X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: acer 5920 g blinking power adapter

Originally posted by Ronny_G View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

The caps are marked as 10U/X6S/25V...so i guess 25V and 10uF or 100uF???
    If they are marked 10U it's 10uF, all right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny_G View Post
      Hi,

Thanks to you guys i was able to localise the bad caps PC112 PC118 and PC90 on the motherboard of my Acer 5920g.

After removing them everythings seems to work fine (Green LED on the PowerSupply doesn flash anymore and the Blue LED on the Laptop is working).

Now i want to know if i can run the laptop without those caps, or does i have to replace them before using the laptop?

On the follwing pages they are telling that the are "redundant":
      http://www.fixya.com/support/t280473...or_green_light
      http://www.fixya.com/support/t338288...tor_fix_doesnt
      http://www.fixya.com/support/t899162...ot_power_power

Thanks in adavance for your help.

Greetings
      The way I think about it quite simple. If the part isn't needed the manufacturer would have saved their money and not installed them.

Comment

The total uF for that bank of caps is specified by Intel in their Design Guides.
        Their job is to protect THE PROCESSOR from RF [aka EMI] damage.
        EMI happens even when it's off.

So your traveling in your car with the laptop in the seat and the cop next to you keys up his radio to talk, or you drive past a TV or Radio station or a HAM operator's house.
        The next time you start the laptop you find the CPU is dead and you dunno why.
        Why is because those caps are missing and some transmitter fried your CPU.
        And that's why you don't listen to the idiots at fixya.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by ablacon64 View Post
          Does the LCD lamp works?
          Try to press fn+F5 to switch to external monitor.

Thanks Ablacon you are the best!!!
          Pressing twice fn+F5 the monitor is now alive!!

But now i have another probs. with this notebook (or mainboard)
          It not charge the battery!! The battery is ok i have tried to another notebook, and the power adapter is also ok.
          Have you any tips?? May be the charging circuit on the mainboard?
          Can i replace somethings on the charging circuit to try to repair without replace the mainboard that for the rest is ok??

Thanks in advance

Comment

First, check the fuse near the battery connector. Post results.

Comment

First, check the fuse near the battery connector. Post results.
              Thanks for reply, i will check tomorrow and then post results.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenxo View Post
                Thanks for reply, i will check tomorrow and then post results.
                I tested the fuse and seems to be ok, but i have noticed that the ic located at pu1 become very very hot. I don't know if this is normal or is not related to battery charge... what do you think about???

Comment

PU1 is the battery charger, would be my next tip.
                  Check the datasheet to be sure the problem is not somewhere else:
                  http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee.../ISL6251A.html

Comment

Check capacitors PC112 and PC118 near the memory slots. One of them (or both) may be shorted. Very common on that model.

Hi

I have the same problem as skywalker. my acer 5920 was not switching on and everytime i plug the ac adapter into the laptop the green light blinks. I was told by a local shop that it would cost £60 to £80 to repair. After reading this forum i thought i fix the problem myself. People have mentioned that the problem could be the capacitors PC112 and PC118 near the memory slots. I have located them on the motherboard but not sure how to check them if there are shorted or not. Please could someone help me I would really appericate it. Thanks

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by uzywuzy View Post
                      Hi

I have the same problem as skywalker. my acer 5920 was not switching on and everytime i plug the ac adapter into the laptop the green light blinks. I was told by a local shop that it would cost £60 to £80 to repair. After reading this forum i thought i fix the problem myself. People have mentioned that the problem could be the capacitors PC112 and PC118 near the memory slots. I have located them on the motherboard but not sure how to check them if there are shorted or not. Please could someone help me I would really appericate it. Thanks

Regards
                      the simple way is take the caps off from mobo and check it with capameter... and ohm meter . if they short...change it with the new one..

Comment

Hi Gents,

New here and needing some help. My 5920 is doing the above. Is anyone in Michigan and willing to repair?? I have never really done any ic board soldering..

Comment

hi there im new to this site but looks really cool just hoping someone can help in fixing a acer 5920 it has a blow chip pc66 was hoping someone could tell me what it its and the value of it?
                          be really great full if they could

Comment

You're welcome. Sometimes PC90 and PC96 fail too, just got one this week.
                            where is pc96 located cant find it?

Comment

Hi,

I have same problem. Power adapter is blinking(short), but when I test power connector on laptop on Ohm 1X - there is no short(resistance infinite). Very near power connector on MBO reading is OK, but as soon as I go a bit further i get shorted reading almost on every point on MBO.
                              There is no any burned traces on mbo. I checked PC112, PC118, PC90 are good(desoldered). Pc96 - i can't find. Where is it? Any advice what to check?

Comment

Originally posted by trex13 View Post
                                Hi,

Pc96 - i can't find. Where is it? Any advice what to check?
                                locate PU1 - ISL6251A and its pin number 9. capacitor is PC96 is connected to it through ground. 100P/NPO/50V_6

acer 5920

dunno if the same with 5920g

regards

Comment

Hi.

Well, i´m just another one with a blinking adapter on a 5920G.

My first step is to test if the capacitors PC112, PC118, PC90, PC96 are ok?

In my case the MOSFET near the power plug in gets really really hot just after 2/3seconds..

Comment

PC Bones you are awesome.. Just replaced the PC118, it is shorted.. Will update the result..Whatever happens, just want to thank you guys,, very helpful..

fernism

Comment

Originally posted by fddizon View Post
                                      locate PU1 - ISL6251A and its pin number 9. capacitor is PC96 is connected to it through ground. 100P/NPO/50V_6

acer 5920

dunno if the same with 5920g

regards
                                      Can you point where PC96 is located?

front
                                      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15802004/DSC00287.JPG
                                      back
                                      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15802004/DSC00295.JPG

I removed PC112, PC118, PC90 and they are all ok, ac adapter still blinks
                                      Last edited by nadabro; 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

kindly take a picture of the whole motherboard. top and bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by fddizon View Post
                                          kindly take a picture of the whole motherboard. top and bottom.
                                          Here it is:
                                          front:
                                          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15802004/DSC00301.JPG

back
                                          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15802004/DSC00303.JPG

If you wish i can try to get better resolution images tomorrow, its a bit tricky to photograph circuits in the night.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X