LG Plasma - Thin horizontal line flicker and mirror image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG Plasma - Thin horizontal line flicker and mirror image

I'm just not sure what else to do at this point. I can start the fault by playing with the OSD, rapidly changing the ISM method or the aspect size -> 16:9 -> Just Scan. Then the problem seems to carry over when I close the OSD.

However, today, I've been unable to get it to still happen outside of the OSD (yet).

The control board seems pretty inexpensize, I may try that as a last resort.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      OSD is all on the main board.
      There is a small but non zero chance that the control board is causing this issue.
      I've read multiple references now that the OSD is on the logic/control board. This would make sense also since the processing is done here.

Comment

The OSD is always (for an LG plasma) on the main A/V board, with HDMI etc on it.
        So, I think from your tests, you should replace the main A/V board, if the control board video is steady and without flicker.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

The OSD is always (for an LG plasma) on the main A/V board, with HDMI etc on it.
          So, I think from your tests, you should replace the main A/V board, if the control board video is steady and without flicker.
          I already tried replacing the main board though and it didn't resolve the issue. I think its worth a shot to replace the control board and see if that's it

Comment

Ah, I didn't see that post...
            It could be a control board fault... it's just less likely, as the only part of the control board that could be bad would be the input portion of that board (LVDS input)
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So after reading up some more I found a video from the shopjimmy site that discussed bad logic/control boards and common symptoms are inverted image and random horizontal lines. Those are my issues so I felt pretty good about this one! I've replaced the control board ($25) and could not reproduce the issue at all yesterday evening. I'm pretty confident this resolved the issue.

Hopefully this helps someone else!
              Last edited by JediL1C1OUS; 11-04-2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Glad to hear this. Interesting fault.

Comment

Glad to hear this. Interesting fault.
                  Thank you for taking the time to help and respond to my thread for this. Appreciate it!

Comment

By any chance do you have a link to that video?

Comment

By any chance do you have a link to that video?
                      Here. In the comments it highlights "Top Common Plasma TV problems for bad Main Logic CTRL Boards".

Comment

Looks like Y sus problem or screen. What kind of lines ? Non color could be y sus freq some times can be heard. Try the freeze check

Comment

Originally posted by charles frost View Post
                          Looks like Y sus problem or screen. What kind of lines ? Non color could be y sus freq some times can be heard. Try the freeze check
                          Problem was already resolved by replacing the Logic/Control board.

Comment

I believe I am having the same exact problem as Jed describes. I have an LG 50PK750 that is about 5 years old. I tried jumping the R51/R52 with a twisty tie as the smallest paper clip was too large to fit inside the holes. I am not seeing the TV go into the test mode, it seems to be operating exactly the same as before I tried jumping. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bizybone View Post
                              I believe I am having the same exact problem as Jed describes. I have an LG 50PK750 that is about 5 years old. I tried jumping the R51/R52 with a twisty tie as the smallest paper clip was too large to fit inside the holes. I am not seeing the TV go into the test mode, it seems to be operating exactly the same as before I tried jumping. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
                              Did you disconnect the LVDS as well....?
                              TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                              http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                              PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair E View Post
                                Did you disconnect the LVDS as well....?
                                I didn't disconnect anything, but the power and HDMI cable, I did however figure out how to do the jumper test and the wife told me the screen test looked fine, so I went ahead and ordered the Logic/Control board. I have installed the new Logic/Control board that I bought on shopjimmy but now nothing is coming on the screen. When I do the test now it still works fine. My questions are this. Did I get a bad card? Did I accidentally install it wrong, or is there something I need to do other than just replace it? Does the green flashing light on the card indicate anything? Thanks!

Comment

Did you order the exact same part, or just one SJ recommended as an alternative? EAX and EBR numbers must match in most cases.

Comment

Did you order the exact same part, or just one SJ recommended as an alternative? EAX and EBR numbers must match in most cases.
                                    Yes I did. I made absolute sure of that.

Comment

Any other ideas? Should I try replacing the old card to see if the screen at least comes back on? I tried not to rip any of he cables when I was replacing them and i thought I pushed the wires all the way in. Anyway i messed those steps up?

Comment

I've had more bad parts come from ShopJimmy than good parts.

Comment

Well I called shopjimmy and they said they will just ship me a replacement, so at least that's good.

Comment

Working...
                                          X