Computer fan noise and maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer fan noise and maintenance

^ What a treadmilll uses could depend on the manufacturer and where it is used. If it is in a gear housing then it's probably 85W petroleum gear oil. That would work, but won't as readily soak into the porous bearing.

Silicone oil is rarely used for lubrication except where petroleum oil would break down components or in an extremely high temperature environment where it better retains its viscosity.

Comment

Here it is.

I think it is silicon based. What is your opinion?
      Attached Files

Comment

^ Based on (lack of) color it does look like it may be silicone based, but I can't read the text on the tube. Where is it used, which specific parts of the treadmill?

I wouldn't use it on fans, but in an emergency it might keep one running.

Comment

My favorite for fans is Tri-Flow, it's brought a lot of seized fans back to life too

Comment

Ah, I wish I'd found this thread a while back when I was researching grease.

So far, I have some of the ol' PTFE Super Lube for plastic gears, and plastic/metal lubrication, and some Wal*mart stuff - Supertech "Moly-Lithium" grease (which reportedly has very little Moly at all).

What I'd like to know about are worm gears - it seems to me that these parts are likely to experience some wear that could be prevented with the moly-additive grease. I just put a little on the worm gear of a floppy drive, which I hope is best for the job. I've also got some worm gears for optical drives that I'd like to lubricate. In both cases I want to avoid using a too-heavy grease so that the drives don't seize (but that's probably not a major concern with worm gears after all).

Comment

For worm gears in optical drives, you're supposed to use lithium grease... I know this because there was discussion about it years ago with regards to certain xbox360 drives...
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

There are a few potential wrinkles here:

- Some worm gears are brass, some are something like brass-plated steel, others are steel or some other shiny metal...

- There's also additives to consider...molybdenum is the most common one.

In some cases the chemistry of things matter - but I haven't found any record of lithium, or lithium with molybdenum, causing problems in commonly used metal worm gears.

The synthetic silicone stuff seems pretty good and versatile - it's just an open question (for me) as to whether it competes in this application, even with the PTFE additive.

As an aside, the Wiki reports that there are some PTFE (Teflon, Syncolon) types being produced now which also have molybdenum for extra lubrication.

This is really promising, too: "By current calculations, a switched-off molybdenum disulfide transistor would consume even as little as several hundred thousand times less energy than a silicon transistor." - R&D Mag

Comment

I think there is a lack of concern in this thread as to the comparability of lubricants with non-ferrous metals. Transmission and gear oils are good because they are meant to protect and prolong use of non-ferrous metals, especially brass and other yellow metals. There is an exception however, as specs such as GL5 call for extreme pressure additives, which have the unfortunate effect of degrading yellow metals

To reiterate what I've posted, before I have always used Dexron III and never had to relube afterwards.
                  Last edited by Logistics; 04-14-2014, 03:05 PM.
                  Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

What about this oil type? I bought it today for 2.5euros. Is it the suitable for fan bearings?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like seweing machine oil type (unlikely that it is genuine "Singer" like the seweing machine brand, but anyways). If so, it will probably do fine. Sewing machine oil tends to be a bit more runny, but it doesn't dry and (at least IMO) it works fine.

Comment

Yup. I've un-stuck and lubed a few fans with sewing machine oil before. I usually use chainsaw lubricant, which is just a bit thicker, but that works fine too.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thanks a lot for the input!

Comment

Here's what I use.

Even those fans with that chunky, pasty, "gloppy" grease, salvaged from junked Deers (or cheap cases), run for years with this, after a full disassembly/clean/relube.
                            Attached Files
                            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                            Originally posted by shango066
                            All style and no substance.
                            Originally posted by smashstuff30
                            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Cleaning for the electronics/bearings-HPI Racing Nitro Car Cleaner.Does ok on plastics,its safe.
                              http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXN287
                              Cleaning for the fan,plastics in general:Plexus.It cleans,polishes,& leaves a dry protective layer
                              http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html
                              Lube for the shaft & main center piece(what holds the bearings):
                              Plexus if the main center piece is plastic.
                              LPS force 842 (dry moly)
                              http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/570
                              Jet lube moly mist(dry moly)
                              http://www.jetlube.com/MOLY-MIST-Aerosol-P754C118.aspx
                              RZ-50(dry PTFE)
                              http://www.rz-50.com/
                              Bearing lube:
                              Acer racing SIN synthetic lube
                              http://www.acerracing.com/ball_beari...il-967-70.html
                              Boca LBT Lightning Lube high speed (viscosity of 1875/9CS)
                              http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...lightning-lube
                              Hedgehog Alchemy oil ultra light/low viscosity
                              http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/772

I have not used most of these products but know many who have.Best ball bearings are silicon nitride(si3n4).Can most likely upgrade your fans bearings to them if you want.

Comment

I wonder if RZ-50 can be used on laser printer drums instead of methuselah powder.
                                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Here's what Powmax uses:

Comment

^

Sounds about right, actually. The same could probably be said of Ruilian Science.
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^
                                      I think Globe fans mix some of that with their oil too, cause they get stuck way too often.

I just found a (nearly) empty bottle of motor oil (new) in the garbage room at the condo I live at for college. There's probably just a few grams worth of oil left in there... but good enough for a lifetime fan repair. Oh yeah, it's synthetic too. 5W30 or something like that IIRC.

Comment

my system is nothing special. i use a Icute 750w modular PSU. This has a very quiet fan.
                                        in my case i have a pair of arctic cooling 120mm case fans. these are fitted using rubber mountings to stop the case vibrating. i also run them at 7 volts using an inline resister between the fan and board connectors. when it comes to cleaning them i use a half inch paintbrush with the bristles cut to half the length. i have never needed to lubricate them in the 5 years they have been in the case and they are still extremely quiet.
                                        My CPU fan is an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 Mk2. the 90mm fan is rubber mounted as standard and even at full speed the fan noise is acceptably quiet but at the lower settings which i tend to use the fan is hardly audible.
                                        if i ever need to lubricate a fan i use a special oil used to tune high speed multiplier fishing reels which spin at speeds in excess of 200.000rpm (yes you have read right) during tournament casting. the oil is called TG'S rocket fuel. you should be able to get it from most UK angling shops or ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TGs-Rocket...-/130820196698.
                                        I use the red grade but red or tournament grade will do the job

Comment

Recently, picked up a Thermaltake A4021 for $5, and it was obvious the bearing was dry. Apparently, these were notorious for not lasting, very long at all. I chalk it up to inappropriate lubricant. I cleaned the bearing with alcohol and relubed it with Redline CV2, and it's flawless... and will probably last, forever.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Working...
                                          X