This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

Do you mean the issues posted by madires here?
    http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgea...-project/2900/

Because I do have a 20Mhz crystal too, didn't make that clear I see now
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

no, the firmware i posted is not from madires - it's from karl heinze.
      completely different code.

Comment

Ok, I thought you had compiled madires firmware too, guess my memory played me a trick
        Gives me a good excuse to try it myself, might wait for the next release though as he mentioned a few caveats in the current build with the 20Mhz option...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

*if* you do that, put the crystal in a socket - or you will be stuck with madires firmware.

Comment

GM328x ESR tester (SVN684) - small fonts.zip
            Is there an easy way to change the operation of the rotary encoder, so that downwards movement through the menu corresponds with clockwise rotation? (rather than anti-clockwise)

Comment

set a flag in the makefile and rebuild the source.
              # the option CHANGE_ROTARY_DIRECTION changes the rotary direction by swap of switches
              CFLAGS += -DCHANGE_ROTARY_DIRECTION

Comment

Ok, i see that that code is already the makefile.
                How does one set this flag in the makefile?
                Do i need to download a compiler?
                Can it be done with windows XP and Codeblocks?

Comment

edit the makefile with any text editor, then compile it.
                  does codeblocks build AVR ?

Comment

What exactly needs to be added/changed in the makefile?
                    i really have no programming compiling skills except extremely basic stuff, that i've mostly forgotten.
                    Definitely don't know what a flag is.
                    Will AVRdude rebuild the source, and which one is the source file? Is it transistortester.h ?

Comment

updates - inc one for socketa
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thankyou very much
                        Works nicely (did you just comment out the flag?)
                        Noticed that ESR was not right after 1st calibration - but it came good after the 2nd calibration.

Comment

you put a hash in front of the line you want to disable.

Comment

Please find attached the most recent compiled version of the mega328_st7565_kit - Standard 8Mhz, English, v1.12k rev 700

I've had some fun this week learning how to use an Arduino to flash some blank chips, patience and more coffee got me there in the end I've tested various components, all seems fine.
                            Attached Files

Comment

mega328_st7565_kit - Standard 8Mhz, English, v1.12k rev 696
                              Attached Files

Comment

mega328_st7565_kit - Standard 8Mhz, English, v1.12k rev 696
                                This is better because you can put in whatever frequency you want.
                                But why's the text a mirror image, and also upside-down? (at least on this meter)
                                so i went to https://n2github/transistortester/tr...mega328_st7565 and programmed it with that.
                                Now it's looks good, except that there is only a third of the first character on each line, and it's only upside down and not mirror-imaged
                                Last edited by socketa; 12-17-2016, 09:04 PM.

Comment

You're having some problems? I didn't see anything flipped upside down text on mine, is that somewhere in the menu? I haven't looked at the freq counter on mine. I might potentially need to use a different tool chain as I've seen mentioned that the one shipped with winavr can cause troubles, this might be related!

Ignore the rev 700 i posted, I got the revision number wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by socketa View Post
                                    This is better because you can put in whatever frequency you want.
                                    But why's the text a mirror image, and also upside-down? (at least on this meter)
                                    you have a GM328 not an st7565_kit.
                                    different hardware needs different firmware.

Comment

I'll compile one for the GM328 when I get a moment tomorrow

Comment

you have a GM328 not an st7565_kit.
                                        different hardware needs different firmware.
                                        Yeah, the penny dropped just dropped a few minutes ago.
                                        The GM328 on that website works good but no rotary encoder/option. And i see that that's what you've enabled - but the frequency option has being restricted.
                                        Is it easy enough to recomple it, so that any frequency can be inputted?
                                        Last edited by socketa; 12-17-2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

the different frequency generator is intentional, the changed code is in my zips.
                                          the frequency code that you can allegedly input any frequency is very difficult to use.

@jondoe - use the makefiles from my zip - the regular one is pretty wrong.
                                          infact most of the makefiles on the SVN are only just working and need to be finetuned.

Comment

Working...
                                          X