Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus boards with 8-phase VRM

http://event.asus.com/2005/mb/ailife_ge/index.htm

Found this when looking for drivers for a wireless network card.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Asus boards with 8-phase VRM

Multi-phase and digital is where they are heading on both Intel and AMD boards...
    Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

well its gonna be the norm anyway with the way the procs are going. asus hits the right buttons with their presentation, yes passive cooling stock please, looks good, optional fan for the overclock kiddies, ok better sli for those who can afford. nice sata connector at rear ports...i could use that. is it gonna be powered? what about the caps on the board?
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

The higher end Asus tend to use all Japanese/USA caps from what I've seen.
        Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Trodas will love this baby!
          Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
          Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
          160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
          160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
          Samsung 18x DVD writer
          Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
          33 way card reader
          Windows XP Pro SP3
          Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
          17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
          HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

I do like the passive cooling for the VRM and chipset, though i wonder why they have each part of the chipset having a heatpipe that goes to one "set" of 4 VRM phases. Seems to me that VRM's typically run hotter than chipsets, especially if a LGA775 Prescott is involved. ;-) Would 8 phase even really be all that much smoother than 4 or 6 phase, since it has plenty of VR output capacitance anyway?? I mean you do have to pay for more inductors and MOSFET's, but less capacitance.. Nice to see they're using Oscon's for Vcore..

I consider it a "worthy" board, and i honestly hope other manufacturers make passive chipset and VRM cooling standard.. I HATE whiny 40mm fans...

If the fan cooler on my new Epox board even makes a hint of groveling or growling, it's gone.. THere's an 80mm fan on the side panel that usually cools a video card on a PCI/AGP type board, but with my PCI express card being in the 4th slot down, it doesn't cool the vidcard well, though the chipset is conveniently right in line with it, so a passive sink will probably keep it cool to the touch.

Comment

With more phases, the MOSFETs will hopefully run cooler.
              I have those small fans too - they always fail soon.

Comment

Yep, I love the fanles design. Very nice and interesting, tough I see only SIX phases on the mobo, not EIGHT

There is only 6 coils visible = 6 phases.

Futhermore I'm not big intel fan, but certainly things are slowly moving towards more quality stuff, witch is good

PS. maybe the last two phases are hidden in the smaller heatsink in the pic on front of us? It is possible, yet bigger and more revealing pic are need...
                "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

It should be 8 phase as stated " 8-phase Power Design".

It willawake you the gamers ?

With the high price, I willasleep though.

Comment

I think this is a cool board for high relibility or extreme gamers. The more phase, the faster is the regulation of the vrm unit to transients. So no big o/p bulk capacitance nor the lowest posible ESR is needed for the vrm. And the PSU won`t be stressed that mutch like some 2 phase vrm will do.
                    So in any case, even normal caps would be used, they will live mutch longer due to severely reduced stress.

Comment

Working...
                    X