New Router, Small Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Router, Small Problem

Geez how much code is involved in saying "we have a request for address 'My-PC' let's check against our DHCP list and - oh we have a match for that here's the ip address we assigned based on that mac." Something doesn't add up.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      A quick search shows that both the above routers can run openwrt and possibly lede. openwrt -> lede, but now rumors they are going to merge back again later this year.

I normally go retrieve "old" routers if the person discarding is within 10 minutes of me and load openwrt/lede. I use them at home and give them away to friends and family to replace their old outdated router software.
      I looked up ddwrt for the E4200 when I first got it and only the v1 was hackable as it was Broadcom based and the v2 wasn't. Was my understanding the Asus is based on ddwrt or openwrt so no real reason to flash.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
        Geez how much code is involved in saying "we have a request for address 'My-PC' let's check against our DHCP list and - oh we have a match for that here's the ip address we assigned based on that mac." Something doesn't add up.
        Not a lot of code, but potential security problems with this type of DNS cache behaviour.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I looked up ddwrt for the E4200 when I first got it and only the v1 was hackable as it was Broadcom based and the v2 wasn't. Was my understanding the Asus is based on ddwrt or openwrt so no real reason to flash.
          The last time I ran dd-wrt was on some older Linksys WRT54G and dd-wrt was last updated back in Sept 2011? That is what lead me to openwrt and lede. I won't be running router code that is 6 years old.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Lede supports E4200 with 17.01.1 just released April 2017

https://lede-project.org/toh/start?d...del*~%5D=e4200

Same for Asus

https://lede-project.org/toh/start?d...l*~%5D=RT-N56u

So you can reuse these two routers with up to date code, security patches, etc from lede.

17.01.1 is what I run at home on my own router (a freebie deemed too old).
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 05-16-2017, 08:02 AM.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

These DNS entries were stored on the router itself ?
              YES, most modern routers act as a DNS relay server for your private network, which simplifies the configuration of the router for the ISP. But inherent in that service is the ability to collect the NETBIOS names of the computers on your network that get an IP address from the router and allow you to reference other machines by their NETBIOS name.

If you had Windows configured the same on all the windows computers, you wouldn't need DNS to do this for you as it would be handled via broadcast packets in the background of Windows.

I'm thinking its possible that you configured a domain name in your old router. Fire it up and look at the config ... most likely in the DHCP config page... look for a domain name ... if there is one there, then make sure the new router has that same domain name in it and things should start working as they did before ... but thats just a hunch on my part.

Mike

Comment

No DNS in local networks, unless there is a DNS server.
                You have to have running "Client for Microsoft networks" and enabled NETBIOS in order Windows computers to broadcast their names in the network. For your Linux computer, you must have SAMBA installed and configured.
                If something is not working properly, then blame your router. Are there any network filters enabled in the router configuration?
                Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Netbios name and DNS name are different entities and can even be different though not recommended.
                  Windows and other DHCP clients can send a name while requesting DHCP - in Windows case, it's the Netbios name. It's up to the DHCP server to configure the DNS cache of it requested name. This is not a feature all DHCP-DNS servers have.
                  Last edited by eccerr0r; 05-17-2017, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                    BTW, DNSMASQ, which is used on GPL firmware http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html supports "Type 1" so I suspect later versions of DD-WRT support this. The "importing names from the DHCP subsystem" is the feature that's wanted though how you configure this through the GUI is implementation specific...

And yes this runs on your router. So if you can't hack your router, no point in proceeding further with this...
                    Yep, DD-WRT has supported it a looong time.
                    See screenshot:
                    Attached Files
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                    X