nVidia 7300GT AGP recap job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nVidia 7300GT AGP recap job

So I got this GPU with three blown Sacon FZ caps 1500uf 6.3v and I thought I'd post it here. I'm still having trouble finding replacement caps of the same specs and most probably they will be some cheapo low quality caps because I can't find find any good quality parts in my shithole of a country and paypal is not approved so no way ordering them from badcaps. Anyway even bad quality caps should hold for a while or maybe not??? Here are some pics from the GPU. I think the manufacturer is Inno3D but I'm not sure, there are no markings on the board itself. Sorry for the low light and bad quality pics. I'm not sure if the recap will work because according to the owner of the card the card worked for a few hours after the caps blew (he heard popping sounds coming from th case) and then the pc shut down completely. Since then the monitor would not display anything. Tell me what you think.

Attached Files
    Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Re: nVidia 7300GT AGP recap job

The manufacturer of the card doesn't really matter - cheaper video cards are using the original design made by nVidia.

I'd say it's worth trying to fix it - the video card was probably running until the capacitors broke for good by causing shorts or disabling the video card's "power system".

I see in one of your posts that you're from Macedonia - I'm living in Romania which is pretty close to you. I'm also going to have two monitors to repair this week so I'll probably place an order on http://uk.farnell.com/ for parts this week at that store .

If you're interested, I wouldn't mind buying what you need for you and re-mailing them to you at no extra cost, just 1-2$ for postage extra.

Comment

Thanks for the offered help man I really appreciate it but I have no way of transferring the money to you and the delivery would take too long. There's a word going around that on the 28th this month Macedonia will be approved by paypal and then I will be able to make purchases on my own YAY!! Anyway thanks again for the offer.

Comment

Sacon FZ 1500uf 6.3v = 1800mA ripple, 22mΩ esr

Panasonic FJ or Rubycon MCZ would make good replacements.

It should work once you recap; I had a 7600GS work for a few hours after I heard the caps blow.

Comment

Well Rubycon or Panasonic caps are not an option for me because there arent any in my country. The only and I really mean the only brand of capacitors I could find are Elite capacitors. I have already used them on 2 previous GPU recap jobs and so far they are doing ok but I don't know how long they will last.
          Here is the spec sheet
          http://chinsan.co.th/files/EB.pdf
          I'm willing to use them again since I've used them before and they gave me no grief so far.
          Here are some pics (again sorry about the quality)

I'm recapping the GPU tomorrow and I'll post some pics. Sure some of you guys will go crazy seeing some shitty caps going on the card but you gotta understand this is my only choice at the moment.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Koda View Post
            I'm recapping the GPU tomorrow and I'll post some pics. Sure some of you guys will go crazy seeing some shitty caps going on the card but you gotta understand this is my only choice at the moment.
            Hey, whatever works . A temporarily fixed video card is still much better than one that doesn't work at all.
            Spec-wise, those Elite EB are (more or less) equivalent to Panasonic FM, so they should be alright.

Comment

Elite have horrible reliability so keep an eye on them.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Ok so I recapped the card and it ran perfectly afterwards. Those elite caps seem to be doing an ok job. They were slightly warm to the touch while the card was working and 12 hours of intense GPU benchmarking did not reveal any problems. I will post some pics later on if I find the time.

Comment

Elite are horrible.
                  You should find replacements now and keep them handy.
                  You -will- be needing them.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

I'm quoting myself here:

Well Rubycon or Panasonic caps are not an option for me because there arent any in my country. The only and I really mean the only brand of capacitors I could find are Elite capacitors.
                    And as mentioned above Paypal will be approved in Macedonia on Sept. 28th, only then will I be able to purchase better caps. I have one customer that's running his 9300GS which had a blown FZ 1500uf which was also replaced by these same Elite caps. This was 3 months ago and he's had no complaints so far. I know Elite caps are not of the best quality but I figure they should be at least good for another year and a half or so...

Comment

I'm quoting myself here:

And as mentioned above Paypal will be approved in Macedonia on Sept. 28th, only then will I be able to purchase better caps. I have one customer that's running his 9300GS which had a blown FZ 1500uf which was also replaced by these same Elite caps. This was 3 months ago and he's had no complaints so far. I know Elite caps are not of the best quality but I figure they should be at least good for another year and a half or so...
                      Well they can't be any worse than the Sacon they replaced.

Comment

i have a nvidia geforce 7600 gs i got in 2007 has no bad caps at the moment.
                        My Computer.
                        AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                        Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                        Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                        500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                        1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                        2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                          Elite have horrible reliability so keep an eye on them.
                          In my experience, Elite aren't that bad actually - almost as reliable as Teapo, actually. Just keep them well-cooled and they will most likely be okay for quite a while. With that said, I wouldn't put them in a hot LCD monitor.

Funny, though, because my 17" Dell E173FPb is on its 5th year (or maybe 6th, I'm not sure) and is still going strong. I opened it a few months ago for cleaning, and none of the caps seemed bad (at least not visualy). All of them are Elite.

Also, I recently just fixed a 17" Dell E177FPb with a bad t-con board. That one had Elite EB caps as well and none seemed bad (and mind you, I got that monitor from a corporate place where it was working about 8 hours a day).
                          Before you ask - no I didn't replace the caps. Just fixed the t-con and closed it right back up.

Comment

In my experience some Elite series are closer to Fuhjyyu.
                            They don't last a year.
                            Others might not be that bad but I'm not going to chance having to take a screen apart or a system down again over 2 or 3 dollars in caps when I already have it apart.
                            Too much of a hassle.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Well I have also seen some LCD monitors using elite caps and they are working 4+ years without blown caps. Yes they aren't of the best quality but a replaced cap by my math should at least hold for another year. Anyway by then I will be getting more quality caps. The owner of the card knows the risk of using low quality caps on the card but its either that or throw the card away. What qould any of you do in the given situation? And btw three caps on a graphics card aren't that much of a hassle...
                              Last edited by Koda; 09-17-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Wait for good caps because if/when those Elites blow again they might take IC chips out with them.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Ok so I recapped the card and it ran perfectly afterwards. Those elite caps seem to be doing an ok job. They were slightly warm to the touch while the card was working and 12 hours of intense GPU benchmarking did not reveal any problems. I will post some pics later on if I find the time.
                                  Working card is better than nothing. Just one thing what i have noticed. This card fan and heatsink are very very dusty. Don't forget to clean it well. There is bad cooling of the chip and it heats up more area arround it when there is so many dust. It is also heating up your capacitors. As you should know hot capacitors dies faster.

Comment

Originally posted by lin4sm View Post
                                    Working card is better than nothing. Just one thing what i have noticed. This card fan and heatsink are very very dusty. Don't forget to clean it well. There is bad cooling of the chip and it heats up more area arround it when there is so many dust. It is also heating up your capacitors. As you should know hot capacitors dies faster.
                                    I already cleaned it and reapplied thermal paste. The card is well below 50*C under load now. The caps are only slightly warm to the touch so I think all is ok.

Comment

Working...
                                    X