e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

The shadow is on the right side as your facing it and we think is may be because TJ had us take out those 2 strips we carefully took the tape off of. I am TJ's sister by the way.

Comment

the strips are long and green

Comment

I am TJ's sister and the shadows are on the the whole right side as you are facing it. We are thinking it may be because TJ had us take out those 2 skinny green stripes that had to be carefully untapped. Also the tcon board looks warped that we received from Encompass

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
          Are the shadows visibly seen on a darker scene like a dark grey or brown? Do they go away on a brighter scene like a white background? Can you send a picture of the fault?
          Thanka man I'm going to havw her send you a pic- they ended up getting tied up

Comment

No problem. I'm curious to this. I believe this is another Vizio or shall I say sharp panel fault. Not related to the side drivers. You just happen to see what the picture look like before the failure of the side drive. I went to Walmart and Target where these TVs are still hanging on the wall and a couple of them I've seen have these visible dark shadows. I think this is a low-end sharp panel problem. I haven't seen them get worse or better they're just there and if it's something you can live with like I have on mine on the lower bottom section it seems to be there but it doesn't show up on scenes that are not dark. If you take a look at my original first few pictures that I posted you'll see the affected area on the grey Netflix screen. If it looks anything like that there's not much you can do.
            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Sorry double post. My phone was having a brain fart

Comment

I'm going to have her put in each board and take pictures of each one, have her send them to me and post them for her so we can see exactly whats going on. Thanks man

Comment

of course, not seeing the whole "conversation" but "2 green strips"... there are 5. Are they all removed?

Comment

Sorry double post. My phone was having a brain fart
                    Thank you very much for posting your experiences and deeply advise. I'm from Mazatlan Sinaloa Mexico and I just arrange a screen Vizio coinciding the same problems in these screens, in my case the problem was on the left side. The image is 100% natural. Thanks to all who participated in this post with their important contributions. blessings

Comment

Originally posted by maedi View Post
                      Thank you very much for posting your experiences and deeply advise. I'm from Mazatlan Sinaloa Mexico and I just arrange a screen Vizio coinciding the same problems in these screens, in my case the problem was on the left side. The image is 100% natural. Thanks to all who participated in this post with their important contributions. blessings

Good to hear. Congrats on the repair!

Comment

I've got this exact issue and understand fully what everyone is talking about. Before seeing this site, I had replaced the T-Con board and as soon as I powered on 'POP', I knew I blew it. So, I've got another coming but was wondering with this workaround, is there a way to tell which side may be causing the issue without having to guess and possibly blowing the T-Con board again? I have it all apart and awaiting the T-Con to come on Monday.

Comment

There is a workaround. It involves disconnecting both the bottom three quarter inch ribbon cables going to the bottom side driver boards on each side of the panel. Then leaving the two ribbon cables connected from the t-con to the panel go ahead and power up the TV. You probably will have some kind of picture but it'll be very dim with some dark lines going through it however you should be able to see something on the screen. At this point you know the panel is powering up and it is not blowing the T CON board. At this stage you can carefully remove the right and left side black bezel covers from the panel and carefully inspect each ribbon cable IC going from the side boards to the panel. If you see one IC that is dark kind of brownish in color around the perimeter of the actual IC embedded on the ribbon cable it should give you a pretty good idea of which one has gone bad. At this point you can connect the good side back up and a power on the TV. If you got it right and you eliminated the bad side you get a picture with one side being dark. If you get the picture then go ahead and remove the side you still have disconnected from the panel just pull all the driver boards and the ribbon cables off that side of the panel. Once you're done power back up and see if you have a good picture. This is a one shot deal and if you get the wrong side your panels toast

Comment

You said...."It involves disconnecting both the bottom three quarter inch ribbon cables going to the bottom side driver boards on each side of the panel. Then leaving the two ribbon cables connected from the t-con to the panel go ahead and power up the TV"

So, are you saying to disconnect on each lower (right and left) corners so that nothing is going 'up', just the lower driver boards are truly connected. Correct?

Comment

And fyi....very close physical inspection of both inside and out of the side driver boards shows no sign of short (brown, burnt, otherwise)...so I'm trying to not blow the next T-Con because it's more than 30yrs since I did any soldering. As you can imagine, I'd probably blow it even more. ;-)

Comment

you are not looking at / for the side driver boards... you need to look at the flex tab cables running from the side boards to the panel. Each cable has a tab driver bonded to it... it is this "thing" that "dies" in some form... you may see some form of "heat markings". Be careful though as the cables are "tender" and bonded to the panel. You are probably not going to be able to see them clear with taking off the bezel. Most people have found that the lower two are usually a problem.

Comment

Sweet welcome to the club! Glad to hear it

I'm trying to post my video of a successful repair from start to finish but youtubes being a bitch. ..

Newbie here, can't wait to see the video.

Comment

Here you all go! This is a repair on a Sony KDL-70r 550a model that someone brought to me for repair. This is using the failure -prone Sharp 70 inch LCD panel. The only difference between this panel and the Vizio model which also uses the Sharp 70 inch panel is this model is 3D. It doesn't play any difference on the design of the panel though. This was the second of this model TV that somebody had brought to me in a week. The first one that I tried to repair had vertical tab failure so it was inevitable useless. This one however had the same symptoms as that one shutting down with with a 5 blink code but as soon as I started unplugging one or the other side of the panel from the t-con board I knew exactly what I was in for and this is the result. After this video I have fixed another Sony of the same model for another customer and another Vizio. The other Sony was the left side driver boards instead of the right and the Visio I just repaired was the right side driver boards not the left so with this information either side can go bad so don't jump to conclusions right away before you do testing. The lucky thing about the Sonys and Sharp models is that they're OCP shut down doesn't destroy the t-con board like the Vizio does so it helps in the determining factors of trying to pinpoint your diagnosis without having an array of t-con boards on hand to get to your diagnosis like the Vizio. Unless you're handy with soldering to have an array of transistors ready to replace the original coxa that goes bad, you would have to be quick with the power cord if you don't get a picture right away on the Vizio and sometimes when you're lucky you will not blow up the tcon board by unplugging it before it does imminent failure to the COXA transistor on the board.

https://youtu.be/A9UaWnsF2Mg
                                    Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-29-2015, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I just read all of this thread and watched the video. Im so glad I came upon this forum site! Recently picked up a Vizio 701i-a3e and was just about to order a tcon board thinking it would solve the problem. Now im going to put new caps on power supply for 60 inch Samsung dlp to have tv while im rereading all of this knowing it is going to be a much slower process than expected for 70 inch vizio. I have one question for now. Is there any chance the transistor is not blown on the t-con? TV has been powered up many times checking different things.

Comment

So on the Vizio 701i-a3e can it be the left side or right side? If I inplug both sides and have some kind of pic I know my transistor and/or tcon is good? Have the Vizios you fixed both been on right side? Im sure I will have to order a transistor. So if tcon is good and have some kind of pic after unplugging both sides and I can not tell which side is the bad side by looking at it, then with the 701i-a3e vizio , I have a 50/50 shot at blowing the transistor. If the vizios u done or know of have been on right side then should that be the first side to check if I cant visually see anything? And by all means do not cut either side off until I know for sure and/or double check here???? Almost at end of my 12 hour shift but will be back here tonight. Thanks to all of you that have figured this out! I think its awesome yall found a fix!

Comment

Here you all go! This is a repair on a Sony KDL-70r 550a model that someone brought to me for repair. This is using the failure -prone Sharp 70 inch LCD panel. The only difference between this panel and the Vizio model which also uses the Sharp 70 inch panel is this model is 3D. It doesn't play any difference on the design of the panel though. This was the second of this model TV that somebody had brought to me in a week. The first one that I tried to repair had vertical tab failure so it was inevitable useless. This one however had the same symptoms as that one shutting down with with a 5 blink code but as soon as I started unplugging one or the other side of the panel from the t-con board I knew exactly what I was in for and this is the result. After this video I have fixed another Sony of the same model for another customer and another Vizio. The other Sony was the left side driver boards instead of the right and the Visio I just repaired was the right side driver boards not the left so with this information either side can go bad so don't jump to conclusions right away before you do testing. The lucky thing about the Sonys and Sharp models is that they're OCP shut down doesn't destroy the t-con board like the Vizio does so it helps in the determining factors of trying to pinpoint your diagnosis without having an array of t-con boards on hand to get to your diagnosis like the Vizio. Unless you're handy with soldering to have an array of transistors ready to replace the original coxa that goes bad, you would have to be quick with the power cord if you don't get a picture right away on the Vizio and sometimes when you're lucky you will not blow up the tcon board by unplugging it before it does imminent failure to the COXA transistor on the board.

https://youtu.be/A9UaWnsF2Mg
                                          great work.... funny in my search of failures, you don't see much mention of the sony (ie. large size) versus others... some but not as many... most have had better quality controls as they left the sharp factory... :-)

PS. I take it back... sony appears to have just as many issues BUT their "complaint" seem to be "shielded" a bit by the fact that sony has their own "community" site where there are lots of complaints but mostly get the "not in warranty response" which leaves those people with "curb side tvs"... :-( if they only knew that they may be able to get some "life" out of their sets. Of course, I suspect a "sony community" site is probably not going to receive a "save advice" readily.
                                          Last edited by budwich; 11-29-2015, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X