Dropped Macbook pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped Macbook pro

As the title states, that's the problem I'm trying to fix. My friend dropped her Macbook Pro onto the floor while cleaning up. It was off at the time so the HDD is all good. Nothing wrong with it and works really well without a hitch... except there's a dent on the side. She wants it fixed... I think it can be fixed too, it's just a simple bend so I think a rubber mallet and a vice can straiten this back out again. Only problem... where are the service manuals for a Macbook Pro? I've worked on numerous laptops, but never a mac :S

And this is the bend...

Attached Files
    Last edited by stevo1210; 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Dropped Macbook pro

I doubt there is a service manual... and if there was, it would say "buy a new mac".

yeah, i'd carefully use a rubber mallet.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

im more concerned about cracking that aluminium whilst bending it back :S
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

http://www.ifixit.com/ seems to have the best mac disassembly instructions. You'll have to use the search to find the correct model by size and manufacture date. Fair warning - most macs are not built to come apart easily.

Comment

No AppleCare plan?
          veritas odium parit

Comment

And another detail I just remembered. Pay careful attention to the disassembly directions as to whether the various connectors that attach cables to the motherboard come off by sliding or lifting. I've broken more than one Mac connector that way, as how they come apart isn't always obvious from looking at the connector itself. Oh, and having obscure tri-wing screwdrivers helps.

Comment

Hi,I doubt that will work,if it doesn't,get another base on eBay and Ifixit is indeed your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                http://www.ifixit.com/ seems to have the best mac disassembly instructions. You'll have to use the search to find the correct model by size and manufacture date. Fair warning - most macs are not built to come apart easily.
                agreed.

not to be confused with this.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                  No AppleCare plan?
                  Wait. YES!

She said something about the Applecare plan today. This mac is still sitting on my desk right now... haven't been game enough to tamper with it or open it and what not.

Basically she said she wants me to make it look less damaged so she can shove it back at Apple and well you know the rest...

So what should I do? Get her to send it back to Apple? I honestly am scared of this thing... or tampering with it anyway. They seem too fragile for some reason when compared to the average Dell laptop and so on. :S

Comment

I looked at AppleCare for a neighbor's kid going off to college. Basically covers everything -EXCEPT- physical damage caused by drops, falls, kicks, etc.

For that, she would have to spend money on an extended warranty that offers Physical Damage Protection as an add-on. Square Trade is one and there are others out there. BUT, she would of had to buy that within 30 days of purchase.

So, if no extra warranty protection exists, she's up the creek without a paddle, so to speak.

If it works, I'd leave it alone. All you need to have happen is while trying to bend it back, have something go *snap* and it's all over.

I'm sure Apple would fix it, but I'd bet it's several hundred dollars to do so. Just the labor alone to get all the guts out and into a new case...

Toast
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Take some dry ice and that should snap it back into it's original form.

or

Take some small C-clamps and cut a piece of wood to fit in the hole and press it back into it's original form. Might take some time to do it. Slow and easy.

Comment

Once again, this is one of the many cases where women shouldn't be let anywhere near an expensive piece of engineering. (not trying to be sexist here!)

I think I'll try my best to bend this stupid thing back without having to take everything apart.

Comment

Working...
                        X