Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precision 650 problem

Hi

I have a Precision 650 sitting here that is circling the drain.

I had two of these before and fixed one with a capacitor kit from here. The other one it looked as if someone had tried recapping before and they may have damaged something.

The current problem is it was slow. Then it started with the BSOD, Then it would even BSOD trying a windows re-install.
    Now it shows the Dell logo and that is it.

I do not see any obviously bad capacitors. Should I go ahead and order another cap kit from here or am I wasting my time and money.

Or another solution?

Thank You
    Roger

Re: Precision 650 problem

Originally posted by TBoneit View Post
    Hi

I have a Precision 650 sitting here that is circling the drain.

The current problem is it was slow. Then it started with the BSOD, Then it would even BSOD trying a windows re-install.
    Now it shows the Dell logo and that is it.
    Could be HDD failure.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

yeah that screams HDD failure

sometimes when the START to go corruption begins, causing random errors, then it gets worse and worse, till the bios locks up trying to detect it
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Unfortunately not the Hard drive. I unplugged the two and plugged in a known good one. It still ended up with the Dell boot device menu being the last thing that was displayed.

Thanks for the ideas.TB

Comment

have you tried disconnecting EVERYTHING but the the PSU and front panel?

also, be sure there isn't a heat issue here, sometimes P4's will clock themselfs down if they get too hot, giving the appearence of being too slow. reseat the heatsink, make sure the fan is spinning and it has good airflow
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Could be the new caps are crap and letting lots of ripple through. Do you see any broken traces?
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
            X