RF Switch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RF Switch!

I've often wanted a way to do something similar. In an ideal world there would be a reasonable priced remodulator to move the channel 3 signal to another carrier then you could combine them easily. Not all that different than what cable companies do to put a single digital premium channel like HBO in the the analog channel plan for hotels.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
      today i dicovered that this video switch also does Rf conversion,i though it did not work i was using a rf converter connected to it.
      That isn't a basic switch as you said you were looking for.
      Nor is it what I suggested to modify.
      You could still achieve what you actually asked for with that by bypassing or removing the modulation circuitry.
      Basically gut it except for the switch board and install your RF connectors.
      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 01-23-2012, 06:48 AM.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        You could still achieve what you actually asked for with that by bypassing or removing the modulation circuitry.
        It's not what i wanted but I'm better off with this one than before cause i can add 1 VCR RCA, my FTA\OTA HD satellite RCA inputs, 1 pc RCA inputs and 1 of the 2 sat RF inputs coming from downstairs connected to where it says Antenna in,of course have to push buttons,the rest i keep a 3 way SW to change between OTA Analog that i have in other room coming to where i have the Signal amp and distribution Switch and other inputs,and this confusing set up will work much better. thanks for all of you that tried to help.

Comment

Originally posted by adrianl View Post
          I've often wanted a way to do something similar. In an ideal world there would be a reasonable priced remodulator to move the channel 3 signal to another carrier then you could combine them easily. Not all that different than what cable companies do to put a single digital premium channel like HBO in the the analog channel plan for hotels.
          You are basically describing an RF demodulator. One that takes an RF channel and converts it to composite + L/R audio output.

http://www.smarthome.com/77605/Multi-Channel-Tuner-Demodulator-NM-Tuner/p.aspx

Or an old VCR could do essentially the same thing. Then you can take the signal and feed it back into whatever.

Comment

It's better to just start with line level signals and modulate them wherever you want them.

That's a sloppy, roundabout way to do things. Use a cable box w/o line outs, take it's RF output, demod/remod it. Depending on the rolloff of the mod and demod, you'll lose sharpness.
            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
            Originally posted by shango066
            All style and no substance.
            Originally posted by smashstuff30
            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
              It's better to just start with line level signals and modulate them wherever you want them.

That's a sloppy, roundabout way to do things. Use a cable box w/o line outs, take it's RF output, demod/remod it. Depending on the rolloff of the mod and demod, you'll lose sharpness.
              I never said it was the best way. Only that it is possible/the product exists. That seems to be the theme in this thread anyway.

Comment

When you're all done you discover this plan is a PITA because when you want to switch inputs on one of the TV's you have to go to another room.
                Also everyone has to watch the same thing.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
                  You are basically describing an RF demodulator. One that takes an RF channel and converts it to composite + L/R audio output.

http://www.smarthome.com/77605/Multi-Channel-Tuner-Demodulator-NM-Tuner/p.aspx

Or an old VCR could do essentially the same thing. Then you can take the signal and feed it back into whatever.
                  This one is a RF demodulator that converts RCA and S Video to Coaxial RF and also have one RF antenna in and one RF out to TV.
                  i know that's not the best setup but i don't want to loose RF quality for the money it's the best i can come up with and there is better but costs much money

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18544

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                    Why should i remove the modulation circuit? i can connect at least five RCA or S Video and one Coaxial RF cable and send all to one cable to the amp then to all other TVs with no expense at all of course I'd like something like some people sugested professional demodulator, but the set up will cost about 300 ucks,when i asked for your opinion or advise i did not know that this RF a manual demodulator that i put up pic of, in the previous post was working, i was using it as more of a RCA,and Svideo to connect 1 sat and the Laptop RCA out to other tvs in the house, i got this manual modulator in the flee market for 5 bucks with no transformer i had to get a 6dc tran.and change the 6 volt input connector on the back cause there was no transformer with that so small output connector.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
                      Why should i remove the modulation circuit?
                      To make it an RF Switch -- which is what you originally asked for and the title of the thread.
                      That Modulator is probably PAL or NTSC and good for nothing else.
                      [That's why the newer ones cost more money.]
                      You''l be fine as long as all your stuff is old and works at that level.

Good quality, you probably won't have it.
                      Those things are for a TV right next to them and they rarely put out enough power to run a whole house distribution with multiple sets.
                      - An amp and filters should still be used for the remote TVs but attaching the local TV right off the amp might overload that TV's RF amp.
                      Use the filters anyway.
                      You don't want reflected signals bouncing between the RF sections of the different TV's through your network.
                      Frankly you'd be better off sending everything [except satellite] to a PC [as a media server] and putting in local HTPC's [basic simple play-only versions] next to each TV.
                      At the very least the resulting wiring wouldn't be a rats nest. [sorry RD]

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

You're right all my stuff is still old i have a Sony Kv36HS500 and i love it,
                        Connected to it i Have Sat/OtaHDNFUSION receiver with outstanding HD pic.
                        also connected to the Sony Tv an A analog Sat with 36'' DISH with motor,a VCR, A DVD a Home theater system, also have 2 coaxial cables coming from downstairs from my brother in law Dish net. connected to the 2 Rf inputs.And from that on for the rest of the house have 10 RCA CTC series all analog but great Pic.

Comment

I still don't see why you wouldn't want a UHF modulator system on at least some of your sources. One of these bad boys would get you 3 in-house channels right off the bat:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Channel-...item1c23045dfc

So with two of these and two of the above demods for the E* rf feeds you could have all your sources on 6 in-house UHF channels that could be tuned independently on all of your 10 TVs downstream. I assume that you have all 10 already linked up with coax and a distro amp of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                          X