LG M3201C-BA Display Aberration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG M3201C-BA Display Aberration

I just got, and fixed, one of these 32" monitor/HDTV displays. Its power supply died after power to the building was shut off and turned on again. There were several caps in the power supply with bulged tops, so I replaced all of them (except the really big ones) with high-quality Panasonic and Nichicon caps.

The monitor would power up then, but I noticed a strange issue. There's an area in the lower right corner of the display that's a couple of inches up and in from the panel's edges and measures about 1-1/2 inches in diameter that is okay when the display is first powered on. After it's been on a minute or so the spot gets noticeably lighter, or brighter, than the surrounding area. This is most visible when the screen is displaying black. When this occurs I can display a full-screen source and the area looks fine; it displays any video I put on the monitor with no discoloration. There's also another area above this splotch and to the left that's more of a straight line about 1/2" wide and 1-1/2" long that appears lighter as well, but not to the degree of the splotch.
    After a couple of minutes the areas in question seem to disappear (or at least aren't as noticeable).

This monitor has two inverter boards, one each on the left and right sides of the display. Each board had three Rubycon electrolytic caps that looked fine, but I replaced them anyway. There was no change in the behavior.

There are six Samxon caps on the video board with two different values; I did not change these as they looked good.

This problem may, to some, seem to be no big deal but it bugs me. Has anyone else run into something like this before?
Working...
X