IBM NetVista Hard Drive Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM NetVista Hard Drive Rails

I recently got an IBM NetVista for a very good price, however it did not include the hard drive. I thought that I would just pop in any IDE hard drive and I would be away.

Unfortunately the hard drive can not be screwed in directly to the chassis of the case because it is designed to use a proprietary hard drive rail. The required rails are shown in the picture below.

These rails are not easy to come by in Australia (it seems). I have seen them on EBay in the UK and the US. However these rails would probably cost me just as much as the whole system!

I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas on making a custom homemade hard drive rails?

I was thinking about making a pair of timber rails that i could then screw to the systems chassis. Would there be any disadvantages with this idea?

I will have to hunt around in the garage and see what aluminium sections I can find. Maybe I could use am aluminium section as a rail with minimal modification.
    Attached Files

Re: IBM NetVista Hard Drive Rails

A strip of plastic with recessed holes for the plastic to drive screw heads.
    [Use pointed screws from chassis into plastic.]
    A strip of wood used the same way.
    Small piece of aluminum angle iron.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

These rails aren't very different from the older black plastic rails used on the IBM PC, PC/AT and some PS/2 systems. Look around, there should be lots of it in PC scrapyards which you can get for pennies and then modify slightly if necessary with a Dremel or in the old-fashioned way with a file, hacksaw and drill.

Comment

I have similar rails in my IBM Netvista 8309-16A. It looks like you could make wooden rails, then just push it in and sticky tape it at the end so it doesn't fall out.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Hi Shadow

Antec has used similar drive rails in a lot of their cases. I still have some around, so if you could say what the dimensions are, I could check against mine.
          Antec usually sell spare ones on their site for a modest fee, but they don't state the dimensions.

Good Luck,
          Keri
          The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Similar drive rails in my case. Also similar drive rails in dell cases I have seen, also others. Look on ebay for hard drive rails in general and see which ones look the same.

Comment

Duct tape works here. I did it before with one of these cases.
              Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Just an update.

I ended up making a set of compatible rails out of an off cut piece of hardwood.

Pictures should come up tomorrow!

Comment

Sorry I didn't post the pics like I said I would.
                  I forgot about it and the rails already live in their homes.

Comment

Working...
                  X