No announcement yet.

Samsung TV On Off Cycle Bad Capacitors, PLEASE READ, I need your help guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung TV On Off Cycle Bad Capacitors, PLEASE READ, I need your help guys

From the NESDA-Ohio site, one of their recent Speaker articles was about manufacturer provided training. I wrote down the names of manufacturers that do actual training for the independent repair crowd.
    If they respect their product enough to provide training on its repair and maintenance, they are likely to be in business next year, and have parts available, and maybe even schematics and repair manuals.
    Here's the list of trainers:
    LG
    Mitsubishi
    Philips/Funai(!!!!)
    Samsung
    Sony
    Toshiba

You don't see vizon, vison, Panasonic, Polaroid, etc showing up. The companies that play the odds with minimal warranty and 'ship it back if it dies' repair policies will likely take the money and run. You may be left with a pretty doorstop when the smallest of parts fails and cannot be found.
    Oh, and be careful cleaning the LCD and bzzzt brain fade - electronic screens. They are easily damaged - PERMANENTLY. Be sure to read the mfg recommendation.
    tom

Comment

You got that right. Samsung and Philip did run us by on training sessions so that's consistent.

We USED to do Panasonic/Mitsubishi/Toshiba till they just put us under their heel and not train at all, hassling us for any warranty stuff paperwork, all the works. Then finally dropped us. Same with JVC (which I regard as another excellent TV to have).

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by tmwalsh
        You don't see vizon, vison, Panasonic, Polaroid, etc showing up. The companies that play the odds with minimal warranty and 'ship it back if it dies' repair policies will likely take the money and run. You may be left with a pretty doorstop when the smallest of parts fails and cannot be found.
        Oh, and be careful cleaning the LCD and bzzzt brain fade - electronic screens. They are easily damaged - PERMANENTLY. Be sure to read the mfg recommendation.
        tom
        Don't put Panasonic in the same category as Vizio/Polaroid. They make the good stuff. Just because companies don't have training doesn't mean they don't make junk, and vice versa. Samsung is on that list, and wasn't it a failure of one of their televisions that started this thread in the first place?

Comment

WLG,
          You're right. Panny was put there by mistake on my part. Brainfade comes more often as you get older. I am not a fan of their TVs, but they do have a decent rep, so far.
          tom

Comment

ive replaced the bad caps on the power supply board of my samsung dlp hl50a650c1f 13 mo old tv. two of them were samwa 470uf@200v,three others also samwa2200uf@25v.one other on the ballast board 47uf@450v which was leaking a brownish substance out of the top which i could wipe off.this was done over two hours ago and everything seems to be working fine.i will not bash samsung everyone else is doing plenty of that. i will only say that i buy products according to the service i get and leave it at that.thank you for your forum i dont thik i would have attempted this repair without it, also thanks to digi-key who supplied me with good caps at a total of a little over $12.00.thanks again.louald

Comment

Good service. I don't care what others have spurned the brands for various reasons but I like Samsung for service and their TV line especially series 4 and up is excellent for picture processing is not too bad excepting the tuner side. I do have very specific reasons for other brands that we have hard time with.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I paid $450 about 6 months ago to fix the very same problem on my Samsung LNT5271FX/XAA model--at that time, I did not think to go on the internet to research problem--Service tech came out to my house and said he had to "Replace the entire board" due to bad capacitor. (TV was about 14 mos old--just out of warranty.)

Then two days ago the same problem appeared on my other Samsung (LN26A450C1D). Went on line to find ALL KINDS of issues with bad caps--also to find out that the caps can be replaced--entire board does not have to be replaced. I am not handy and would not even PRETEND to think I could open up the TV and replace (God forbid resolder!) caps back on, but at least when I take it to get repaired, I know it should not cost $450 ....

Thank you for your informative posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lfischer
                  I paid $450 about 6 months ago to fix the very same problem on my Samsung LNT5271FX/XAA model--at that time, I did not think to go on the internet to research problem--Service tech came out to my house and said he had to "Replace the entire board" due to bad capacitor. (TV was about 14 mos old--just out of warranty.)

Then two days ago the same problem appeared on my other Samsung (LN26A450C1D). Went on line to find ALL KINDS of issues with bad caps--also to find out that the caps can be replaced--entire board does not have to be replaced. I am not handy and would not even PRETEND to think I could open up the TV and replace (God forbid resolder!) caps back on, but at least when I take it to get repaired, I know it should not cost $450 ....

Thank you for your informative posts.
                  I hope you understand that like many other tasks, soldering ranges from very easy to extremely difficult.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being soldering two 18 gauge wires together, and 10 replacing a 244 pin IC, replacing these caps would rate about a 2. The tools would run under $20, the caps under $10. The feeling of accomplishment - Priceless!!!

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I just stumbled upon this site as i was researching about the apparently common issues with the Samsung LCD TVs. My particular model is the LN46-650.

I took the unit apart (it was already out of warranty) and examined the caps and there were a total of 4 for my particular model. There were two 1000uF 10V rated caps and two 1000uF 25V rated caps. The two 25V had noticable swelling at the top. My question is, should i replace them all with higher voltage caps or just replace them with better quality caps, same voltage? I was gonna solder two 35V caps to replace the 25V caps and then two 25V caps for the 10V. Is there anythign else i should pre-emptively replace. I don't want to have to spend about 20 minutes taking this thing apart again! Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Comment

Originally posted by arct
                      The two 25V had noticable swelling at the top. My question is, should i replace them all with higher voltage caps or just replace them with better quality caps, same voltage? I was gonna solder two 35V caps to replace the 25V caps and then two 25V caps for the 10V.
                      Replace all the caps whether they swell or not. They don't have to swell to be bad.

You can go higher in voltage or stay the same. If you go higher in voltage, make sure the diameter and height fit on your TV. Higher voltage caps are sometimes bigger.

Use high quality low ESR caps like Panasonic FM/FC series or Rubycon MCZ.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by arct
                        I just stumbled upon this site as i was researching about the apparently common issues with the Samsung LCD TVs. My particular model is the LN46-650.

I took the unit apart (it was already out of warranty) and examined the caps and there were a total of 4 for my particular model. There were two 1000uF 10V rated caps and two 1000uF 25V rated caps. The two 25V had noticable swelling at the top. My question is, should i replace them all with higher voltage caps or just replace them with better quality caps, same voltage? I was gonna solder two 35V caps to replace the 25V caps and then two 25V caps for the 10V. Is there anythign else i should pre-emptively replace. I don't want to have to spend about 20 minutes taking this thing apart again! Thanks in advance for the help guys!
                        Certain models of Samsung TVs were notorious for containing Samwah caps from bad production lots. Wizard has mentioned this; I ran across the problem on a 46" Samsung LN-T4665F LCD TV. I checked all the caps in the power supply with an ESR meter and found only those particular caps were bad. All others read much better than the spec.

Again, the general rule of thumb is to replace all caps from a known bad manufacturer. In the case of mine, I checked all the caps and did not replace those that tested good.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I work for a law firm that is investigating Samsung LCD and plasma TV power supply problems. We have spoken with several Samsung TV owners who have similar experiences to the ones described in this thread. If you would like to share your story with us to help with our investigation, SNIP!

Thanks,

John
                          Last edited by kc8adu; 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM. Reason: contact info removed.you will not troll for customers here!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhgg View Post
                            Hi everyone,

I work for a law firm that is investigating Samsung LCD and plasma TV power supply problems. We have spoken with several Samsung TV owners who have similar experiences to the ones described in this thread. If you would like to share your story with us to help with our investigation, SNIP!

Thanks,

John
                            Why on earth would I want to help a bunch of sleazy lawyers? Are you hoping to move up from chasing ambulances to filing class action lawsuits; or are you so well known in your area you can't even get clients for pro bono work?

PlainBill
                            Last edited by kc8adu; 01-04-2011, 08:04 AM. Reason: contact info removed.you will not troll for customers here!

Comment

How the eff did a lawyer get in here?
                              36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                                How the eff did a lawyer get in here?
                                They're like cockroaches. Scuttle around in the dark, feed on waste, generally foul anything they come in contact with, and make a delightful crunching sound when you step on them.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. Cockroaches do have fill an important ecological niche.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                  Replace all the caps whether they swell or not. They don't have to swell to be bad.

You can go higher in voltage or stay the same. If you go higher in voltage, make sure the diameter and height fit on your TV. Higher voltage caps are sometimes bigger.

Use high quality low ESR caps like Panasonic FM/FC series or Rubycon MCZ.
                                  It may have gotten lost in the thread, but I'm assuming that we're still talking about Samsung PS board, right? I've got the on/off cycling problem on a Samsung 52" LCD and will talk with samsung tech support rep this afternoon and hopefully they will come and repair my unit (2.5 years old) at no cost,even though it's out of warranty. If I can't convince them to do this, then my next step is to replace the caps myself, but I was only planning to work with the PS board. I haven't opened the unit yet, but I'm assuming that there are many other caps throughout the set, and I hold the "if it ain't broke" philosophy.

Also, if anyone has some advice on negotiating with Samsung, I'll appreciate that also.

Thanks

Comment

these sort of class actions rarely help the injured parties.no benefit except lining the pockets of these bottom feeding scum.go back to chasing ambulances!
                                    Originally posted by jwhgg View Post
                                    Hi everyone,

I work for a law firm that is investigating Samsung LCD and plasma TV power supply problems. We have spoken with several Samsung TV owners who have similar experiences to the ones described in this thread. If you would like to share your story with us to help with our investigation,

Thanks,

John
                                    Last edited by kc8adu; 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Hi, I've just joined the forum after searching the web and drawing a blank for an answer to my particular problem. I'm not a technician but it sound's like this thread might have identified the problem with my TV. I have a Samsung WS-32Z306V which keeps switching to Standby. It is approx 4 years old from new. There is no pattern i.e. it happens at different times but it will switch on again straightaway. If bad caps are the problem, coulds someone please me help me by telling me which caps specifically will need replacing.

Many thanks, Paul (UK)

Comment

Samwha and Sam Young caps are usually what's in those Samsung LCD Monitors and TVs.

if you see any of those 2 crapcap brands, replace all of them..
                                        (the Rubycon in the pic is just to keep the blue Samwha from rolling away Rubycon is a good brand)

Last edited by Scenic; 01-30-2011, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lfischer View Post
                                          Bad is not only they replace whole board (well maybe they replace the caps than back in factory and give it to somebody else next time), but even that making such a board cost what, 50 bucks at most? And they sell it for 450? This is theft for me.
                                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X