WD RE4 black edition HDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD RE4 black edition HDs

Is this good pick? I did look up on their claims and pleased to see this does have ramp parking.

Cheers, Wizard

Re: WD RE4 black edition HDs

yep

Comment

What do you need it for?
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

There is no WD RE4 Black.
        There is Black and there is RE4, but no RE4 Black.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Green = power conscious
          black = mid-range performance
          RE3/4 = higher performance (small server usually)
          Velociraptors = highest performance without 10000/15000 RPM SAS
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

RE = Raid Edition - It just accepts TLER commands and costs twice as much.

I'm not sure the Black Editions are any better than green/blue performance-wise, I think the claim is that they're enterprise-class - that is - that they are built sturdier.

A Caviar Blue that is packed well for shipping will last a lot longer than a Black Edition that's shipped poorly. Because f this, Black Editions do not have any less of a failure rate.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              Green = power conscious
              black = mid-range performance
              Velociraptors = highest performance without 10000/15000 RPM SAS
              Almost
              Green = power conscious
              Blue = mid-range
              Black = performance
              RE3/4 = RAID
              Velociraptors = high performance 10,000RPM

I'm wondering what Chartreuse and Mauve will be.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

reiterating bonez, blacks are performance and RE just allows for RAID.

Comment

I think it's stupid to price gouge for raid that exist on thousands of desktop boards. This is why I don't buy WD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                    I think it's stupid to price gouge for raid that exist on thousands of desktop boards. This is why I don't buy WD.
                    Oh you're so right.

Charging more for dual processors on the PCB is such a rip-off.

How those Pentium-D's workin' for ya?

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Anyone who uses onboard RAID for anything serious especially in Windows is insane.
                      Charging more for dual processors on the PCB is such a rip-off.
                      How those Pentium-D's workin' for ya?
                      Even those "JMB363" or those Highpoint or Promise 3rd party RAID chips on the motherboards cost a few pennies each for the manufacturers.

Pentium D -- I use it myself. The Unique was right. It is not faster than the 939 Athlon X2.

Comment

onboard raid scares me. LOL a pentium D can't compare to an Athlon x2, it's just the same thing as a dual-core P4

Comment

Athlon X2 had different core revisions. The early 939 X2s should be comparable to Pentium Ds because that's what Intel had competing with it at the time.

Comment

Desktop and high performance HD, I always put in very fast & responsive HDs.

I can get 500GB RE4 (that all I need, but have to order it in from same local store) for 80 or Hitachi 7200rpm 500GB or so, even 7K3000 series 2TB (available to buy locally). They handle the HDs rather well and I had no issues with all the HDs I had bought over the years from there.

Cheers, Wizard
                            Last edited by Wizard; 05-20-2011, 08:51 AM.

Comment

You're wasting your money with the RE4. I recommend Caviar Blue for standard Desktop use. And stay away from Seagate for now. Their older drives are built like tanks (I use a 7200.8 myself). Their newer stuff is trash.

Comment

Not blue. If I go with WD, I go with black due to Warranty 5 years, performance and hitachi 7K3000 2TB is 3 years warranty.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

TheTechGeek had 500gb RE3 drives on sale for $50 yesterday... guess I should've posted about it here
                                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I've actually never even tried on-board RAID.
                                    [Unless there was a discreet RAID chip on the board.]
                                    Always used a card even if the chipset supported RAID.

I don't trust the Blue or Green. Seen too many complaints.
                                    Currently use only the Black or RE.
                                    Although their older mid-range [like 160GB and smaller JB and BB] did pretty well by me.
                                    My setup for a while was 40GB 'BB's [mirrored] for the OS and 160GB or 250GB 'SB's [mirrored] for storage and back-ups.
                                    'SB's were the IDE RE series.
                                    Still have a bunch of those around. Some never got used.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                                      TheTechGeek had 500gb RE3 drives on sale for $50 yesterday... guess I should've posted about it here
                                      I buy 5 to 20 at a time and it generally works out to $35-$40/drive.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

My setup for a while was 40GB 'BB's [mirrored] for the OS and 160GB or 250GB 'SB's [mirrored] for storage and back-ups.
                                        'SB's were the IDE RE series.
                                        Those BBs were intolerable once the bearings started to whine... Even one that still functions well otherwise - and most of them do, they don't die often - I would never use just because of the annoying whine.

I don't remember anything about the "SB" series, but I don't see what the advantage would be since IIRC the BB/JB drives accepted SMART TLER commands just fine.

Comment

Working...
                                        X