I'm thinking about getting a new iron.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about getting a new iron.

So I had a DC jack repair, but it was difficult removing the old jack. I couldn't do it with my 25w wellers pencil iron. Board dissipate my heat really well.
    I had to use a non-grounded made-in-china 40 watt iron I had laying around with a really BAD tip, I mean I think it had broken off and my dad used a bench grinder to it.

This is third time my wellers wasn't able to do the job.

So I think it's time to upgrade.

I really like my wellers EC3000 with an EC1301 iron attachment. Does fine with most stuff but sometimes I need a little more heat and quicker in-out before I start burning tracks off.

What would you guys recommend?

Also must have interchangeable tips and have a chisel/flatblade tip attachment.
    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM.

Re: I'm thinking about getting a new iron.

After browsing a lot EEVblog and other related sites for soldering station reviews, the impression I got is that Weller's quality control has gone down and that they're also no longer making some of the models themselves.
    People were simply no longer recommending them.

There's lots of people happy with the Hakko FX-888 and there's plenty of tips available for it ... the station itself is a 65w one so it should be quite an upgrade.

I didn't test it personally so I can't tell you how it works, but the Hakko 936 I have works quite well on the motherboards I used it on.

Comment

I consider a Hakko 808 and an SMD hot air gun for heat assist the minimum requirements for laptop jack replacement. I would just cut the old jack off and remove it bit by bit if only lesser tools were available. I used to rock the 3 and 4 pin models out with a soldering iron but it does too much damage to the board.
      sig files are for morons

Comment

Why does 888 look like a toy and 936 looks like what a professional would use, and 808 looks like something out of Buck Rogers?

That's just me, sorry I'm nit-picking here.

Originally posted by severach View Post
        I consider a Hakko 808 and an SMD hot air gun for heat assist the minimum requirements for laptop jack replacement. I would just cut the old jack off and remove it bit by bit if only lesser tools were available. I used to rock the 3 and 4 pin models out with a soldering iron but it does too much damage to the board.
        That's pretty much what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
          Why does 888 look like a toy and 936 looks like what a professional would use
          Because it does.

I think the 888 looks a bit stupid as well. I much prefer the industrial-looking and square styling of the 936.

That said, functionality is king so if it's a good piece of hardware, I'm happy to put up with a weird look.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

For motherboards and other tough jobs go get a $4 harbor freight 30 watt iron and some proper gauge solid grounding wire IIRC I think its 6 gauge, might be 4... then chop up the wire into appropriate lengths, file them to a nice point, and when your ready to get some caps off use a propane torch to heat the tip till you see green flames from the copper. Use a little flux and just touch, rock, and pull... of course if the leads are bent hit it with braid first, sans torch, and then bend the leads straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
              Why does 888 look like a toy and 936 looks like what a professional would use, and 808 looks like something out of Buck Rogers?
              The professional-looking not toy-like 936:

Comment

what....were....they....thinking
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/kada-93...c-1874?item=22

This is a great hakko imitation with digital temperature control. The tips are interchangeable with hakko parts.

It works quite well (I have it personally for about 6 months), and the price is very good and includes shipping. Only downside as with all DealExtreme products is very long shipping time.

Edit:

If you'd like a less Chinese product with support / warranty you can get a similar station from SparkFun (even branded!): http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10707

However it is analog and not digital temperature controlled, and the price does not include shipping (but they are located in the USA, so shipping would be faster).
                  Last edited by LosNir; 05-17-2012, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LosNir View Post
                    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/kada-93...c-1874?item=22

This is a great hakko imitation with digital temperature control. The tips are interchangeable with hakko parts.

It works quite well (I have it personally for about 6 months), and the price is very good and includes shipping. Only downside as with all DealExtreme products is very long shipping time.
                    Nice.. a 30W soldering station labeled as 60W lol
                    Read the comments on DX.. 24V 1.3A rated transformer

Comment

Also if I were to get a station like those above I would have one with dual with hot air capability... they don't cost that much more.

Comment

Any of them made in America?

Comment

well they're electronics, so, no
                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Maybe these? https://www.americanbeautytools.com/site/
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                            X