Westinghouse TW-62401-U046A right half led bank shorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse TW-62401-U046A right half led bank shorted

Any body know where I can buy the right side led array for this TV? There is probably only 1 shorted led but they are small and mounted on an aluminum angle bracket/ heat sink that should be bigger, this is not the first... I got lucky w a 42in Westinghouse and found a broken screen tv on ebay for $75 free shipping, no luck this time. Thought someone on here might know where I can get this part.

Thanks...

Re: Westinghouse TW-62401-U046A right half led bank shorted

Originally this set had no power, or less than a volt...

With both led ribbon cables plugged in to the inverter this set won't power up and it shuts down the source 19volts at the plug on the main board. So I unplugged the backlight array and bingo I got power and the tv powers up. 1 at a time I plug them in and found that if I leave "con11" upper left corner on the board unplugged I can see half the screen briefly and then sometimes I can get it to stay on. So I ran the good led bank on both sides to verify both led driver chips are working. So that's how I know I need a right side led array.
    Attached Files

Comment

I just found the 42in led array that I replaced and I'm wondering if the individual shorted led could be replaced from the spare 42in set of leds?

How successful do you think taking a good one from the pictured 42inch leds and using it to replace the shorted led or leds in the 46in Westinghouse I'm working on?

I would appreciate opinions and thanks for your help/ opinions
      Attached Files

Comment

The LEDs are in series on most LED strips I've encountered, so a shorted one shouldn't really matter. How/where are you finding a short?
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Its not that I actually found a shorted one, rather when the right bank is plugged in it drops the source B+ 19volts to zero not allowing the tv to come on. So by example it has to be shorted, or something from the ribbon cable into the leds is shorted.
          Last edited by high-tech; 08-31-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Or perhaps some part of the main board is shorted, which is being conducted thru the LED strip?

If you have a decent multimeter, the diode test mode can be used to check the LEDs. Just put the probes across the LED and it should light up, it might even show the voltage drop across the LED. I know it at least works with my B+K 2709B and with Fluke 87.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I ran both sides of the inverter with the good set of leds "LEFT HALF" and the tv powers up with half the screen lit when plugged in to either of the inverter connectors.

Comment

OK. So it's probably short, but nothing like checking... Any chance you have a current limited power supply capable of around 100V? (Probably not, but it's worth a shot...)

Comment

I don't have one, I been playing with the 42in leds and its main board and I found there are 16 leds to a circuit and its running at 53 volts.

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with the main board because I ran both sides of the inverter one at a time with the good leds and it works and stays on running the no signal box around the screen.

Comment

Did you try using your meter to test the LEDs? You might also be able to use a CR2032 coin cell to do the same job.

Comment

I don't have the screen apart yet, the pictures of the leds were out of a 42 inch Westinghouse. I think I can test each circuit on the pins next to the inverter connectors... I'll try that, I got the tv put up and working on another. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by high-tech View Post
                          I don't have the screen apart yet, the pictures of the leds were out of a 42 inch Westinghouse. I think I can test each circuit on the pins next to the inverter connectors... I'll try that, I got the tv put up and working on another. Maybe tomorrow morning.
                          you may have a shorted out ribbon cable, I have an Westinghouse LD-4655VX and Its will power on with on if I unplug the left LED flat cable. after reading the post below, I had to disassemble the LCD screen and I found the bad flat ribbon cable, the contact was touching the metal frame of the LCD screen. I order an replacement cable.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=LD-4655VX

ecking767

Comment

I don't know where to get these led ribbon cables. Anybody know???

Well I got around to taking apart the screen and the right cable is shorted where it plugs into the leds. This design sucks because the cable makes a 3/4 wrap around the aluminum bracket the leds are mounted on so that the cables would lay flat on the inside of the panel. I think the cables should directly exit the panel where they plug in to the led arrays to avoid the heat that is melting these cables!

Comment

Check this thread. Shovenose said he had some extra. Not sure if he still does. I believe they are probably the same as yours.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=22932&page=5

Here's his post where he mentioned it to me but I had already ordered some.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=100

Comment

Originally posted by aaronwt6 View Post
                                Check this thread. Shovenose said he had some extra. Not sure if he still does. I believe they are probably the same as yours.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=22932&page=5

Here's his post where he mentioned it to me but I had already ordered some.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=100
                                those cables are not the correct ones for this tv. The connection terminals are on opposite side of the cables, in other words they are reverse on one end of the cable.

So I'm still looking for 12 pin AWM 20890 105c VW-1 with terminals on opposite sides of the cables
                                Last edited by high-tech; 09-05-2013, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecking767 View Post
                                  you may have a shorted out ribbon cable, I have an Westinghouse LD-4655VX and Its will power on with on if I unplug the left LED flat cable. after reading the post below, I had to disassemble the LCD screen and I found the bad flat ribbon cable, the contact was touching the metal frame of the LCD screen. I order an replacement cable.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=LD-4655VX

ecking767
                                  I did find bad cables, they make a wrap around the end of the leds and that melts the plastic and it shorted.

Comment

I did find bad cables, they make a wrap around the end of the leds and that melts the plastic and it shorted.
                                    It seen to be a common failure, I order my cable from eBay and it coming from Bangkok, Thailand. You need to confirm your cable type or check what written on the cable itself and order an replacement. Below is what I order.

12 PIN -L 800mm AWM 20798 80C 60V RIBBON CABLE 0.50 mm pitch 12PIN 80cm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-PIN-L-800...item4ac749838a

Also you should confirm that LED stripe with the bad cable is working correctly by using the good cable.

ecking767
                                    Last edited by ecking767; 09-05-2013, 09:14 AM.

Comment

those cables are not the correct ones for this tv. The connection terminals are on opposite side of the cables, in other words they are reverse on one end of the cable.

So I'm still looking for 12 pin AWM 20890 105c VW-1 with terminals on opposite sides of the cables

They do work. The connectors on the LED strips hook around the top of the cable so you just insert that end of the ribbon cable with the contacts facing up.

Comment

I have the same problem right bank of LEDs with a shorted ribbon cable. I have yet to look closely at it, but don't the connectors on the board pierce the cable to make the connection. (I'm not certain, it was what I was told and it seems logical). The side on the circuit board has a flap that flips down on the cable. I'm not so sure about the led side. Any if that's true could one buy some generic cable with a higher temp rating. At the same time 105c seems like it should be enough. Or is it a problem with a bad connector, undersized wire causing heat? I would like to "fix" this not just repair it. I don't know I'm new to all this. Not even sure I can buy generic cable in a shot length or how it's rated/categorized to buy something else. I guess I'll be reading more. Almost thru "All About Circuits" dc volume

Comment

Working...
                                        X