e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Hey just wanted to throw out a HUGE thanks for not only the MOSFET substitute part number but the panel fix as well.

I managed to salvage a Sony 70" with the sharp panel after following the steps in this thread.

Comment

I have the exact same vertical green lines across the whole screen as Brando70 has in the post dated 5-3-17. These happened after I did the panel fix. Otherwise, picture is fine. Any ideas to get rid of them? Could I have bought a flaky tcon board? I did go back and double check that there was no residue left after peeling off the tab drivers and reseated all the connectors.

Comment

the "peeled tab drivers" have nothing to do with vertical lines. It is possible you didn't use your glasses when you were plugging / unplugging cables... :-) Try reseating / checking cables at the tcon especially between the tcon and the main board.

Comment

Reseated the LVDS cable and the lines are gone. Picture is perfect. Big thanks to all of you who paved the way on this one.

Comment

Hi guys,
            I have a sony kdl 70r550a tv and I feel like I may have discovered this thread too late. I would love to get some feedback from you guys to figure out if I have caused irreversible damage to the panel.

The tv started with the 5 blink error, so I took the tv apart and without much research, I tried unplugging the white ribbons coming off of the tcon to the panel. when I unplugged the right side ribbon, the tv turned on with the left side looking good [first attached picture]

I removed the ribbon cable that freak have mentioned and this was the result [second attached picture], PROGRESS.

so long story short, I did all that testing before reading this thread. I took it a bit further and started trying to de-attach the bottom boards. I made a stupid mistake as I tried reconnecting the ribbon cables back to the bottom right board while the tv was on [I thought I disconnected it]. Now the tv looks like this [third attached picture]

After reading the thread, I visually inspected the drivers on the ribbon cables connected to the panel from the side boards, and I noticed that the one at the right bottom is a bit brown [see fourth picture for the burnt one I found, and fifth picture is what the other ones look like]

Now I know if I didn't eff up and connect the ribbon cable while the tv was on, ripping the side panels would have probably fixed the problem, as many of the people here have experienced.

Would you guys be able to identify [from third picture] what could I have damaged?. I would like to try to remove the side panels and see what's gonna happen, but I don't wanna jump into it before I get some feedback from you guys. Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately since you have a vertical bar one of your COF chips which drives the panel from the top or bottom is fried. This will not be repairable.
              Never adjust connections while power is on, unfortunately you had to learn the hard way.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hello all.

First off, I want to thank all who have helped others get their tvs up and running or at least taught some of us much about these 70" tvs. I have read all 38 pages and was very informative.

I had a 70" Vizio (E701I-A3) given to me because, you guessed it, sound but no picture. After some diagnosis with help from this forum, I found out the transistor (COXA) needed to be replaced on TCON board. Ordered 10 RTR020N05TL for $10.60 with free shipping. I proceeded to replace transistor ( 1st one failed, might have been bad out of the strip-oh well, it happens.) I then disconnected right lower ribbon cable(looking from the front) and powered up. Unplugged quickly as nothing on screen. Reconnected right lower ribbon cable and unplugged bottom left ribbon cable ( actual cable was the cable on the bottom furthest to the left) and powered up. Now I got picture. I have not removed bezel or peeled back any side boards. I am concerned about those vertical lines at the top. I remembered reading about cleaning connections and re-seating which I have not done yet time ran out for the day.) Is that possibly all that is or is there more that may make it impossible to fix?
                Attached Files

Comment

It looks as if both driver chips on one side of the panel are dead. Worth trying to peel one off, but might turn out that it is not repairable.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It is more than likely you have not used your glasses when replacing cables especially the lvds one between the tcon and main board.... :-)

Comment

Removed left side tab boards and picture is good but horizontal bar at top remains. Re-seated lvds cables but didn't help. Was a nice learning experience. Thank you.

Comment

can you post a new picture of the end result. something still doesn't seem right.

Comment

I am by myself right now and tv is in my shop. Couldn't get all in one shot so I hope you can see the problem. It is all the way across the top of the screen.
                          Attached Files

Comment

:-( it doesn't look good. Potentially the top driver on the remaining good side may have an issue which is bad. If you have time (and help), you might look (visual inspection) at the tab drivers on the remaining side to confirm. There is a "link cable" between the two edge boards on the side that is "unclampable". You could try reseating / cleaning that contact area to see if things change. Still further, not knowing the "design specifics" but on the "fet replacement", is there multiple FET devices on the tcon? If so, is it possible that one of the others is also in "trouble".... just a thought.

Comment

I disassembled the right side to do some inspection. I can't really tell if the upper most tab drive ( not sure exactly what it is called) is burnt out or not. Attached picture. The height of screen is 35 inches. The screwed up area is 7 inches. There are 5 tab drives. The math tells me something is wrong with uppermost tab like you suspect. I also took the ribbon connecting 2 side boards out and replaced with other side's ribbon. Made no difference. Still haven't checked any other FETs because I need to flip tv over but I think it is pointless. Probably time to move on.
                              Attached Files

Comment

:-( no problem. I wish there was better results.
                                I am thinking that perhaps the device isn't actually bad but has lost its "drive voltage". Not sure how easy it is to trace to see if 12v has made it up to that portion of the board.
                                Anyways, I guess it is what it is. I think this is one of the first sets that I have seen with this result, hence my reluctance to "give in".

Comment

had one of these for a few months...got jiwillfixit"s tcon board off of him...installed it...took off the right side cable...it powered up..with noticeable picture problems on that side....took off the drivers on that side...powered up and everything looks good,,,thanks for the info..now to work on a Panasonic with the 7 blinking lights...
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I've spent several days troubleshooting a 70" Sharp Aquos (LC-70LE650U) when I ran up on this thread. I have already tried a new T-Con board with no change, along with a few other parts here and there. I read about 20 pages of posts from this thread and decided to try disconnecting the described ribbon cable in the lower corner(s). After removing the first one (right side if standing behind it....the same side as the control buttons), I powered it up and had a full screen again. Just for additional verification, I reconnected the bottom ribbon cable and disconnected the opposite side (left if standing behind the set). Black screen. So this narrowed down my issue. I gently removed the stick-on ribbon connections, removed the actual boards and reassembled the parts and plastic front bezel. Fired it up and it looks great. Right now I only have the 'menu' screen and a cheap DVD player to test with, but it's miles ahead of where I started. Thanks to the members here for your priceless instructions and tech tips. Looks like I'm back in business.

Comment

Can anyone help me figure out what might be going on with my 70" Vizio? I had no picture but had back lighting. I started out disconnecting the left side driver and then a picture came on for just a second and burned up my t-con board I ordered a new one and tried the right side driver and the only thing that comes on is about 6 inches vertical of white lines right down the center of the TV but the lines "picture" I guess doesn't burn out it'll stay on. Any idea what it could be? Checked that the cable on the tcon were connected right just don't know where to go it seems like the opposite of what was happening for everyone else to fix it.

Comment

Never mind got it fixed the right side driver ribbon cable wasn't connected all the way. Got it going and had green vertical lines every 1/4 in took the cables back off cleaned them and it's as "good" as new

Comment

Hello.. I just got myself the e701i-a3e 70 inch tv as a hand me down.. And low and behold it had no picture just black. I did a google search and found this helpfull guide.. I imediately bought two tcon boards and waited for them to come in.. I followed the gude as close as I could but I couldnt figure out which side to peel the drivers from.. I am afraid I went through one tcon board.. But I want to be sure I am taking them from the right place...

So when I got the Tcon boards in I threw one in imediately to test it. (From looking at the screen itself from the front) When I fired it up I had white with lines on the left side and black on the right side. I didnt take ribbons out cause i wanted to figure out which side was bad. Is there a way I can test with the bad Tcon boards and find the correct side to peel. One of the new tcon boards is dead.. and so is the orginal. Right now when I fire it up all I get is a black screen

Comment

Working...
                                          X