Emergency Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency Light

This emergency light started playing up this with red led on and emergency light showing for about a minute, strangely the battery seems fully charged and will come on but not for one hour.
    At this stage I am considering removing the batteries and using the light when I need it, the black and green wires are bridged in the photo and on removal the lamp comes on briefly, my question is what would be the easiest rout to bypass the emergency power down system but utilizing the ballast?
    Attached Files

Re: Emergency Light

"This emergency light started playing up"
    Cant say I am surprised according to the board its 14 years old!!
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Yes I guess the board has a few years over warranty although the battery and lamp are still in good shape. Could be the actual ballast is at fault here as most of the components seem to be working fine!

Comment

Not sure why you would say the battery is in good shape. If it lights but doesnt last an hour then probably one or more cells have gone - If it is 14 years old and a Nicd battery it may appear to charge up, might even show 12 volts but will discharge in a flash.
        I am not sure how you intend to use it?
        "At this stage I am considering removing the batteries and using the light when I need it"

If you remove the batteries and the "when you need it" is during a power out then its not going to work. If you mean you want to connect it to the mains to just use as a light then I think you will need a different transformer to power the inverter board.
        I cant tell but I suspect the existing circuitry will only supply a trickle charge to recharge the battery when power is restored and it may not be enough to power the inverter, though obviously you could try that.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Back in the loop! Yes you're right about the battery its on ots way out however it still holds a 6.7V charge and the light will stay on for ablout 5 minits, the charge voltage to the battery is 11.6V and what I was considering was to remove the battery and run the light as of when I needed it, this will require somer modification though or I should look for a new battery!

Comment

looks like 5 sub c cells.
            11.6 from the charger?
            sounds like a cheap dumb charger and cooked batteries to me.

Comment

Well its sorted now with a standard 220v ballast, no batteries and no dumb boards!

Comment

Working...
              X