Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor

If the solder does not turn to liquid with your current iron, then you will need one with more watts. Next step up I would recommend would 40w to 45w. I also recommend one that is automatically temperature controlled. I don't know what is available where you are (Brazil?).

Here's one example, an Aoyue 937:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AOYUE-937-Digita...-/120545542541

Always try to get 1 extra tip in around 1/8" chisel tip.

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi, I finally could desolder the capacitors (the iron was not hot enough) and solder the new ones. But unfortunatelly the monitor still does not work (it shows the "acer" logo and then the screen goes black).
      I realised that when I turn it on, there is a yellow light that comes from the tubes, close to the inverter board. this ligth flashes only one second and at the same time I can hear a "click" sound.
      Do you know what it means?
      I have uploaded a 5 seconds video that shows the problem.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrVXn96_E5s
      Thank you very much!
      Hernan
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hernan_perez_br View Post
        Hi, I finally could desolder the capacitors (the iron was not hot enough) and solder the new ones.
        Hmm, I see you chose not to buy the Panasonic FC and got something called Suntan.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

None of Suntan's caps are suitable for this application. They are all general purpose caps and list no ESR or Ripple ratings:

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...69d67effe9.pdf

You -must- use low ESR caps here. You probably just replaced failed caps with new ones that are no better in ratings than the failed ones.

Where are you getting the caps from? Local store or website?

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

I realised that when I turn it on, there is a yellow light that comes from the tubes, close to the inverter board. this ligth flashes only one second and at the same time I can hear a "click" sound.
            Do you know what it means?....
            It means the inverter controller is sensing an imbalance in the output to the tubes and is shutting down. Experience and the number of complaints seems to point to these being -overly- sensitive to faults.

That light looked pink not yellow in the video. The fact that it's firing the tubes, means the driver circuits are probably in good shape. You may have a weak tube and the chip sees that as a problem and shuts the unit down. Make sure the start up lighting appears equal along those slots.

The clicking sounds like a relay, but maybe I'm not hearing what you are.
            Maybe it's the sound of the inverter shutting off?

Let's go back and start with replacing those caps with the correct ones.
            What was the name and series off the original.

If you're not sure what I'm asking, just post each line off the old cap and we'll figure it out.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Hi Toasty, thanks for reply.
              The light that comes from the tubes flashes when the "acer" logo appears on the screen.
              And the "click" sound is like a relay.
              I have bougth the new capacitors in a local stores (I am living in Australia)
              http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...T&SUBCATID=859
              I bought them because in the description said low ESR "Capacitor Electrolytic 100uF 35V L/ESR "

The old ones are:
              "NKCOM" 100uF 35v
              105oC
              F2056
              EVL

This time I will buy them online, is this capacitor the one I have to buy?
              http://australia.rs-online.com/web/s...uct&R=4491056#

Regarding the "acer" logo, it is shown 2 seconds when I switch on, and then if I swith off and on, it just flushes half a second.

Thanks again for reply!
              Hernan

Comment

If they had been the Samxon's that are advertised in the picture from Jaycar, you would probably be okay.

As retiredcaps pointed out, the Panasonic FC is what you need. The one you chose from RS is correct.

Ahhh... Just a thought here? If you replace the caps and it still does the same thing, the sound you're hearing -might- be a tube connection arcing to the shell. The inverter senses the problem and shuts down. Just a theory. I cannot hear the click on the video other than when you switch it on.

You'll have to pull the panel apart then, and that's another bag of worms. Many people damage the panel doing that, and trash the monitor.

Toast
                veritas odium parit

Comment

You are rigth I replaced the caps and it still does the same thing.
                  I have pull the panel apart and I realised some tubes are not in the right position, could you please let me know if the tubes are connected OK?
                  That may be the cause of the problem.
                  Thank you very much!!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Misunderstood.

The current caps are -not- correct.

What I meant was, once you replace the caps you just replaced with the FC ones from RS, if it does the same thing, then you should take the panel apart.

Since you have it apart, inspect those connections. See if there are any places where it may have arced to the panel or penetrated the insulation of either the wire or the connection points. Sometimes there is a bad solder joint, so look closely where the wire is soldered to the tube.

Yes, carefully reposition that tube the same as the others.

Be -VERY- careful with those panel ribbon wires at the ends and at the top when reassembling the panel. They're easily damaged. Also, remember those connectors have a pop-up release mechanism. Basically a zero insertion force connection. No tension on cable to remove -or- reinsert.

Toast
                    Last edited by Toasty; 01-21-2011, 10:57 PM.
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Yes, I misunderstood.
                      I opened the panel and inspected the tube connections, solder joins and all looks OK.
                      I assemble again the panel and it is showing the "acer" logo, which should mean that I have not damaged the ribbon wires.
                      I will order now the panasonic FC capacitors and change them, looks like it is an issue in the inverter board and not in the tubes.
                      Thanks a lot.
                      Hernan

Comment

Yes, I misunderstood.
                        I opened the panel and inspected the tube connections, solder joins and all looks OK.
                        I assemble again the panel and it is showing the "acer" logo, which should mean that I have not damaged the ribbon wires.
                        I will order now the panasonic FC capacitors and change them, looks like it is an issue in the inverter board and not in the tubes.
                        Thanks a lot.
                        Hernan
                        Well since you have already had the LCD panel apart down to the ccfl's ,If you haven't already try powering the monitor on and looking closely at each ccfl.See if one or two are giving off the yellow or reddish color.
                        You don't have to have the LCD's ribbon cable hooked up just insulate the pins so they will not touch a ground
                        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Hi Alexanna, I have assembled again the LCD panel, so I can not test the tubes. I just had a look to the tubes and the solder joints and all look ok.
                          The yellow or reddish color comes from the tubes in the middle of the screen but only when the "acer" logo is shown, as you can seen in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrVXn96_E5s

Thank you very much.

Comment

Which MOSFETs you folks been using to replace the p5504edg and the p2804bdg? I saw mention of FDD6690 and FDD6685, do these look viable?

Comment

I am looking for replacement parts for the inverter and need your advise. All part numbers are from digikey.

Is DMN4015LK3-13DICT-ND or FDD8451CT-ND good replacement for P2804BDG?

Is FDD4685CT-ND good replacement for P5504EDG?

Are P10294-ND capacitors good for the inverter board?

What will be a good replacement for smd fuse F2 marked "M" from digikey?

Thanks for help

Comment

First choice: FDD8451 DMP4051LK3
                                Second choice: DMN4030LK3 FDD4243

I haven't found a pair that runs as cool as the original Nikos but these do work.
                                sig files are for morons

Comment

Are the capacitors good choice for replacement?
                                  What smd fuse should I use to replace F2?

Comment

Does anyone know the replacement for fuse F2? It has "M" imprinted on it.

Comment

Originally posted by wenter View Post
                                      I am looking for replacement parts for the inverter and need your advise. All part numbers are from digikey.

Is DMN4015LK3-13DICT-ND or FDD8451CT-ND good replacement for P2804BDG?

Is FDD4685CT-ND good replacement for P5504EDG?

Are P10294-ND capacitors good for the inverter board?

What will be a good replacement for smd fuse F2 marked "M" from digikey?

Thanks for help
                                      Tell you what. Provide a decent picture of F2 and the length and I might be able to help you. The meaning of the letter can vary, depending on the manufacturer and series of the fuse.

PlainBill
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Here is a picture of a "M"-marked F2 fuse. It is about 1mm wide and about 3mm long.
                                        I think somewhere in the thread was information that it is 2A fuse, how do you think?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Your fuse may be marked with a “W” rather than an “M”
                                          This fuse in the link is rated at 24v volts and is a fast blow to me 4 amps does not seem excessive for an inverter fuse. Do the dimensions match up?
                                          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...T-ND&x=16&y=19
                                          Please see if we can get someone else to conferm this as a possibility
                                          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Working...
                                          X