• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at this - super tiny fans!!!

I was watching the EEVBlog when i noticed this on the side:

http://www.digikey.com/us/en/ph/Suno...yMiniFans.html
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dk...part=UF385-100

8x8x5mm, now that's a ridiculously tiny fan. And 14k RPM at 3 volts! Insane. I bet that thing flies if it's left on its own... But it sure doesn't come cheap. The slightly larger models are cheaper, say this: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dk...part=UF3C3-500 12x12x3mm. 16500 rpm. And a staggering... 0.2 CFM.

Can you say WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE ???
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Look at this - super tiny fans!!!

1 50.75000 50.75

Yea....at 50 bucks a piece, I'll run right out and buy a bunch of those....
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I have a few these of various tiny sizes and while they dont move alot of air sometimes just moving a little bit of air helps, esp when you are talking about a switch/router or nas that you cant live without.

Comment

hahaha. The 2nd one (the 12mm one) doesn't even mention the noise. I bet at 16k rpm it sounds like a 747 taking off. Erm, on 2nd thoughts, it must be even louder. The Rolls Royce RB211 only spins at just under 4k RPM at full throttle.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I had a tiny (well, not this tiny, i think it was 30x30x10mm) fan recovered from an old laptop. It originally ran at 5v. I ran it at 20v. It took off and started flying. Unfortunately it quickly got that familiar smell... so i stopped it as not to burn it. Still have it somewhere, not that i'd have any use for such a noisemaker.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Now stack about 100 of them on the heatsink of a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 Prescott and try to play Crysis without going deaf . Anyone?

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3
            I had a tiny (well, not this tiny, i think it was 30x30x10mm) fan recovered from an old laptop. It originally ran at 5v. I ran it at 20v. It took off and started flying.

I should try that too. I have a box full of old Pentium 2 laptops and I think 1 or 2 are not working.

Comment

I saw those things a while ago, but I can't remember where...

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              I had a tiny (well, not this tiny, i think it was 30x30x10mm) fan recovered from an old laptop. It originally ran at 5v. I ran it at 20v. It took off and started flying.
              Wow. I wish I was there to see that.
              Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
              I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                hahaha. The 2nd one (the 12mm one) doesn't even mention the noise. I bet at 16k rpm it sounds like a 747 taking off. Erm, on 2nd thoughts, it must be even louder. The Rolls Royce RB211 only spins at just under 4k RPM at full throttle.
                Not even close. It's rated at 17.3 dBA at .3 meter. That's well below whisper level.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

OK. I couldn't find any mention of the noise on the datasheet.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Generated noise is proportional with blade area in contact with moving air.
                    Because is that small, it will not move much air, so very little noise.
                    That Rolls Royce RB211 fan is moving slowly, but moves a lot more air through it, that's why is a lot louder. It has a diameter between 1.86 and 2.19 meter

Comment

I know, I was joking. (which is why the ). Of course a jet engine would be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                        Not even close. It's rated at 17.3 dBA at .3 meter. That's well below whisper level.
                        But it would still be like "wheeeeeee" when you do notice it. Not only the level but also the frequency matters... And small fans are likely to emit a high-pitched whine instead of just a buzz.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                          But it would still be like "wheeeeeee" when you do notice it. Not only the level but also the frequency matters... And small fans are likely to emit a high-pitched whine instead of just a buzz.
                          True. But consider the numbers. 30dBA is 'A whisper in a quiet library'. This is 17.1 dBA at 30 cm. And since the dBA scale is logarithmic, this would be less than half as loud. I think an approximate analogy would be a baby mosquito at arms length. Of course, at $50 each, you wouldn't want to swat one....

PlainBill
                          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

So far as I know, 3dB less is half the initial value.
                            17dB will be several waaaay less than 30dB ...

Comment

Mechanical mosquito.
                              Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X