Hp Compaq nc6230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hp Compaq nc6230

My Son bought a used laptop at the pawnshop yesterday. He got it on the cheap because the owner thought it was BIOS password protected. Well as it turns out it was only a software password. Now I've only removed passwords from my own old Lappy. It had BIOS, as well as harddrive passwords on it. What I should say here is that I spent two hours on the phone with Dell and they removed my passwords for me. Back to his now. The unit had Novella client over top of windows 2K on it. I got a progie online to change and or remove the Novella passwords. This didn't work so great as I was unable to change or remove anything from the Lappy. It did however show me the Bios setting...ect and there were no passwords in this area. Since Allen didn't want the Win 2k anyway I got an Xp Pro CD out and had at it. She's up and running fine now as and Xp Pro Laptop. The thing is that now I'm missing six or so drivers for things in the unit that windows cant even report what the things are in a way that would be useful to me. Downloaded about 18 drivers from the Hp site and fixed a few things. I got the ATI x300 video, the modem, blue tooth wireless, and sound working so far. I don't want to load a bunch of drivers into windows that don't go to anything in this Lappy. Do you think Everest will tell me anything meaningful if I run it on this Lappy? Hp has drive lists, and the recommended order of installs for many Lappy units on their site however I couldn't find a list for his nc6230. I can see that this little project for him is going to be a pain in the ass! This is why JP as a rule doesn't mess with any Lappy's! Now I have two of the freakin things here. The other one is a Junkshop Gateway Solo something or another. Its been dropped, and I don't think its worth messing with but the owner wants me to get a power brick for it and give it a try. The screen latch is busted so you have to open it with a knife. The floppy drive, and the palm reast are busted. Many screws are missing too. I have the lower case held together with magic black tape at the moment.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Hp Compaq nc6230

that's a nice lappy. i recently set up one of those for a friend of mine and yeah, it was a pain in the ass.
    had to look up a few drivers manually (via VID and PID) but got it all working in the end.
    what drivers are still missing? maybe i still have them somewhere.
    does yours have the fingerprint reader? that one was particularly nasty to set up.

EDIT: found the drivers for the card reader and gigabit LAN.
    if you need them , PM me.
    Last edited by kikkoman; 02-11-2009, 05:38 AM.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

ah, damn time limit.
      have the wifi drivers, too. not sure if you need those.
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Kikkoman what ever it is I NEED it...LOL I agree that his Lappy is very nice. It makes my little Dell C640 look like a cheap imatation chinese made BIC lighter! I just got the Intel chip set drivers in it, but I had to put her on the charger. It gave me the low battery alarm. Finger print reader???? What the hell will they think of next! No I don't know if it has that or not. Here is some info from it: Hp Compaq nc6230, Model PU984AW#ABA. Like I said, it has blue tooth and that is up and running. I don't know what it is but its running...LOL I think the next thing I need is keyboard, and monitor drivers. I can make the screen brighter but I can't make it darker. This could be operator error too. I don't know how big my mailbox is but if you would, please locate and email all the drivers that you may still have. Maybe your wifes stuff would work on it to. I'm running Xp Pro VLK Sp2 on it. I call myself Junk Parts for a reason, and I'm in over my head on this project by a long way. My real email is magicdog39@aol.com. I have Verizon DSL but I use the free AOL interface because I know how to use it somewhat. Don't even ask me what my Verizon Email is because I forgot it, and I didn't write it down. I think its magicdog something or another. Going to have to call them and write it down this time. Then again what good will this do me? I don't even have Verizon's software on this thing....LOL You know, I program Desk Tops for people and they give me a list of crap they want on it so that's what I put on it. Then. some of them will ask me how to use some such thing that they had me put on their PC's. My "stock" answer is, "How the Hell should I now!" I program them....I don't use them. Thanks for the help on this Lappy. I don't think I'll ever get it right without you. The Pawnshop has five more Lappys. These are not Novella PC's and he wants money for these. I'm going shopping today and see what I can get out of him. I want one of these too!
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

Got tired of working on it for now. I ran the Everest progie then just started looking at the pages of stuff that it comes up with. When I find the name of something I look at my notes and see if I have anything remotly named like it. We are down to four missing things I think. Here is what has yellow question makes in windows device manager. 1. mass storage controller 2. network controller 3. PCI simple communications controller 4. unknown device. I think I found out which card reader driver to use so I'll fire it up again and see. This thing has a smart secure card reader that also has a slot for SD camera cards in it .
          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

I'm down to two uninstalled things now. They are as follows: 1. Network Controller 2. Unknown device. I have no clue!!!! Time to take a break from this thing for a while now. It's battery is low again anyway. PS I may take a long break and have a coldie or two!
            Last edited by Junk Parts; 02-11-2009, 12:06 PM. Reason: add
            Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

ftp://kikkoman.serveftp.org/DISK%202/badcaps/nc6230/

Comment

sorry, new link...

ftp://kikkoman.serveftp.org/

username: badcaps
                pw: badcaps

Comment

Thank you so much Kikkoman! You Rock! Now I see what I was missing. I had the Bluetooth wireless installed but I disregarded the systems regular 801.g stuff. You Rule, and Austria rocks too. I have gigs, and gigs of web space that I have never used. Can I give it to you? PM me.
                  Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

I still have one device listed under Xp as "unknon device". I guess I'll run Everest some more and write down everything then look for more drivers.
                    Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Your PC might have a TPM-module. All drivers for this PC are found here.
                      ------------
                      Be a mensch

Comment

Most Excellent call SofTest! Installed all that Security DoDo and the last yellow ? in windows is gone. Thank you! PS my Grand Mother on my Fathers side came over from Norway. I never got to meet her as she passed away before I was born. What does TPM stand for?
                        Last edited by Junk Parts; 02-12-2009, 11:47 AM. Reason: add
                        Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

You can read more about Trusted Platform Module (TPM) her.

I had a hunch about the TPM-module, as I rebuilt the NC6000 I'm writing this on from two defective ones, and one of them had the TPM-module. I didn't install the module though, as I couldn't see a use for it for me.

Yes, a large proportion of the Norwegian population emigrated to the US. In fact, there are about the same number of people carrying my family name in the US, as in Norway. Not that we are a great number either place. I don't think there has been any contact "over there" since my grand parents time, due to no common language in my parents generation.
                          Last edited by sofTest; 02-12-2009, 12:17 PM. Reason: Typo
                          ------------
                          Be a mensch

Comment

Speaking of language, you write in english better than I do. Where did you lean English so well?
                            Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Well, there are no one where. I read 20+ fiction books in English a year, the business and computer literature I read when I was in school was mostly in English, when I worked in the oil industry the work language was English, and no dubbing of foreign TV-programs also helps. Actually I feel a bit rusty writing and speaking English, compared to when I worked in the oil industry 13 years ago, where I spoke and wrote English every day. For improved spelling, there is also the English Dictionary Ad-On in Firefox.
                              ------------
                              Be a mensch

Comment

If you are "rusty" it doesn't show in your writting at all. I took German for two years in school. I still can't compose one complete sentence in German. I have a friend who was a ships Captain for 30 years. He can speak seven languages.
                                Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Don't feel bad about it, I took German in 8th and 9th grade also, and my last teacher told me I wouldn't starve in Germany, but my grammar was bloody awful. The only times I use German (with difficulty), is when I have to read a manual not available in a Scandinavian language or English. It's my firm belief that the only way for most people to really learn a language, is to use and practise it a lot.
                                  ------------
                                  Be a mensch

Comment

Well you win by default! LOL You learned to speak Norwegian as a child. You got the hard one the easy way. What's the best brand of Norwegian beer?
                                    Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

I'm not much of a beer man. I might have 2 or 3 for the thirst, and I'm not that particular about the brand as long as it's not to thick nor watery. If you ask someone else, they will likely nominate the closest brewery. We also got the usual international brands like Carlsberg and Heineken, and I've even seen your Bud's around in some stores. What's might be particular about Norwegian beer, is that almost all of it is brewed exclusively on grain, with no additives to the process. Until 1994 we had a law prohibiting additives, and the breweries mostly stuck with this after the law was lifted.
                                      ------------
                                      Be a mensch

Comment

Norway has a long, and rich brewing history. From your post I can see that the local products of Norway would be somewhat different than our "Buds"...LOL. You still have unfiltered Ales for sale there too. Here if you said "ale to most Americans they would say "whats that?" "Oh you mean the stuff the Brits drink." Most Americans are not well versed in the different types of beers made around the world, and in the UK there are many more things than Ale in the Tap Rooms. I'm sure that in Norway there are brews made in the villages that are never exported. These brews are the heart and soul of Norways brewing heritage. My interest in this area has deep family ties. As a whole my family is no longer involved in this trade but we used to make and distribute illegal liquor long ago. I've had some of this "back woods" stuff, and its not fit for human consumption. My Father Inlaw on my wife side is a Master Distiller of legal liquor, as was his Father before him. He has worked for a few of the bigger names in American Distilling in his lifetime. The funny part with him is that he has never drank a single drop of his product in his life. He is a very Religious man. Now my friend and I do make some "legal brews" at home. Our white wine is so bad that we usually end up dumping it down the drain. Last year we also made a batch of Honey Mead for the first time. It turned out most wonderfully, and it didn't last long...LOL Our Red Wine is so good that I think it could win Medals. We give it away at Christmas, and all people ever ask for is more! The year before last I took some of the red wine to my sister inlaws house for a small family get together. This was and error on my part...LOL Well all the guests wanted was our C&G Red. They drank it up, and wanted more. I went out and bought some $16 a bottle red at the store. They didn't like it one little bit! I ended up making a 170 mile round trip home to get them the last 12 bottles of our home made stuff. Yes I then tried it next to the store bought stuff and ours kicked its butt in every way. We put up thirty gallons of red last fall for 2009. Sometime this week we are going to start ten gallons of Honey Mead. With the Mead its the price of the honey that hurts! By the way, I finnished out the programming on the Lappy yesterday and it works like a charm!
                                        Last edited by Junk Parts; 02-14-2009, 06:08 AM. Reason: add
                                        Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                                        X