, one of his just got kicked out of a hardware RAID 1. I have not investigated yet. Dont really feel like it. So I probably have two that are due to go back.
        Last edited by Colt45ws; 07-10-2011, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X