Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI 6378v1

hey,

board just decided to stop booting altogether after a system freeze in outlook express.

the caps appear to be in good condition yet it is running teapo's which i would presume are likely to be bad. No bulge on top and none underneath that i can see... they are mounted reasonably high and don't quite sit flush on the board like the other caps on there so was wondering if they would likely be the cause?

any help appreciated.

cheers,

pud
    I love GSC.

Re: MSI 6378v1

Is there any power coming from the PSU? ie. are fans spinning, HDD's tracking etc.

When you say it stopped booting... does it even get to the POST screen?
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Re: MSI 6378v1

mate the thing powers up just fine... it's a case of lights on but nobody's home.

have done everything with it and changed the caps for the hell of it but still no juice so i ended up repairing a badcap biostar with the same chipset and replacing it with that.

writing the board off it's not worth my time!

cheers anyway bro.

Pud
      I love GSC.

Comment

Re: MSI 6378v3

I just fixed this exact same problem using a higher powered power supply.

The machine turns on but does not produce a video signal or any POST beeps.

I checked the PSU with a volt meter and all the rails checked out fine. In fact the machine ran for months/years with this PSU. The only voltage that was slightly off was the 12v rail at 11.68v. It was a Fortron/Sparkle PSU and had internal adjustments but I could not adjust the 12v better than where it was glued to begin with.

The old PSU was 'newer' in the sense it had a P4 connector and NO -5v white wire, but the PSU that ended up working with the board was simply a stronger PSU by 20watts and did have the white -5v wire, but no P4 connector.

So if anyone has the "lights on but no one home" scenario, try a different, much stronger PSU and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
        X