UMC 32/188G Distorted Picture/Scanning Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UMC 32/188G Distorted Picture/Scanning Loop

Hi, I have a TV UMC 32/188G-GB-5B-TCU-UK that turns on but with a distorted picture and it continually loops in a scan as you can see from the picture.
    After searching the issue on the internet it appears to be a similar problem to other people with the same model TV and suggestions have been made that it is a result of a corrupt EEPROM.
    The main board I have is T.MSD306.69A.12023 which appears in many other makes and models of TV's with different screen sizes so is it possible to swap the board with a different make and model TV board?
    I did find a guy selling EEPROMs for this board but I don't know if its just a matter of replacing the EEPROM or if I have to access a service menu and change settings to match my particular Samsung LTA320AN12 panel.
    Obviously all the boards from the different makes and models have an EEPROM but have different panels fitted so how do I tell the EEPROM which panel I have or does the EEPROM detect the panel automatically?

Thanks for any help or advise
    Attached Files

Re: UMC 32/188G Distorted Picture/Scanning Loop

Hi Ohm Supplies have the eeprom that you need, go to there web site the part number is E2P123 lists as for UMC 32/188G fitted with LTA320AN12 panel, Andy does most of these Sky Media eeproms all ways best to look there first, and good discount for trade
    Flocko

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you think the EEPROM is the problem having looked at the picture I attached?
      I had a look at the website you suggested and have to say it seems very reasonably priced. Thanks for the advise!

Comment

I have one identical to this with identical fault....

Let us know what you find. I have not gone any further with this repair as the set isn't in great condition and is an oddball make anyway!
        TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
        http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
        PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I repaired a JMB set some time back same Sky Media crap with same fault you get the on screen count down then goes back to 1% over and over. Andy did not do the epprom for that as it had a built in dvd player, I got an eeprom from him for a model showing the same board and panel number but no dvd player, the set came out of standby and was working apart from the dvd, so had to get a new main board in the end. there is a post on here about it Flocko

Comment

I have the exact same issue as the OP. Could it really be the EEPROM? Please let me know how this repair goes.

Comment

Check my old posts for JMB 32/68g-gb-1b-tcdu or you could return the TV to Sky Media for repair and let them take £75 off you Flocko

Comment

Thanks flocko, that post was very useful, was your screen also distored?

Comment

I've ordered a new EEPROM from Ohm Supplies as recommended by flocko so hopefully in a few days I can let you know the results

Comment

The screen on the JBM looked the same as NipZ photo in post one ,there are lots of post on here for Sky Media crap most of the supermarket/ home shopping sets come from them and most at one stage will have this stuck in standby problem that I believe is caused by a small power surge when in standby, but if you ask them they do not believe there is a problem and in most cases do not have firmware uploads for the sets , but as said before they will offer to repair your set for you at a fixed cost that last year was £75?
                    Flocko

Comment

Thanks NIPz, look forward to hearing the result. Good luck. Although from what flocks is saying it definitely seems like it will fix the issue.

Comment

For those that were interested the EEPROM from Ohm Supplies fixed the issue and TV is working great!
                        Thank you flocko for recommending Ohm Supplies, the EEPROM cost £15+delivery+VAT=£22.74 and arrived next day after dispatch, so a great service.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the update, and well done for changing the eeprom not at all an easy task, And with a trade account would have been just under £10 all in if I remember correctly
                          Flocko

Comment

Great, glad to hear it worked, I got a bit lazy and ordered a new main board instead as it was only £3 more. That way I still have the old board for parts.

Should hopefully get mine installed this week.

Thanks for the update.

Comment

It would be great to get copies of the BIN files from these SPI flash devices for future reference. Next time I do one, I'll copy the flash.
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yes Tom that would be good but the trouble with that plan is getting one that works in the first place, and then not wiping out the files on the EEPROM trying to download them? Just give Andy a £10 for a new one he has done the hard work for us Flocko

Comment

It's easy enough to read them off without erasing them.
                                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I have the exact same problem and have just ordered an eeprom from ohms supplies. Thanks flocko!

Comment

I bet that come this time next year we will see a lot of the UK Black Friday sale sets on here with the same problems. So thanks Sky media, You know just how to build a set to work fine right up until the warranty runs out? but if asked they say that there no problem with them, and for £70 will repair any faulty set. If Andy is still on here he could give us the number of eeproms he sell for all the Sky media sets Flocko

Comment

So, the eeprom arrived from ohms supplies. After replacing it, the TV went to standby as normal and the back light booted up after pressing the pwr button.
                                        Nothing else though.
                                        The screen is blank. No other input works, menu, ch +, etc.
                                        The IC stamp is different on the BIOS replacement chip even though the replacement web pg states its for 32/188g-gb-5b-tcu-uk.
                                        Should I have specified flashing the BIOS as per board type?
                                        Any thoughts?
                                        Tom66, you mentioned reading the .bin files, is this easily done?

Comment

Working...
                                        X