Dell XPS 600 Mobo Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell XPS 600 Mobo Capacitors

Thanks for the help gents! I should be able to find a comparable coil with that. I know it's hit or miss, but my brother can't afford to replace his whole mobo right now (poor college student), so it's kind of this or bust.

Edit: It's pretty obvious from the arcing and scorch marks that it was the coil that bit it, and took the local caps with in. The MOSFETs still look good, but should I replace them anyways, just to be safe? It's mostly superficial damage to the PCB, not real scoring or pitting, just discoloration, so we will see if it works or not. Like you said, if the nVidia bit it, it will be moot, but let's cross our fingers on that!
    Last edited by GRSHOPR; 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I have only worked on maybe 150 of the XPS 600 and 700 destops and have since stopped repairing them but I only remember 1 for sure maybe there was 2 that the problem was with the chipset. Im going to say all were heat related (dirty inside, dead or caked up fans etc and caused things to fail) something like 30% had just bad caps, 30% had bad caps and bad fets, 20% had bad caps bad fets and bad coils, 15% had hosed CMOS (needed new battery/reflash or replacement chip) and the last 5% had dead slots ports chipsets etc.

Comment

Hmmm, the search for a replacement inductor is not going well. How specific do I need to be with the DCR and inductance?

Comment

Falco is the OEM supplier for the coils. I found all the data including inductor images and footprint specs via their site. Let me know if you get lost and I can hook you up with the datasheets.
          Last edited by Z28Rodeo; 04-23-2012, 09:39 PM. Reason: Wording may have come across as vendor/solicitor
          - Cor

Comment

Haha, yeah, I'm not having the best luck, and I'm so rusty on what is and isn't a flexible rating. If you could send me the data sheets or the link to a viable replacement.

Comment

Or just post a link to a viable replacement, that'd be even easier. Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. Need 2 capacitors and a coil. Here are the pictures. Does anyone want to take this one on for a fee. My wife wants this running again. I tried one store but they backed down partly due to the fact it is hard work taking out the motherboard but I am techie enough to do this part at least. Do the small black burn marks on the board mean this is futile?

Here are the pictures of the damage.

THANKS!!!

Attached Files

Comment

sometimes they survive, sometimes they don't. its a crap shoot with them...but the coil and all the caps around it must be replaced, including the little ones.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

It's a multi layered board so if no traces were burn't, which happens often with that much damage, its possable they will work after you replace everthing in that section. Like Topcat said its a crap shoot. I personally use to charge $100 for this type of repair attempt and offered no promise it can be fixed. I basiclly had to buy all the parts and do all the work and then test it. I no longer repair these but maybe someone else here will, just have to wait and see who responds.

Comment

mine went to a few months ago.
                      I asked a guy today at the local Elec store about parts, he can get the fet in, have Caps on hand.
                      I think im going to give it a try!
                      I getting a I5 or I7 soon!

To hell with over priced Dell crap!!

Comment

Originally posted by GRSHOPR View Post
                        Or just post a link to a viable replacement, that'd be even easier. Thanks.
                        My apologies for not responding sooner. For what it's worth, I was verifying a pinout online and randomly thought "did that guy figure the coils out on badcaps?" (Drum-roll...)

Series TTIB0704 & TTIC0704
                        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...b135c1a040.pdf
                        TTIB0704 Toroidal 7mm (this is the roaster)
                        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...06d746d1b1.pdf

Again sorry about the delay. I've got mine stripped right now adding a waterblock to the NB. You guys know how it is. Hope the info answers the eluding issue each of us have and/or are dealing with. Been through four of these boards so feel free to fire away any queries or confusions, happy to offer any oddball info I possess. Roast on my friends.
                        - Cor

Comment

It doesn't look like anyone is particularly interested in attempting this repair, so I guess I'll go ahead and attempt the repairs myself. Thanks for posting the information about the inductors, but what about the 8 caps and the two MOSFETs near the fried inductor? I know that I need to replace them, but does anyone know the specifications and where I should order them? I noticed there is no capacitor kit available for this motherboard. Any help obtaining the correct parts would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

The two large caps next to the coil are 6.3V 2700uF, not positive about the MOSFET's off top of my head. Topcat sells quality caps via Badcaps; Digi-Key or Mouser would be some places to look otherwise.
                            - Cor

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                              I though I would resurrect this thread since after 8 years of solid service my xps 600 also died today of the same issues (well, same caps, coil, fets) not necessarily the same root problem.
                              I'd like to try to fix it though.
                              Topcat can you put together a dell xps 600 package for me?
                              The 8 caps, the coil, and maybe the 2 fet's near them?

I have to say, I cleaned my 600 religiously all those 8 years and I firmly believe thats what kept it alive for so long.

Anyhow, anyone else since this thread had any luck with repair of the 600?

Thanks,
                              Last edited by test4echo; 04-23-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I have my credit card ready...lol
                                I just need to know if i can get the coil and fets as well. If not, i think i;ll just scrap it. To much of a pita to order or find the other parts.
                                I realize this is a caps site but, thinking you could do it.

Thanks,
                                Last edited by test4echo; 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I have an XPS 600, with high fan speed, POST light #4 on and Power light is amber. Checked caps and found two that usually are culprits on MOBO. Top of Caps are bulging slightly, so they are definitely gone.

I can't see their rating with the MOBO installed and would like to purchase them before I take out the board to save time and replace then in one shot.

Does anyone know their rating so I can order them before hand?

Comment

3300, 6.3v
                                    - Cor

Comment

Working...
                                    X