Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

linux nvidia drivers

Hello everyone!
    So, i installed linux mint 11 on two PCs...both with nVidia. (One integrated and one has PCI-Express)...
    Withthe stock drivers, the display resolution (1024x768 in this case) is fine.
    But then it says there are better nVidia 3D drivers available. They installed fine, but then after reboot my screen is stuck in 640x480!!!
    Is that because i need drivers for my monitor? Or what?
    Both computers had this problem...
    Thanks.
    Also, a recommendation on media center would be good

Ps: uninstalling the driver fixes the issue...but i want to use the driver!

Linux commands: i am good at it!
    Installing drivers: fail!

Re: linux nvidia drivers

I would uninstall the package with apt-get and then download the binary installer straight from nVidia's site.

I think the way to install them is to switch to a non GUI shell (CTRL-ALT-Fx - Any of the F keys), issue the command /etc/init.d gdm stop (I think there's a newer command they use now), and run the binary installer (sudo ../nvidia-driver-file).
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I'll try that. I actually can't use either of the computers right now, (most of my stuff is in moving boxes, and my garage workbench is piled with crap), but I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Comment

WAIT- I've seen this before. Easy fix.

go to a terminal and type "sudo nvidia-xconfig"

when that is done, then run "sudo nvidia-settings"

go to the 2nd tab, xserver display configuration, and change the resolution to what you want. then click "apply", and see if you like it. if not, change it again and hit "apply". Once you are done, click "save to X configuration file" and follow though the dialog boxes, selecting the default options.

that should fix it...
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Also, run lsmod and see if a module called "nouveau" is running. That's the open-source nVidia driver. You have to blacklist it.

Unfortunately driconfig didn't work with nVidia drivers the last time I checked. They said they were working on it, but who knows.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            Also, run lsmod and see if a module called "nouveau" is running. That's the open-source nVidia driver. You have to blacklist it.

Unfortunately driconfig didn't work with nVidia drivers the last time I checked. They said they were working on it, but who knows.
            Nouveau is automatically disabled when one installs the prop. driver... It is under fedora and I am pretty sure Ubuntu and mint are the same way.

Even in a failed install... I tried to make a fx5200 fly but even the 173 driver failed and sent me to vesa, not nouveau (lsmod confirmed). I went back to nouveau since for what I wanted it worked better (nouveay has 3d support and is gnome-shell compatible)
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah but I thought the stock driver has no 3D/or 2D acceleration support either!!! That's why I updgraded to the real nVidia driver

Comment

Nouveau is automatically disabled when one installs the prop. driver... It is under fedora and I am pretty sure Ubuntu and mint are the same way
                Not that I remember.... At least this was around have a year ago with the 260 drivers. The driver even warns you that you have to do this yourself...

Maybe the newer ones do it automatically. Keep in mind, I wasn't refering to the Aptitude package, I was refering to the binary... If you're going to do it through aptitude, you may as well use a backport. Ubuntu repos usually have older versions.

Comment

Well, I'll check out the PC in 5 minutes or so (I dug out a monitor and keyboard and mouse) and see what I can do!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    Yeah but I thought the stock driver has no 3D/or 2D acceleration support either!!! That's why I updgraded to the real nVidia driver
                    it has support but it isn't as good... games that are 50fps under the prop. driver are choppy under nouveau... it is getting there but they haven't fully reverse engineered it yet.
                    sigpic

Comment

Let me explain the situation:
                      PC #1: HP with nVidia integrated into the motherboard. I want this one to work well and reliably, I don't care about performance all that much, since I'm going to sell it at a garage sale, and you can't do games on Linux esp. on integrated graphics...
                      PC #2: It's going to be my media PC in the new house. It's a p4HT 3GHz (socket 775) in a funky sideways case with an antec fanless PSU I stuck in there and a fanless nVidia AGP (not PCI-Express, I made a mistake) and DDR RAM...I want that to perform as well as possible, since I don't mind doing any hacks or tweaks.

Now, this all leads to me think, that I shouldn't bother with doing this on PC #1, but still try it on PC #2. BEcause if you're saying that the stock driver IS plenty good for general usage, if it ain't broke don't fix it :P

So, what do you think? I mean, I'm open to messign around, but I'm not going to bother if there's no point in doing so.

Comment

Might be due to your monitor not being detected as it should be. Some monitor report weird or bogus EDID information witch makes the driver confused. You can manually force settings for the monitor in question.

Especially TV sets are known to be less accurate in what EDID information they report. It have gotten better over time but it might just be your particular combo.

Comment

Tried it on both a generic 17" LCD TV/monitor that doesn't even have a model number, and a ViewSonic 15" LCD. neither of those worked.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            Let me explain the situation:
                            PC #1: HP with nVidia integrated into the motherboard. I want this one to work well and reliably, I don't care about performance all that much, since I'm going to sell it at a garage sale, and you can't do games on Linux esp. on integrated graphics...
                            PC #2: It's going to be my media PC in the new house. It's a p4HT 3GHz (socket 775) in a funky sideways case with an antec fanless PSU I stuck in there and a fanless nVidia AGP (not PCI-Express, I made a mistake) and DDR RAM...I want that to perform as well as possible, since I don't mind doing any hacks or tweaks.

Now, this all leads to me think, that I shouldn't bother with doing this on PC #1, but still try it on PC #2. BEcause if you're saying that the stock driver IS plenty good for general usage, if it ain't broke don't fix it :P

So, what do you think? I mean, I'm open to messign around, but I'm not going to bother if there's no point in doing so.
                            media pc--> windows? That's what I had to do with my main rig which doubles as a media pc... but my issues involved getting my digital tv tuner to play well with linux tv viewers... Somethings linux up well, such as my laptop, which has nvidia graphics, some do not. It all depends on the machine, it's purpose, and it's user.
                            sigpic

Comment

I want it to be a "media PC" without windows.

It doesn't have a TV Tuner card. I'm looking to:
                              -Play DVDs, CDs, etc.
                              -Internet Radio (pandora?)
                              -Internet TV

All from one software control panel with nice big buttons or something (you know what I mean?). Because It will be on a 17" TV from across the room and I will be using a wireless keyboard/trackpad and it probably won't be super accurate!

Of course, I could just use my Lenovo laptop to hook up wirelessly if i get one of those Netgear adapters you hook up to the TV and use Intel Wireless Display...but that's too expensive!

Comment

If his TV tuner works well with Linux (which some do) then I don' t see the need to change to windows. If his only issue is with the graphics being stuck at a low res with the proper driver, then Linux should be fine.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Ah. It looks like we both posted at the same time. Disregard my last post

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Ok

Comment

FWIW, I installed openSUSE (KDE) on an old Socket A machine with an nVidia FX5200 graphics card (which I'm posting from now). I didn't have any issues installing the nVidia drivers.

Comment

Working...
                                      X