Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iiiiiyama Prolite 2407HDSD

Got this from work dead

I think I will replace my main 24" TV/monitor with it, which has a stupid image zoom feature that's set to minimum of 110%... I knew it would only be time until one of these died (they are really cheap rubbish monitors), engineering team just gave me one.

It is completely dead. No sign of power at all.

Pics soon when I get it home.
    Last edited by tom66; 08-06-2012, 02:40 AM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Iiiiiyama Prolite 2407HDSD

Just noticed I can hear a faint whining from the back of the monitor and a few clicks when I plug it in (from the inductor arcing.) I am hoping now that it is a bad cap issue.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      Just noticed I can hear a faint whining from the back of the monitor and a few clicks when I plug it in (from the inductor arcing.) I am hoping now that it is a bad cap issue.
      A few clicks? maybe it is a film cap or HV cap that is arcing and clicking.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
        A few clicks? maybe it is a film cap or HV cap that is arcing and clicking.
        I'm hearing normal arcing when the IEC connector is plugged in but that means something is drawing power so it's not a blown fuse.

About a minute ago the standby LED lit up blue and the screen briefly flashed "no signal" before dying. So it does seem like bad caps as after a while it could warm up and run briefly.

Comment

I'm hearing normal arcing when the IEC connector is plugged in but that means something is drawing power so it's not a blown fuse.

About a minute ago the standby LED lit up blue and the screen briefly flashed "no signal" before dying. So it does seem like bad caps as after a while it could warm up and run briefly.
          Well, open 'r up!

Probably some crapxons in there, or samxon.
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Maybe cold solder joints too.

Comment

Got the monitor home, and it now appears to power on and off without issue .

However, I think I found the problem. The power socket is very, very badly cold jointed on the LIVE and EARTH connectors. To think, if the earth failed, it would mean the device is dangerous (single insulation only, electric shock hazard!) The live is obviously the main issue. There's also some less than stellar soldering on some other joints.

And no screws holding in the main chassis! Held in only by pressure from the rest of the case!!

Also full of Elite caps.

I think I will recap this power supply completely.
              Last edited by tom66; 08-06-2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Got the monitor home, and it now appears to power on and off without issue .

However, I think I found the problem. The power socket is very, very badly cold jointed on the LIVE and EARTH connectors. To think, if the earth failed, it would mean the device is dangerous (single insulation only, electric shock hazard!) The live is obviously the main issue. There's also some less than stellar soldering on some other joints.

Also full of Elite caps.

I think I will recap this power supply completely.
                Wow, talk about lame engineering!

Elite failers
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

So, it's working now on my desk, just before I get the caps I want to run it.

WHAT A FAFF trying to get it on the 1920x1080 mode!

First it doesn't natively support the VGA timing it says it supports, so the image is too small on 1920x1080.

So, I change the timing in Nvidia's control panel to CVT, reduced blank. Perfect image... for 2 seconds. Then monitor goes into stupid auto-adjust mode... for 13 seconds. Guess how long the "Is resolution okay?" dialog lasts... yeah, 15 seconds. When you account for the 2 second init, this gives you all of... zero seconds to press "OK".

So after about 10 failed attempts (and dealing with the partially functional control panel buttons, which were cold jointed too) I eventually resorted to using... another monitor. Worked first time.

I will have to get this working with DVI soon as VGA has ghosting due to my 9800GT (known issue... affects even 1280x1024...) That should be fun.

Also when it changed resolution I noticed the CCFLs "pinging", flickering quite violently, for about 5 seconds. This is a sign of an unstable power supply, unable to cope with the changing load. The monitor's about 6 months old (replacement for a monitor which died in about 8 months, so it's not under warranty any more, because they don't extend the warranty to cover replacements) so I doubt the CCFLs are an issue.

Enjoying gaming in crystal clear 1080p now. Old one is going on eBay as refurbished. Someone will get a good deal.

Last edited by tom66; 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Well, it's fixed - although the only problem was cold joints, I replaced all caps (using Panasonic FR and Rubycon ZLH), except the big 150uF 400V... though going by the failures of other Elite primaries, I may be replacing that in a few years time...

Comment

Okay, so I had to open the monitor up today again because it was misbehaving itself. Intermittently not turning itself on when button is pressed. Cause was a cold joint on the button board for the power button. Dammit this thing is RIDDLED with them!

Reflowed nearly every joint I could see and it works great now. Why can't this manufacturer solder properly?

Comment

Why can't this manufacturer solder properly?
                        Lead-free solder.
                        It is very brittle and requires a higher temperature to melt.
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                          Lead-free solder.
                          It is very brittle and requires a higher temperature to melt.
                          I reflowed all of the joints with leaded solder so that should fix it, hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X